Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x01 - "Remembrance" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

I never realised this was all going along with JJ-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't really get why they needed to build an evacuation fleet. It's post Dominion War, Starfleet alone probably had hundreds of ships it didn't really have a use for add that to the Romulan fleet and two years notice they should have been able to evacuate the whole Romulan system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The new transporters are cool - don't remember seeing anything like them before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    I don't really get why they needed to build an evacuation fleet. It's post Dominion War, Starfleet alone probably had hundreds of ships it didn't really have a use for add that to the Romulan fleet and two years notice they should have been able to evacuate the whole Romulan system.

Depends on the toll the war took. The Federation can't have been in good shape, wars rarely leave nations or empires in an entirely healthy state - especially ones so intense and costly. What was left of the fleet still had duties to perform across the galaxy, especially on the fringes of the Fed. Can imagine a lot of smaller collectives had eyes on the weaker edges of the Fed.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Depends on the toll the war took. The Federation can't have been in good shape, wars rarely leave nations or empires in an entirely healthy state - especially ones so intense and costly. What was left of the fleet still had duties to perform across the galaxy, especially on the fringes of the Fed
    Postwar most militaries, even the losers, have an abundance of spare perfectly usable equipment lying around and unless Starfleet Operation Crossroaded them recommissioning should be easier than building new ships. Narratively it works just as well to have Utopia Planetia recommissioning older ships and beefing up life support to squeeze them in like sardines and them getting destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

just watched it a few hours ago on amazon prime and Wow! What a fantastic episode and a great reintroduction to Picard after 18 years away.
    Really liked the little references that we got (i.e. Bruce Maddox, the word offspring was mentioned as well.)
    Can't wait to see the direction they're going to go with this but bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

I think it's actually going to be halfway between Prime Trek and JJ Trek which is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I never realised this was all going along with JJ-time.

Well, only kinda. The very opening scenes of the first JJ movie take place in this same timeline as TNG, DS9, Voy, Ent, DSC, Picard, etc.

That's when Romulus is destroyed, so that's this timeline, and that's the reason Spock and Niro travel back in time, which then creates the alternative timeline of the JJ films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well they mentioned that they were building 10,000 transport ships. I suppose if a Galaxy class, which would hold 10,000 + crew in an emergency and was one of the largest, that most of the ships they had wouldn't be capable for such a large evacuation. What could you squeeze on the excelsiors, or the defiants. If you're talking about hundreds of millions...

Some of the shots seemed to show that they were building containers that would be towed by ships at warp. I can't remember if it was in this episode or the short trek. Essentially giant containers towed by tug ships.

Well they mentioned that they were building 10,000 transport ships. I suppose if a Galaxy class, which would hold 10,000 + crew in an emergency and was one of the largest, that most of the ships they had wouldn't be capable for such a large evacuation. What could you squeeze on the excelsiors, or the defiants. If you're talking about hundreds of millions...

Some of the shots seemed to show that they were building containers that would be towed by ships at warp. I can't remember if it was in this episode or the short trek. Essentially giant containers towed by tug ships.
    The limit on a Galaxy class is more life support capacity than anything else. A real navy ship the approximate size of Voyager can have a standard crew of 4,000+.

I do take the point that fleet remnants alone isn't enough for 900,000,000 (which seems like a really low number) but they could have started with it especially considering each ship could do multiple runs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I hate to give Mecharandom and Nerdrotic views but I just watched their “reviews” just now.

Comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SantaClaw

I do take the point that fleet remnants alone isn't enough for 900,000,000 (which seems like a really low number) but they could have started with it especially considering each ship could do multiple runs.

If you trust memory alpha Romulus had a population of 18 billion which for the home planet of a major species seems to be reasonable.

900 million might just be the estimate of what could be saved. From the shows, especially the battles in DS9 it seems Starfleet fleets are in the 100s of ships. So maybe the Federation a couple thousand spare ones after the war.

But planets are big, so even with that many, getting dedicated transports that are just boxes with engines and live support makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I hate to give Mecharandom and Nerdrotic views but I just watched their “reviews” just now.

Comedy gold.

Go on, what are they saying? I presume there's still factions determined to hate this however it was destined to turn out.

SantaClaw wrote: »
    If you trust memory alpha Romulus had a population of 18 billion which for the home planet of a major species seems to be reasonable.

900 million might just be the estimate of what could be saved. From the shows, especially the battles in DS9 it seems Starfleet fleets are in the 100s of ships. So maybe the Federation a couple thousand spare ones after the war.

But planets are big, so even with that many, getting dedicated transports that are just boxes with engines and live support makes sense.

