Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden Room: Build vs Buy

• 22-01-2020 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

So what do folks think on this one.

Can buy this fully built and insulated, but a bit small

Or I could buy this log cabin, and insulate it myself

Any ideas which would be the better option ?

There is a huge variance in the price particularly when I go larger on the log cabin. The insulated one in the first link seems particularly good value.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

go with second option. You can insulate it better and cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I bought a log cabin for my previous home and it was surprisingly comfy with a small electric heater. I think wood does a good job keeping heat. The roof and floors are where you'll need to insulate, then seal all the gaps with silicone. Don't be fooled by those windows and doors. You'll need to be sealing them too.

I spent a winter down in the cabin in the evenings working either on a computer or doing diy stuff and it was grand.

I'd go with the second option and see how you go. You can add insulation if it's not good enough for your needs

Advertisement