Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JethroZ

Had a quick look and don't see anything general, only specific recommendations. So I said I'd create a thread for all recommendations. Basically, let us know what you're looking for, any similar games you like, genre, style, etc, and collectively we can recommend for you. If everyone keeps adding, we could have a fine collection of recommended games that we can go back through!

So firstly, I'm looking for a game similar to Dust: An Elysian Tale. While I patiently wait for Dodrill to make a sequel (since 2014!!!), I've tried to find other games with a similar style, but nothing has really caught me.

So side scrolling type game, abilities, good story (bonus for funnies) and great gameplay. Not looking for much!

If you're still looking, I'd recommend Shovel Knight and Dead Cells from what hasn't been mentioned. Also Dandara and Celeste are good too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not a fan of the pixelated style games, but I have been tempted by Dead Cells a few times. Celeste looks too hard for me to enjoy, while I like a challenge I don't like frustration, which is what those types of games give me (Git Good and all that). Dandarta could be done though, it's smoother than the rest so I reckon I could play through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Celeste allows you to tailor the challenge though and doesn't punish you for it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Celeste allows you to tailor the challenge though and doesn't punish you for it.

Interesting *strokes chin*

The pixels though... I'm secretly hoping that all these pixel game devs eventually release a better looking version further down the line!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think pixel games look far nicer than any modern game when done right. It's an aesthetic that never ages. They often look better in motion as well. Would also rather pixels than the weird Adobe flash look where everything looks like a puppet with different parts being rotated independently. Only vanillaware do that look well.

I played a few PS360 games lately on PC and some of them really have aged very poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think pixel games look far nicer than any modern game when done right. It's an aesthetic that never ages. They often look better in motion as well. Would also rather pixels than the weird Adobe flash look where everything looks like a puppet with different parts being rotated independently. Only vanillaware do that look well.

I played a few PS360 games lately on PC and some of them really have aged very poorly.

m28svFw.jpg
    5N3lhL8.jpg
    NU4dqYQ.jpg

Art direction & skill matter more than whether a game was made in 2D or 3D.
    There's woeful looking sprite games, too.

Exactly, both types of games can be independently brilliant or bad. And people have to remember I'm gaming on a 49", so even if it's a well crafted pixel game, at that size it loses some of its shine (imo). The last pixel game I actually enjoyed was, when it first came out, Stardew Valley. And that was firmly in the same category of Farming Simulator and Minecraft; how have I been playing this game for so long!

I dunno, I also (most likely unfairly) think that using pixels in modern gaming is, well, lazy. Again, I don't know much of game development (yet), but I can imagine it's easier to make a 16/32 bit pixel than, say, a fully animated Dust or other main characters that have more than 16/32 bits! It's a quality whore thing...

Take it from someone that has done pixel art that it's much, much tougher and longer to do good 16/32 bit pixel art than the Adobe flash type animation in dust. I'd even say 8bit is way tougher. Every frame has to be hand crafted and nearly every pixel hand placed.

Dust animation you create body parts once and use the animation system to puppet the body parts. Not that there's not skill involved but the animation and drawing are made a lot easier with the Adobe illustrator tools. Using Adobe illustrator is way lazier and its why no cartoons are hand drawn either, it's all digital flash/Adobe illustrator art as its so much quicker to do.

Today I Learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

On the wishlist, although this far down the line i'd probably get slaughtered by more experienced players.

Same. At this stage I think I'll skip it and try Quarantine whenever it's released. Get in on the ground floor, so I have zero excuses for my suckage. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement