Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sagemcom cs50001 Eir FTTH Router COnfiguration

Options
  • 22-01-2020 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,
    I have recievied and am happy with my Eir FTTH connection , amazing speeds 300 MBPS package , but I am a little disappointed with the Router supplied. it has good wifi but from what I can see it is a Sagemcom cs 50001 and if you want to configure a different LAN ip or DHCP you need to ring technical support and they make the changes.
    Does anyone have any experience of this router and how to configure it?

Essentially I would like to turn off DHCP and and just us the WIFI from the unit as i have my own router which as some extra features I need .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Just got FTTH and want to change from the default LAN CIDR 192.168.1.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/24 but in hitting apply it shows successful but stays at 192.168.1.0/24. I am successful in changing the DHCP range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AL FIE C

I am able to apply the DHCP Server change but after i do a reboot it goes back to what it was previously.
    I tried ringing EIR to ask them to switch off the DHCP and they took some time and eventually came back and said the DHCP was off . so I rebooted several times and it was still on . Note i had it connected directly to the Fibre to ensure it got whatever changes were being sent from the server .
    I will ring them again tonight to ask them again.

Just rang Eir and they said it should work, but they wont provide support and can't do it from their end! So in short, a PFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AL FIE C

thats a Pity I will try them again tonight. i got the impression it was not easy to do!..

It is easy to do as its only a few mouse clicks but the config is not persisting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 TopHat2

Interesting, I have just wasted hours trying to contact Eir support about this. Changing the DHCP was easy but changing the Router IP just would not stick. When I finaly got through to Eir Support they said it wasnt their issue. I explained it was either a software locked feature or a faulty modem and they asked for my account number and hung up!

Aside from that the new modem seems excellent. Throughput seems very good. I am now changing my whole network to match the modem range and gateway and most things are working well though in general I'm getting 600mbs on a 1gb link which is fine considering overhead.

If anyone finds a way to change the outer I would still be interested. Also curious is it support Link Aggregation.

Overhead wouldn't chew up 400Mb!! Its just that router is junk. I'm getting much better wifi performance using my UniFi AP's. Next I'm going to remove the provided router completely out of the equation and use my UniFi USG.

Sorry by overhead I should have added that I was connecting to a specific server many hops away in a different country. Local speed tests all show over 900Mbs but I was looking for a proper test. I have Unifi too but unfortunatly older models. I have heard of a few people swapping the Eir router out with no issues.

set WAN interface on USG to VLAN 10 and the rest was plug and play

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Parkowen

Does anyone have a problem with the Eir fibre modem blocking an android box connecting to it? Connects to Wifi but says internet not available and wont load Netflix on the box but it work on the Smart TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Hyenada

Yes Parkowen, My Sony Android Tv is blocked by the new fibre box worked before change but I'm not sure if it's the new box or the updated OS on the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DomKasper

As it stends the modem is broken in my eyes. The thing doesnt do basic config. Nothing new from eircom. You can download sagemcom cfg tool and change it that way but thats just bull

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I just had mine installed,

Half the devices in my house won’t stay connected to the WiFi, they save the network, work for a few seconds, then drop out again and the whole process loops over and over. These devices work fine on other WiFi networks so it’s nothing to do with the devices themselves, tried changing the WiFi channel the router was broadcasting on just in case the neighbour was using the same but no joy.

Has anyone else had this issue ?.

I only have an issue with two devices dropping out and at a glance it looks like some sort of DHCP issue. It only happens once or twice a day and 4G kicks in until it sorts itself out so I rarely notice. You could try a static IP if that was the issue. I have now turned off the Eir wifi totally. Probably not your cause but might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 derptronix

J0hnick wrote: »
    I just had mine installed,

Half the devices in my house won’t stay connected to the WiFi, they save the network, work for a few seconds, then drop out again and the whole process loops over and over. These devices work fine on other WiFi networks so it’s nothing to do with the devices themselves, tried changing the WiFi channel the router was broadcasting on just in case the neighbour was using the same but no joy.

Has anyone else had this issue ?.
    Had to make an account to reply to this, i had the same issue with my phone{all other devices in the house work 100% with better signal then the old F2000} after been changed to the new sagecom router. What i did was:
    Login into the router as admin on
    The password is the default WiFi Key printed on the back of the router/on the piece of paper the installer gave you

Click on the cog wheel beside "Internet connectivity"
    Click on IPv6 and then click the enable "On" tab to turn "off" IPv6
    Save
    Click Eir in the banner and then "Modem Config" cog and then the maintenance tab. Then Restart. It will take about 3<>5 mins to reboot with IPv6 off and you shouldn't have anymore issues with WiFi dropping out. I hope it works for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Anyone manage to use this as a Cable router?

i have two spares ones sitting around and was going to offer one to a friend, but it seems not to get a wan connection on my network

perhaps a WAN connection needs to have vlan 10 for this to work?

anyone got this to work or even flashed other firmware on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

brianbruff wrote: »
    Anyone manage to use this as a Cable router?

