Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recommendations

Options
  • 23-01-2020 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭

Had a quick look and don't see anything general, only specific recommendations. So I said I'd create a thread for all recommendations. Basically, let us know what you're looking for, any similar games you like, genre, style, etc, and collectively we can recommend for you. If everyone keeps adding, we could have a fine collection of recommended games that we can go back through!

So firstly, I'm looking for a game similar to Dust: An Elysian Tale. While I patiently wait for Dodrill to make a sequel (since 2014!!!), I've tried to find other games with a similar style, but nothing has really caught me.

So side scrolling type game, abilities, good story (bonus for funnies) and great gameplay. Not looking for much!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dragons crown?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's loads of games like Dust, lots of way better games as well.

Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge would be my two recommendations.

Ori and the Blind Forest is meant to be great but not gotten around to it.

Also any of the Metroid games, I recently played an finished AM2R (fan made Metroid 2 remake) that is free for PC and it's incredible for a fan project, putting to shame the official Nintendo remake.

I'd also recommend Bloodstained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dragons crown?

That's more streets of rage, Dust is a metroidvania.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Also MURAMASA REBIRTH if you own a vita and Odin's sphere which is on vita and ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I probably should have said I'm picky a fook!
    Dragons crown?

Not liking the art style there, feels like it's lagging constantly in the video I watched. Not as smooth as Dust.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's loads of games like Dust, lots of way better games as well.

Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge would be my two recommendations.

Ori and the Blind Forest is meant to be great but not gotten around to it.

Also any of the Metroid games, I recently played an finished AM2R (fan made Metroid 2 remake) that is free for PC and it's incredible for a fan project, putting to shame the official Nintendo remake.

I'd also recommend Bloodstained.

I thought Dust was utterly fantastic, hooked me from the get go, not punishing hard, good story and characters.

You seem to like recommending games I've no intention of finishing! Hollow Knight, enjoyed the first few hours, but gets too hard imo. Not looking for a game that punishes me, just one that is enjoyable without the added stress of constantly dieing/not knowing where to go!

Axiom Verge is in that class of games I can't get into, pixelated. Call me a quality whore, but I just can't play those games when there's much better looking games out there to play, they're just not for me. Think it may be something to do with it being on a 49" screen, pixelated games just look pants to me. I will however pick up a few of those games if they ever get a modern graphics overhaul. Doesn't have to be AAA quality, but at least not pixelated.

Have never actually played a Metroid game, any decent modern ones for PS4, thought they were all Nintendo exclusives. Bloodstained does look good, I've had my eye on it a few times, but again i'm reluctant as it looks like a punishing game.
    Also MURAMASA REBIRTH if you own a vita and Odin's sphere which is on vita and ps4.

Muramasa does look interesting, but I'm Vitaless unfortunately. Odin Sphere is also looking good, might give that a go!

• Advertisement

You really should give axiom verge a go, it's fantastic and probably top tier for these metroidvania type games. The pixelated aesthetic feeds into the actual game as one of the main innovations of the game is a 'glitch gun' which has loads of strange effects. I also think it looks stunning despite the pixelated graphics.

Bloodstained is good but it's not quite up there with the likes of Axion Verge. It's also not that punishing to be honest.

No Metroid games on the PlayStation. The playstation isn't good enough for them, they're too much fun for it :P

You could also give Guacamelee a go. Not pixelated but it's a wrestling based metroidvania and a very good one.

Also not saying dust is bad, it's a good game but metroidvania is very saturated genre and it's up against stiff competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Guacamelee 1 & 2 are both awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just started playing Time Spinner on the Switch. About three hours into it and it's a really well put together game.

I probably should have said I'm picky a fook!

!

Well you're not wrong there anyway 😛🤭

Just kidding P 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Guacamelee 1 & 2 are both awesome.

Absolutely loved these and enjoyed them over other more popular similar titles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

Trying to figure what to play next. Got a PS4. Last game I really enjoyed was Control. Last couple of games I started and didn't enjoy - Wolfenstein Youngblood and Vampyr. Not a Soulsbourne type of person and no real interest in Assassin's Creed in any of its iterations. Want a decent single player with a solid campaign.

Trying to figure what to play next. Got a PS4. Last game I really enjoyed was Control. Last couple of games I started and didn't enjoy - Wolfenstein Youngblood and Vampyr. Not a Soulsbourne type of person and no real interest in Assassin's Creed in any of its iterations. Want a decent single player with a solid campaign.