I imagine that the Romulans were evacuating also but they determined that the final billion would need more than the available resources

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wouldn't any finished ships get sent to pick up the Romulans asap instant of having them just sitting there waiting for all 10,000 to be finished?

The Federation going all isolationist just because one planet got attacked really felt out of place considering nothing like that was ever considered despite all the wars with the Borg, Klingons and Dominion.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Go on, what are they saying? I presume there's still factions determined to hate this however it was destined to turn out.

She lasted 16 minutes and had to turn it off because it was too violent and boring. :D

She lasted 16 minutes and had to turn it off because it was too violent and boring. :D

Jaysus wept. Well, you watched it so we don't have to I guess :D They'll have another 0.17 cent in their coffers because of you ;)

Venom wrote: »
    Wouldn't any finished ships get sent to pick up the Romulans asap instant of having them just sitting there waiting for all 10,000 to be finished?

The Federation going all isolationist just because one planet got attacked really felt out of place considering nothing like that was ever considered despite all the wars with the Borg, Klingons and Dominion.

Maybe the destruction of Utopia Planetia (and the Federation’s main shipyard) and the deaths of 90000 on Earth’s doorstep was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

You said it yourself, a bloody war with the Dominion, multiple Borg incursions and a Klingon war. This all happened over the course of a decade or so.

In 2010, could you predict the world political chance we have seen since?

The Federation going isolationist is a bit odd too, it's already a multi species alliance. Things getting tough and it balkanising might have been a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Maybe the destruction of Utopia Planetia (and the Federation’s main shipyard) and the deaths of 90000 on Earth’s doorstep was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

You said it yourself, a bloody war with the Dominion, multiple Borg incursions and a Klingon war. This all happened over the course of a decade or so.

In 2010, could you predict the world political chance we have seen since?

It's just bad writing and so out of place for a show based on hope and that the future will be brighter place. A show that has had the Earth itself attacked before and massive Starfleet losses just in the Dominion war alone but the Federation still carried on, yet now it's a case of lock the doors and hide under the blankets.

• Advertisement

I wonder is this the start of the end of the Federation and a lead in to ST:DISC in the future?
    Maybe a bit too early but they abandoned the Romulans, maybe they start doing the same for other civilisations or maybe those civilisations start cutting ties...

Also any rumours online about what happened to the synths?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe they suspected Romulan involvement in the attack and called off the rescue mission as a result?

Venom wrote: »
    It's just bad writing and so out of place for a show based on hope and that the future will be brighter place. A show that has had the Earth itself attacked before and massive Starfleet losses just in the Dominion war alone but the Federation still carried on, yet now it's a case of lock the doors and hide under the blankets.

It was coming though. DS9 pointed towards disharmony and that the Federation was not without flaws or weaknessess. As said this is set after a period of actual war in the Fed, that had to have left mark, utopia or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

fritzelly wrote: »
    I wonder is this the start of the end of the Federation and a lead in to ST:DISC in the future?
    Maybe a bit too early but they abandoned the Romulans, maybe they start doing the same for other civilisations or maybe those civilisations start cutting ties...

Don't think so. I imagine the Federation will have plenty of time to rise and fall and rise and fall again in the centuries between Picard and Discovery season 3. The timeships era has yet to come for example.

I believe the theme of "Picard" is going to be bringing about that first renaissance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Can we call it Frexit (o:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@ Eire Go Brach No horrible words in here please or we will ban together and get the mods to ban you :cool:

I would like to know where wasSection 31 when all this was happening?

I thought they were workingunderground as such to sop things like the Synths going haywire ad attacking Mars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I loved it! So happy to be back in this universe.

About 3 mins after we first saw Daj, I said to my friends "she reminds me of Lal".

Can't wait for more.
    Have just rewatched "The Measure of a Man" and had forgotten Maddox was in it.
    I foresee a lot of Trek rewatch over the next week. Thanks to Netflix for having it all in advance.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comedy gold.

Just watched your woman there - strikes me as a woke millenial snowflake non gender assigning fruitcake (insert other derogatory terms here)
    Your other chap wasn't too bad - at least he actually watched it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just finished the first episode and really enjoyed it. Seeing the Enterprise D at the start was indeed a very nice moment. The only odd bit that I felt was a little jarring was the last scene when we see the Romulan dude introduce himself to the twin, it was just a minute of awkward acting. Actually the Romu-Irish accent was a bit of an odd one as well :pac:.

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    Actually the Romu-Irish accent was a bit of an odd one as well :pac:.

Never noticed that on first viewing - probably because I was giddy with excitement thru the whole episode, but it is very noticeable on that second viewing

Advertisement