i have two spares ones sitting around and was going to offer one to a friend, but it seems not to get a wan connection on my network

perhaps a WAN connection needs to have vlan 10 for this to work?

anyone got this to work or even flashed other firmware on it?

for what it's worth, i tried tagged and untagged vlan10 on the wan port but this router still is unable to get an internet connection on my local network

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dex.madronio

Hi,

I've been able to replace the default router (Sagemcom) with my own router ASUS-DSLAC68U using a PPPoE connection with VLAN tagging to 10. The problem with this setup is that I have a voice service that I cannot use with the ASUS router. I thought of setting up the Sagemcom router in bridge mode so it is effectively a passthrough but it loses the VOIP service outright. I want to keep using my ASUS as it has stronger WIFI and keeps using the voice service as well. Any ideas?

I thought of replacing the ASUS router with something like this --> DSL-AC68VG VOIP MODEM-ROUTER

as it has the best of both worlds (stronger WIFI and a VOIP) but I need to setup the VOIP settings which I need to get from eir. Would anyone know of the generic VOIP settings?

I would appreciate any suggestions. TIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

You could always download their Eir Talk app on iOS or Android and just use that instead of the ATA - not the worst solution if you don't use your landline very much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

You could always download their Eir Talk app on iOS or Android and just use that instead of the ATA - not the worst solution if you don't use your landline very much anyway.

You'll do well to get it on Android seeing as they pulled it from the Play Store over a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 agcomms

If you are having trouble with VoIP on any make of router, try disabling SiP ALG protocol as this feature hinders the registration process.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

We got set up with Eir FTTH last week. I didn't even take the Eir router out of the box, I setup my own self built router (running IPFire) instead. VLAN tag of 10 & DHCP on the WAN port and it got an IP straight away. This is without the Landline or the TV service though.

If one has the TV or VOIP service and if Wi-Fi connectivity is the only problem, an alternative is to disable the Wi-Fi on the Eir router (assuming you can do that?), connect a better router to it, and configure that router as a Wi-Fi access point instead. (I'm using an Asus RT-AC66U configured that way as an example)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 otterboy

I cant get the Primary and secondary DNS servers to change (tryng to install open DNS)
    In basic internet connectivity settings (IPV4) I can set it to manually specify DNS
    and I put in the appropriate DNS server info
    and that stays after reboot

however....
    when I go to modem config
    DNS servers are still in the default
    Primary DNS Server 159.134.0.1
    Secondary DNS Server 159.134.0.2

how can I change these on the new router? (I was able to do it fine on the last one that I have just had replaced)
    any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 timreddin

Hi, like many I find this box too restrictive. I run pi-hole at ho e to very effectively block advertising. However I can’t use this with the CS 50001 as it does not let me set the DNS server address it issues.

I was thinking of converting the box to openWRT and was wondering if anyone has done this successfully. As it is likely to be a one way journey.

Thanks in advance.

timreddin wrote: »
    Hi, like many I find this box too restrictive. I run pi-hole at ho e to very effectively block advertising. However I can’t use this with the CS 50001 as it does not let me set the DNS server address it issues.

I was thinking of converting the box to openWRT and was wondering if anyone has done this successfully. As it is likely to be a one way journey.

Thanks in advance.

My setup exactly. I turned off the DHCP on the router and use the DHCP on the PiHole which is excellent. Solved lots of other minor issues. As other have mentioned the only issue is that if the router reboots DHCP turns back on. I have them set to different allocations which helps a bit if that happens. I also contacted the manufacturer and they said it was a custom build for Eir so talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

timreddin wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

To be honest, if you're savy enough to run Pi-Hole, you're savy enough to replace the router entirely. The WAN settings are even easier with Eir since it's just DHCP on the WAN port with the VLAN tag of 10. Unless you need the phone service, or you're worried about the cost of an alternative router you definitely should replace it if you find it too limiting.

(I'm a big fan of Pi-hole myself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daithi_OO

I have been told by EIR that the Sagemcom CS50001 is limited to wifi speeds of 150mbs. I get about 140mbs. I had upgraded to 1GBS and called to complain that I was not getting it and EIR told me (well about the 8th person I talked to told me) that the EIR Router cannot provide wifi at >150mbs. Bad marketing aside, can anyone suggest a third party router that I can replace to get my speeds > 150mbs??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

you need an ax router for faster wifi speeds, even a good ac router is miles better than the supplier provided

i have an ax11000 and ax86u, both will push 700-800mbps download in same room as the router, notibly falls off the further you move away and more objects interfere

the other factor is your devices, do they have ax wifi?

might be better off with something like an asus ac86, i think you could push 500mbps close to router dependent on distance from router and device ac compatibility or amount of radios your devices have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

does the usb port on this model work ok for network storage...mine doesnt recognise any drive i attach to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IIRC Eir nuked the port in the config in the past. If it doesnt work you don't get awkward support queries relating to it.

Advertisement