Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x01 - "Remembrance" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

If a painting meant so much to Picard that one was in his house and the other he kept in storage, why did he need to ask to find out the name?

I decided it was either/both old age and not having thought about it in yeaaaars, or wanting absolute confirmation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If a painting meant so much to Picard that one was in his house and the other he kept in storage, why did he need to ask to find out the name?

Cos he's old? I dunno, a life lived that well and deep would have many gaps, even with those fondest friends. Even if Data meant so much to him, I wouldn't blame Picard for not recalling the paintings name. As he said himself, he had just switched off and idled himself to old age.

Actually, on that. What is Picard's age in this? We know Stewart is 79, but is Picard older given the longer lifespans of this era?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Jeez i expected a lot more that first episode was boring.i hope it picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

pixelburp wrote: »
    Cos he's old? I dunno, a life lived that well and deep would have many gaps, even with those fondest friends. Even if Data meant so much to him, I wouldn't blame Picard for not recalling the paintings name. As he said himself, he had just switched off and idled himself to old age.

Actually, on that. What is Picard's age in this? We know Stewart is 79, but is Picard older given the longer lifespans of this era?

I think I heard 90 years old mentioned at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

He wanted to confirm it hadn't been recently created, faked or altered.

As Picard knows only too well, your mind and memory can play tricks on you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was really pleased with the Irish Romulan. Why should they all speak with American or English accents? My take on it is that the universal translator does that when aliens are speaking their own languages. Laris lives on a farm in rural France, so she's speaking Federation Standard for real, with the accent of whoever taught it to her.
    O'Brien, although that wouldn't explain why she is not a Dub, O'Briens Culchie cousin :pac:
    TomSweeney wrote: »
    Another curiosity, I know Picard did mention Android a few times , but they seem to refer to them as "Synths" ... this for new fans who would associate android with the phone OS ? - I would assume so.
    They were created as stand ins for 80s bands on Top of the Pops in the future as it was cheaper than having real people play Synths. The Unions were unhappy and led to Picard quitting in a unionised row with the Federation.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I decided it was either/both old age and not having thought about it in yeaaaars, or wanting absolute confirmation
    I presumed it was simply dramatic license. The interface shouldn't have taken so long to recall either, it is just dramatic license, nothing more. Its like when (non Trek reference, sorry) Angel in Angel tried to kill Wesley with a pillow, everyone gave out that he was a vampire and should have just drained him but that would not have as been dramatic. These moments don't hold upto scrutiny but they work in the first watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its like when (non Trek reference, sorry) Angel in Angel tried to kill Wesley with a pillow, everyone gave out that he was a vampire and should have just drained him but that would not have as been dramatic. These moments don't hold upto scrutiny but they work in the first watch.

I think the bigger issue with that scene is that the pillow that Angel tries to smother him with is back on the bed and under Wesley's head a few seconds later. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

The term synths is probably used because androids haven't been the only constructed lifeforms in the Federationfor a good two decades at the time Picard is set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I highly doubt the synths are as intelligent as data. Or even sentient. They seem to be workers.
    It would also mean its slavery. If you watch measure of a man. It will fill you in more.

I highly doubt the synths are as intelligent as data. Or even sentient. They seem to be workers.
    It would also mean its slavery. If you watch measure of a man. It will fill you in more.
    If they're not sentient they can't be slaves otherwise other quasi-intelligent but not sentient things like starships would also be slaves. The TNG episode Emergence, and some early Doctor focused Voyager episodes, touch on the distinction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I hate to give Mecharandom and Nerdrotic views but I just watched their “reviews” just now.

Comedy gold.
    nedrotic's absolutely awful. Can't stand him. Just wants to crap. On everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Stark wrote: »
    I think I heard 90 years old mentioned at some point.

Not sure. Somewhere over 90 I think.

He was born in 2305 so 94-95.

I'm learning Japanese (or trying to at least) and Soji Asha sounded like it could have a Japanese origin to me, especially considering Daystrom is in Okinawa, so I looked it up in a dictionary:

Soji そじ 素地 - foundation
    Asha  あしゃ 唖者- mute person
    At a stretch this could be a slightly poetic description of a hidden android.
    But this is a little more interesting.*
    Ashu あしゅ 亜種 - subspecies
    Soji Asha is the foundation of an Android/Synth subspecies of Human(oid)?