God of war, hands down. Seriously, go play it. NOW.

God of war, hands down. Seriously, go play it. NOW.

Already played. Along with Spiderman, HZD, Days Gone and Last of Us...

Ace Combat 7 :D

But seriously if you don't mind laughably funny story but balls to the wall action Ace Combat 7 is a lot of fun.

Have you played the Resident Evil 2 remake?

Ace Combat 7 :D

But seriously if you don't mind laughably funny story but balls to the wall action Ace Combat 7 is a lot of fun.

Have you played the Resident Evil 2 remake?

Aye, played Resident Evil 2. Best game of last year for me along with Control.

Devil May Cry 5 was insanely good.

If you had a Switch there would be more games to recommend, Nintendo had an exceptionally good year for single player games.

If you had a Switch there would be more games to recommend, Nintendo had an exceptionally good year for single player games.

I got the daughter a Switch at Christmas. I tried it out and it played absolute havoc with my carpal tunnel. It's not an issue that I'd really have with the PS4 controller. I was playing it in handheld mode so I'll see what it's like when I hook it up to the TV. If that doesn't work, I'll have to look into a Pro Controller but I'm not in any rush to do that.

Pro controller is much better. joycons aren't comfortable and they are even worse in that terrible controller holder.

But then again the pro controller is criminally expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Muramasa does look interesting, but I'm Vitaless unfortunately. Odin Sphere is also looking good, might give that a go!

Muramasa was originally released on the Wii, if that's an option you have

I found dmc5 decidedly average. In fact, I'd go so far as to say DMC is a better game.

• Advertisement

I do indeed have a Wii, but hasn't been turned on in about 4 years I'd say. Always keep meaning to, ah, upgrade it, to play anything I missed.

The 2 Guacamelee games are fantastic, loved them both. Right up my alley, so more of them!

@GhostofKNugget, have you tried The Witcher 3? Doom is also supposed pretty good, even if I couldn't get into it.

I found dmc5 decidedly average. In fact, I'd go so far as to say DMC is a better game.

No no no!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I got the daughter a Switch at Christmas. I tried it out and it played absolute havoc with my carpal tunnel. It's not an issue that I'd really have with the PS4 controller. I was playing it in handheld mode so I'll see what it's like when I hook it up to the TV. If that doesn't work, I'll have to look into a Pro Controller but I'm not in any rush to do that.

https://www.satisfye.com/products/switch-grip-pro

I got this and makes long sessions in handheld mode more comfortable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have you played Outer Wilds? The most essential game of 2019 as far as I’m concerned, and a good, chunky single-player adventure to boot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I think it’s pretty average as well. If you’re the sort who enjoys replaying and perfecting its combo mechanics, I’m sure there’s much more to it - I’m admittedly not the sort who gets engrossed by Bloody Palace or high difficulty levels (Bayonetta excepted). But as a single player campaign I found it fairly uninspired with some appallingly bland level design. It’s ‘grand’ and enjoyable for what it is - but also as straightforward a sequel and ‘return to a series’ roots’ as you’ll find.

So I completely ignored all advice and ended up getting Cities Skylines, it's on sale on PS4 for €10 with Plus at the moment. Looking at it for a while, so finally took the splash. While it's not the game I intended on looking for, I'm already hooked, but haven't a clue about it yet! Had to start a map with unlimited money as I have no idea what to do, so using it to learn the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

A plague tale innocence. Super game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no real interest in Assassin's Creed in any of its iterations. Want a decent single player with a solid campaign.

I was the same as you and could never get into them despite trying at least 3 of them but I tried AC:Odyssey after recommendations when there was a months trial of UPlay and ended up buying the Ultimate version and I have just finished it there with around 110 hours put into it

it is the nearest thing to The Witcher 3 out there but obviously no where near that epic game :)

just entered my head, but have you tried titanfall 2? excellent campaign and is frequently on sale for less than a tenner.

• Advertisement

just entered my head, but have you tried titanfall 2? excellent campaign and is frequently on sale for less than a tenner.

Played it. Didn't get the hype with it.

Playing Dishonored: Death of the Outsider at the moment, picked up Strange Brigade in Argos for €8 so that's next. Probably going to pick up Outer Wilds and Kentucky Route Zero after that.

Advertisement