Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

LC2016 wrote: »
    I think Leo did the best tonight.
    *Runs and ducks for cover

you can run but you can't hide

*bang, bang, bang, bang*

*jumps behind the sofa, smashing the china cabinet glass*

• Registered Users Posts: 40,045 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is there a media blackout from Thursday?

No Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭CPTM

I'm really stuck between voting fine Gael or voting green. Head says fine Gael, heart says green.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,081 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a media blackout from Thursday?

Midday Friday onwards. Does not apply to newspapers or online media; only broadcast.

edit: the time might not be right as the BAI pull it out of their arse on an election by election basis, and sometimes its 2pm, sometimes midnight etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KimWexler

Not one mention of overhauling the justice system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

easypazz wrote: »
    She had to come on, she knew the tricky questions that would be asked and she had to spoof through them.

She failed on Paul Quinn.

She didn't have to go on. The only reason she was brought on was so they could hang her. One of the moderators had a clear and blatent conflict of interest. RTÉ as a bailout seeking entity have a clear and blatent interest in this.

Actually I have lost a lot of respect for her political astuteness tonight. She could easily have refused to come on for a myriad of credible reasons.

They won't be getting my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

She might have been better off not appearing in this debate. Her not giving a clear answer on the Special Criminal Courts tells me all I need to know about who's running SF!
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ge16-election-2016-ireland-fact-check-special-criminal-court-2594422-Feb2016/

The UN, ICCL, Amnesty, Mary Robinson and even the bould Charlie Flanagan at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,606 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Joe.ie has a picture up saying use one emoji for Mary Lou, One for Leo and one for Micheál.
    Mary Lou is winning for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd call that a draw. With if anyone MM edging it.

Nobody shone, and all performed to type.

'You are gonna mansplain corporation tax to me' was the comment of the night, because that was what he did essentially. :)

He didn't though. He talked about something that SF were involved in, and accepted a need for it to be managed as is, due to roll on affects.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,860 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No Friday.

This time around those on our offshore islands vote same day as everyone else, a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

KimWexler wrote: »

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

CPTM wrote: »
    I'm really stuck between voting fine Gael or voting green. Head says fine Gael, heart says green.

Im on the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 82,860 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Saturday vote is a good idea, should always be at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sigh....once again it will be a choice of voting for the least worst as there is nobody identifying as best in any shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Absolute fiasco for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

CPTM wrote: »

FG for more of the same. Squandering an economic recovery and boom by making things worse!

Greens for taxes everywhere, but you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling that you're saving the bunny rabbits - until you remember that the likes of China doesn't give a fook what Ireland does!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    She didn't have to go on. The only reason she was brought on was so they could hang her. One of the moderators had a clear and blatent conflict of interest. RTÉ as a bailout seeking entity have a clear and blatent interest in this.

Actually I have lost a lot of respect for her political astuteness tonight. She could easily have refused to come on for a myriad of credible reasons.

She did have to go on. SF made a big enough deal about her not being on in the first place and Pearse Doherty met with RTE on Sunday about it. They would have been a laughing stock if she didn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

CH3OH wrote: »
    It was a bit of a stupid last question .

I thought it was a great last question. Leo was the only one who answered it with any honesty, as he's known for his blunt and insensitive comments. MM made a huge cock-up by chipping in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KimWexler

How so?

Nobody mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

I hope the electorate can see through SF's masquerade......

Lies, unattainable promises, laws of unintended consequences e.g. carbon tax level and non refitting of cold homes, raising income taxes & so lose IDA e executives & companies & jobs and losing the ability to recruit back doctors ,teachers and nurses.

SF would leave the country in a complete crisis.... YIKES!!!!

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »

She demanded to be let on, hoping she wouldn't be. It would have been a serious crawldown to refuse once let.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, all politicians would love to tackle this, but the separation of powers makes it very difficult, we, the public, didn't help by voting against the investigation referendum (which essentially left us with powerless, expensive tribunals).

L1011 wrote: »
    Midday Friday onwards. Does not apply to newspapers or online media; only broadcast.

edit: the time might not be right as the BAI pull it out of their arse on an election by election basis, and sometimes its 2pm, sometimes midnight etc.

2pm Friday this time:

https://www.bai.ie/en/bai-announces-effective-date-for-application-of-broadcasting-guidelines-for-election-coverage/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,045 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is there a poll out between now and polling day ?

Miriam: whats your biggest weakness?

Leo: I'm too honest sometimes

Miriam: I don't think that's a weakness...

Leo: I don't give a **** what you think

Leo:(to himself) i can have you killed Miriam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Love the SF victim mentality.

Cry they're not allowed on.

Cry when they are.

Cry moan whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Nothing about suggested improvements on any key areas such as affordablility from FG.nothing about insurance or judicial reform.nothing on crime.not much to be optimistic about from their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What is the link between miriam and one of the parties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Faugheen wrote: »
    She did have to go on. SF made a big enough deal about her not being on in the first place and Pearse Doherty met with RTE on Sunday about it. They would have been a laughing stock if she didn’t.

In that case poor judgement. Sometimes the best approach is to do very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Nobody mentioned it.

So maybe they don't think it needs overhauling. Not sure what your point is.

Advertisement