Dahj doesn't seem to mean anything but:
    Da だ - be
    Ji (it's the hj sound, sort of)  じ 児/自 - child/self

Those syllables do have other meaning, that's Japanese, I only used what seemed like the relevant meanings.

This is a similar method to what I do to come up with names for D&D or customisable video game characters. Boil them down to a one or two word description and find a cool sounding word for that in another language.

*I only found this word because of a typo when I first looked up asha.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And Picard is suffering from Irumodic Syndrome.

All Eyes On Rafah

Are you sure?

That was an alternative timeline, there was no guarantee that Picard would develop the same syndrome in this timeline. Other bad things like the tri-nacelle Enterprise-D didn't come to pass.

His time in the Briar Patch could easily excuse him no longer having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Stark wrote: »
    Are you sure?

That was an alternative timeline, there was no guarantee that Picard would develop the same syndrome in this timeline. Other bad things like the tri-nacelle Enterprise-D didn't come to pass.

Definitely sure he has it. Old man found on Starfleet rooftop, talks of Synths and special OP Romulans..... Yep....sure old man.... Back home you go.

Also, why else would he have two minders?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I liked it.

However Picard feels out of place in a modern TV show and the pacing was a bit off.

So basically Romulans are hunting synths because they destroyed the fleet that was going to rescue them from the supernova. Mars was destroyed, ships and thousands of lives were lost which prompted Starfleet to ban synths.

Does anyone else think Data having 5 Queens was a reference/spoiler to Q?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

IvySlayer wrote: »

Does anyone else think Data having 5 Queens was a reference/spoiler to Q?

I've seen it suggested already, but there were other errors in the dream sequence. E.g. Data had the wrong uniform on, having never worn that one on the Enterprise-D. Yet had the correct one in the second dream sequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Spear wrote: »
    I've seen it suggested already, but there were other errors in the dream sequence. E.g. Data had the wrong uniform on, having never worn that one on the Enterprise-D. Yet had the correct one in the second dream sequence.

I don't think that was an error. More so it was a dream and some things were a bit off. I wouldn't dwell on it to be honest.

It was the uniform Data was wearing at the time of his death so made sense from that point of view.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I didn't mean production errors, more so deliberately inconsistent elements due to the dream status.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Spear wrote: »

The creators have said that all this was deliberate to give people invested in Trek that something was “off”. the D’s metallic look, Data’s uniform etc. I think Mars is also a mirror image of the real Mars although I haven’t checked that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pixelburp wrote: »
    """"French"""' :D

Honestly I totally forget half the time he's meant to be French, but that's more on Stewart's presence and charisma than anything. Perhaps in the future that part of France became heavily gentrified by English blow ins lol, the Picards formerly the Packards ;)

He mentioned in the show that they'd "been practicing" (himself and the dog), so presumably he has a French background, but never actually got around to learning it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

It’s a good laugh and they’ve got a fair bit bang on. Are they incorrectly focusing on the Romulans building the cube or did I miss something though? I assumed they had found a wreck or taken one from the Borg.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely sure he has it. Old man found on Starfleet rooftop, talks of Synths and special OP Romulans..... Yep....sure old man.... Back home you go.

Also, why else would he have two minders?
    He doesn't, that's in the graphic novels. Unless the third one is to reveal something nefarious about them.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    So basically Romulans are hunting synths because they destroyed the fleet that was going to rescue them from the supernova.
    No, Romulans are creating the synths. Why, we don't know. The ones that attacked Mars may very well have been of Romulan origin, Tal Shiar or some other faction aiming to take control of the empire. The federation resuce operation would have meant a permanent peace (think of Khitomer), and there are plenty of Romulans who would rather sacrifice a billion lives than have peace.

seamus wrote: »
    He doesn't, that's in the graphic novels. Unless the third one is to reveal something nefarious about them.

I hate this sh1t. I should not have to bloody read comics to get info about a TV show.
    Tell your story on the screen and stop trying to milk viewers for cash

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I hate this sh1t. I should not have to bloody read comics to get info about a TV show.
    Tell your story on the screen and stop trying to milk viewers for cash

I dont see how those comics are canon either, considering Data is alive in the prequel one to the 2009 film.

Advertisement