Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x01 - "Remembrance" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

The American audience won't have a clue

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

At least the Romu-irish wasn’t as bad as this

longladder6.jpg

Or this

MV5BODE2ODM3MTI0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDIxNjU2MjE@._V1_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it has promise but it wasnt a great episode at the same time , there was a bit too much dumped into it. The acting was good but some of the script was awful , the over sharing Romulan from Swindon scene for instance was very poor.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So when Dahj calls her mother after fleeing chateau Picard, there's a momentary pause and glitch in the comms when she catches that she never told mom his name.

Mom is just a program. The glitch was it/whoever's behind it resetting the responses to her unexpected statement.
    I presumed that the Mom is just a program or hologram being run as a protection program from Datas info (possibly Maddox) to help give her a normal childhood.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I suppose it's possible that she was beamed out an instant before the explosion (like how Sloan was beamed out before Koval vaporises him in DS9).
    I don't see it, it would be quite rubbish, she was melting, why wait for the phaser to explode, why not do it in the beginning.
    horgan_p wrote: »
    In fairness Patrick Stewart is a bloody good actor, vibes of Logan from how he played it.
    Very much so, although I found it jarring that he jumped between Picard and Xavier, it was great when he was Picard
    There was a very Irish sounding Romulan in there!
    Romulan Ale for everyone.
    • Ent-D is pretty
    • Dude, hmm...
    • No off button hypospray?
    • Romulan disruptor? not green?
    • Opening, meh
    • Romulans at Chateaux Picard?
    • Lots of aliens - good
    • FNN - Would you like to know more?
    LOL
    [*]Solar panels on the Golden Gate seems odd in a world with cold fusion
    I didn't notice them but a valid point
    [*]Enterprise museum exhibit hits me in the nostalgia
    [*]Mom's an AI too?
    In the same way we have supposed AI nowadays, I would say more a hologram style program, she can react in a human fashion but is not sentient.
    [*]Lore was as advanced as Data
    Yes and no, technically but not morally, thats why Lore was considered by Daddy as not as advanced I thought.
    [*]Ahh, the nondescript glassware of varying colours indicating SCIENCE
    Bugs the sh1t out of me, had three different TV shows filming in my last 3 labs, all asked us to add colour to our solutions. In one of them I think we ended up pipettign Virkon

The burning question for me is: Why the fook are Romulans living on a Borg cube?
    And presumably the federation know about it as her sister is on it
    I never realised this was all going along with JJ-time.
    In so far as the destruction of Romulus, thats when they split
    Evade wrote: »
    I do take the point that fleet remnants alone isn't enough for 900,000,000 (which seems like a really low number) but they could have started with it especially considering each ship could do multiple runs.
    This, they had a few years, start building transports but also just start doing multiple runs with every free ship.
    delly wrote: »
    Just finished the first episode and really enjoyed it. Seeing the Enterprise D at the start was indeed a very nice moment. The only odd bit that I felt was a little jarring was the last scene when we see the Romulan dude introduce himself to the twin, it was just a minute of awkward acting. Actually the Romu-Irish accent was a bit of an odd one as well :pac:.
    It was really bad, the only thing i could think was that he is in on whatevre is going on and as been sent to either spy or something on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presumed that the Mom is just a program or hologram being run as a protection program from Datas info (possibly Maddox) to help give her a normal childhood.

Yup, Picard pretty much gave it away when his response to her describing her childhood memories was "Yes, it's a lovely memory. And it's yours". Implying it was fake AF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I totally want that Romulan couple looking after me when I retire btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

OK so watched it last night after work on Prime,
    Loved The into, The visuals - nice updates on LCARS and other federation stuff. Story started at pace and you can see Picard grow into it and awaken. Overall very positive and very happy.

Watched the Will Wheaton after trek thing with a sneak into Ep2.
    a HOLY **** moment when we see Discovery Enterprise and TNG Enterprise as projections when Picard enters Starfleet HQ, Direct link to Discovery
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I just read "Romulans at Picard chateau are a clear analogy for Syrians" :(

Well it is !!

It is a analogy to the current migrant crisis - hollywood virtue signalling, still a good show tho..

So that was a Borg ship at the end right ?
    Romulans have these from a previous film or this is new ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Romulans as migrant analogies? Maybe, but that's the beauty of interpretations, they're there if you want to find them, and not if you just want to enjoy the surface. Didn't really register myself that, but then "displaced people" is a timeless theme, unfortunately. Hardly the first time Trek drew parallels with contemporary politics. Bit of a reach though if one's hunting for something to clutch pearls about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Well it is !!

It is a analogy to the current migrant crisis - hollywood virtue signalling, still a good show tho..

But Trek has always done that in the past, that what makes Trek great in the past in that they can, like all great Sci Fi, hit contemporary issues without annoying anyone. Might make some rethink their views, those open to it will see it easily and those not, will just see it as a story.

The Dunkirk analogy was a stretch, plenty of other wars/battles which would have been more on the nose but maybe it is a play to the fact that American audiences might recognise Dunkirk from the recent movie (I haven't seen the movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

The Dunkirk analogy was a stretch, plenty of other wars/battles which would have been more on the nose but maybe it is a play to the fact that American audiences might recognise Dunkirk from the recent movie (I haven't seen the movie)
    Or Picard being French.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wouldn't mind, but migrants through war, preference or calamity isn't even that contemporary FFS; it's literally the bedrock of human history. Just look at where "vandal" comes from, it's a story as old as civilisation itself.

Evade wrote: »
    Or Picard being French.

""""French"""' :D

Honestly I totally forget half the time he's meant to be French, but that's more on Stewart's presence and charisma than anything. Perhaps in the future that part of France became heavily gentrified by English blow ins lol, the Picards formerly the Packards ;)

But Trek has always done that in the past, that what makes Trek great in the past in that they can, like all great Sci Fi, hit contemporary issues without annoying anyone. Might make some rethink their views, those open to it will see it easily and those not, will just see it as a story.

yeah they have always done it , like the one in TNG where people were forbidden to have any kind of sexual relations - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708815/?ref_=ttep_ep17
    This was clearly a nod to the gay rights movement.

Anyway, letting these things bother you is another matter, I personally have seen no bad reactions to the show - apart from minor stuff.

Then again I'm only checking here and imdb..

Ah, I presume the YouTube channels whose stock in trade is outrage and hating on "Property X for being Woke" are still churning out their clickbait polemics.

Of course we had one particular poster in the build-up thread who seemed particularly incensed by the show before it had even aired, himself posting those YT rants. So they're there, they're always there. A life of hair trigger outrage. It must be exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah, I presume the YouTube channels whose stock in trade is outrage and hating on "Property X for being Woke" are still churning out their clickbait polemics.

Of course we had one particular poster in the build-up thread who seemed particularly incensed by the show before it had even aired, himself posting those YT rants. So they're there, they're always there. A life of hair trigger outrage. It must be exhausting.

We haven't seen him since it aired have we?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just watched TNG Measure of a man with Bruce Maddox. Makes for an interesting episode if we see more of the synths.
    I wonder just how intelligent the synths were.

Just watched TNG Measure of a man with Bruce Maddox. Makes for an interesting episode if we see more of the synths.
    I wonder just how intelligent the synths were.

Oh, I hadn't even realised that Maddox was a prior character on TNG. Interesting, that's the best kind of callback really. I wonder if he has been cast; nobody "disappears" in any work of fiction without the prospect of a dramatic reveal & return. Perhaps he was kidnapped by the Romulans to work on their Borg project.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Oh I was absolutely thrilled when they name dropped Bruce Maddox. Measure of a Man is one of my favourite TNG episodes. So happy they haven't forgotten it.

Also, while Maddox was ostensibly the antagonist in Measure of a Man, Data never held a grudge. It's to Maddox that Data is writing his personal report in Data's Day, to help him with his research.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh, I hadn't even realised that Maddox was a prior character on TNG. Interesting, that's the best kind of callback really. I wonder if he has been cast; nobody "disappears" in any work of fiction without the prospect of a dramatic reveal & return. Perhaps he was kidnapped by the Romulans to work on their Borg project.

From his IMDB page, he remained an actor, and stillteaches it. Given that I'm sure we're going to hear more about Bruce Maddox and his actions, it would be nice to see a return of the man himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I was really pleased with the Irish Romulan. Why should they all speak with American or English accents? My take on it is that the universal translator does that when aliens are speaking their own languages. Laris lives on a farm in rural France, so she's speaking Federation Standard for real, with the accent of whoever taught it to her.

We haven't seen him since it aired have we?

He probably loved it ! :D

Another curiosity, I know Picard did mention Android a few times , but they seem to refer to them as "Synths" ... this for new fans who would associate android with the phone OS ? - I would assume so.

Another curiosity, I know Picard did mention Android a few times , but they seem to refer to them as "Synths" ... this for new fans who would associate android with the phone OS ? - I would assume so.

1yydq6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Maybe synths are advanced androids, made out of biological material. That's why Dahj didn't look like a robot, unlike Data.

edit: in the future I'm looking forward to my fone feeling flesh like. I want it slightly hairy on the back for a nice grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm expecting that synths are less advanced than Data. Programmable, controllable. Non-sentient.

That's why Data was and Dahj (and/or her twin) is so important. They are sentient while the others aren't.

They might be using synth and android to differentiate between the two. Not sure yet though.

Goodshape wrote: »
    I'm expecting that synths are less advanced than Data. Programmable, controllable. Non-sentient.

That's why Data was and Dahj (and/or her twin) is so important. They are sentient while the others aren't.

They might be using synth and android to differentiate between the two. Not sure yet though.

What ever happened to Lor ?

And the end of s7e1 in TNG didn't Data just deactivate him ?

He never appeared in the canon since ?

Omg that was brilliantttttt
    I did wonder if everyone forgot about lal. Hello data had a daughter already what's going on

Why are those lads on a borg cube. Are those bombs surrounding it or what? That's victor Frankenstein being an awkward romulan

• Advertisement

If a painting meant so much to Picard that one was in his house and the other he kept in storage, why did he need to ask to find out the name?

Advertisement