Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting New York City

• 23-01-2020 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi I am visiting NY for 5 days for the first time, with my wife, who is blind. Any suggestions for getting around to the attractions. I looked at some of the bus tours , many with good and bad reviews. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I've been 3 times - most recent trip was the longest at 5 days...
    We rode the train / subway in from the airport and then subway all around manhattan. Subway stations on nearly every corner - and once you get the hang of the layout - it's (IMO) the best way to go - using google maps on the phone!!! Gives all the times and info. Brilliant

The 'top of the rock' is a MUST!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

https://www.moma.org/visit/accessibility/index#individuals-who-are-blind-or-have-low-vision

MoMa allows people with visual impairments to set up either individual or group tours through their exhibits.

I saw these reviews elsewhere and thought it might be helpful to you.

‘Visit the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum. This museum offers an accessible guide book that we picked up at the information booth, and I was totally blown away! With the tactile/braille maps and the accompanying talking pen (you could scan the pen along the pages and it would tell you where you were, plus it read the information placards for each exhibit directly) that came with the book I could have navigated the Intrepid entirely on my own. It was honestly the coolest accessible booklet I have ever seen’

‘Take a water taxi ride. The New York Water Taxi tour tour guide was descriptive enough that I could picture the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge, and Ellis Island’ .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi I am visiting NY for 5 days for the first time, with my wife, who is blind. Any suggestions for getting around to the attractions. I looked at some of the bus tours , many with good and bad reviews. Any advice would be welcome.

I done the topview bus tour and found it fantastic it was about 50 dollars for the 3 days and stops near all the main attractions it included a ellis island boat trip bike rental in central park. Found it the best value and got fantastic use out of it. runs till late at night also does an uptown and downtown route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement