Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many push-ups can you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My last fitness test in work I done 67 in 60 seconds, the most I've done in that time was 73.

I think my sit ups were 55 in 60 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

elefant wrote: »
    50 push-ups without doing any working out is pretty phenomenal.

Depends on his age, genetics
    Some younger people could do a surprising amount of push ups without much prior working out or training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

None but I’ve a broken shoulder at the moment.

Probably the same when mended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

The amount of bull**** in this thread. The movement standards must be appalling to get the huge numbers people are claiming.
    would love to see some videos to back up these claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

A few
    Benching is easier lol
    They're grand to build up though, did a phase of doing some every night and got to loads

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my push-ups.

I can do a thousand now. 
    2 late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

My last fitness test in work I done 67 in 60 seconds, the most I've done in that time was 73.

Yeah but were they diamond push ups or run of the mill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    2 late

Well, that'll learn me to read a thread.

Although I did at least change the line from 'stomach crunches' to 'push-ups'.

• Advertisement

Yeah but were they diamond push ups or run of the mill?

I had to google what a diamond push up's were, so I guess I just do your run of the mill push up.

But I'm tested by military physical training instructors. Those numbers wouldn't be amazing in the army, very good but not extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I can do those push ups where you stay standing up and lean forward and push with your hands against the top of the dresser or chest of drawers. I can do about 5 of those magnificently.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Do 50 press ups without building up to it. I can imagine the sloppy state of form in accomplishing that

If he was doing full range press ups where his chest touches the ground in each rep then I doubt he'd get close to 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Diamond pushups are very difficult. I can only manage about 10 of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

elefant wrote: »
    50 push-ups without doing any working out is pretty phenomenal.

he clearly didn't do proper pushups ....if doing them after never doing them or for a long time .....you'd only do 10/20 max (proper ones)

You did yeah. You couldn’t do 25 proper ones.
    You’re 50 years old and over 100kg.
    Either you’ve made up this story or the instructors let you away with one inch movement.
    Prove me wrong with a video and I’ll give €100 to a charity of your choice. I’ll send in proof of donation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Don't think I could do 50 just like that. Not proper ones anyway. Maybe 20 and I'd say the last few would look pretty shaky.

EDIT: Lol, just tried. I was being optimistic. Nearly fainted at 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

shutup wrote: »
    Either you’ve made up this story or the instructors let you away with one inch movement.
    Prove me wrong with a video and I’ll give €100 to a charity of your choice. I’ll send in proof of donation

giphy.gif?cid=790b761174cfef979140c7228ceea85c7cb405c9f98d31a2&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

12, just checked, a little out of practice. It doesn't help that I broke a scaphoid bone over a decade ago and never got it sorted, wrist has never been right since so I can't to an open hand push up, on closed fist only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

0 or less than

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Been doing 20x3 ....3 times a day daily for some time, you definitely see results if you stick to a routine .....not as taxing or time consuming as other types of exercises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

I'll put in another €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Well, in the whole of Boards.i.e., there are a few posters I would consider to be straight up no nonsense type of people. Makikomi is very high on that list.
    Lads, I think you'll be getting your cheque books out.

This is not a pop at you guys.

As for my own prowess, I can manage about 11, of the almost vertical against the wall type. I wouldn't risk the other ones, I have what they call 'fear of failure' , or in this case embarrassing/hilarious failure. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

I downloaded one of those push up apps about 2 months ago. There is an assessment when you first use it to see how many you can do. I did 12... pretty pathetic. Then I continued to build it up and in about 8 weeks I can now do about 120. I needed to clear out my wardrobe as well as my arms are now too big for most of my shirts - was lifting a cup of coffee the other day and ripped my shirt.

Oh.. wait, this was all a dream.

I downloaded one of those push up apps about 2 months ago. There is an assessment when you first use it to see how many you can do. I did 12... pretty pathetic. Then I continued to build it up and in about 8 weeks I can now do about 120. I needed to clear out my wardrobe as well as my arms are now too big for most of my shirts - was lifting a cup of coffee the other day and ripped my shirt.

Oh.. wait, this was all a dream.

Hahaha,
    Reading through, I was thinking "well, this is going to be the year, wonder what app this is".

Dang

I'm older than that and lighter than that, and it would be impossible for me to get a video of my last fitness test, and if I could I don't feel I've anything to prove to you.

As regards your donation to charity, that's very generous of you but I do a lot of charity runs and cycling sportives throughout the year, I don't need to do anything for an internet no body.
    Either you’ve made up this story or the instructors let you away with one inch movement

Pick whichever one you choose to believe, I don't care and won't be replying to you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Does opening and closing the fridge and cabinets count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

You asked random people to pick a number and then you'd put your feet on a stool and do that number of pushups?

What? Is it a prank or something?

A plank.

Well, in the whole of Boards.i.e., there are a few posters I would consider to be straight up no nonsense type of people. Makikomi is very high on that list.
    Lads, I think you'll be getting your cheque books out.

This is not a pop at you guys.

There are a lot of straight up no nonsense TALKERS online.
    This whole thread is proof of that.

To put some of these numbers in perspective. I’ve been in gyms for years and seen very few if, anyone doing 50 plus push ups in a row. I played on sports teams for years and never knew anyone doing that volume. I played junior for na fianna but I knew a lot of the senior players. The lads were in great shape and as fit and strong as any GAA team. I think we’d all accept that top club gaa teams are in good condition. They couldn’t do massive amounts of push ups (or pull ups).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

About 3 or 4 , I get a bit bored after that.

There are a lot of straight up no nonsense TALKERS online.
    This whole thread is proof of that.

To put some of these numbers in perspective. I’ve been in gyms for years and seen very few if, anyone doing 50 plus push ups in a row. I played on sports teams for years and never knew anyone doing that volume. I played junior for na fianna but I knew a lot of the senior players. The lads were in great shape and as fit and strong as any GAA team. I think we’d all accept that top club gaa teams are in good condition. They couldn’t do massive amounts of push ups (or pull ups).

Stood on my landing counting out my son's uninterrupted pushups, and he exceeded Maks efforts. Not hugely, but he was aiming to improve on it. I stopped watching before one of us had a heart attack. Bear in mind, he wasn't grinding himself to halt, but I'd admit he was certainly struggling at the end. He was mid twenties at the time.

Edit: I suppose I'm just saying that I can believe it's possible for Makikomi to do as he stated, and cannot imagine him spoofing.

• Advertisement

Did his chest touch the ground and his arms go fully extended on every single rep?
    If so, that’s great. Fair play to him. He’s in great shape.
    The problem is people doing them wrong and claiming the results.

Did his chest touch the ground and his arms go fully extended on every single rep?
    If so, that’s great. Fair play to him. He’s in great shape.
    The problem is people doing them wrong and claiming the results.

Yes, he instructed me first on how to recognise a proper push up. Yeah, he's fit alright. That was s a few years ago, and he still takes care of himself, but probably not to the same ,dare I say, extreme.
    He reminds me of a younger me, insofar as that's what I used to see in the mirror. But apparently the mirror DOES lie to some of us.::pac::D

Stood on my landing counting out my son's uninterrupted pushups, and he exceeded Maks efforts.

Like I said earlier, my numbers are good but not extraordinary (esp for my job).

If he wants to improve I can highly recommend rubber band push ups, in fact rubber resistance bands are a fantastic training aid for all sorts of sports.

My first sport is Judo, and within weeks of switching to rubber resistance bands, kettlebells and TRX my Judo improved noticeably. And with most parks providing training stations its never been easier than to throw some bands and TRX straps into a running backpack and train in the outdoors, I love it.

and he exceeded Maks efforts.

How much more than 9 did he get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It is not possible, the world record for pushups in 60 seconds is 82
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/et-tv/indian-bruce-lee-breaks-world-record-of-maximum-pushups/videoshow/50921646.cms
    Makikomi says they are over 50 years old and can do more than 70 in a minute..

I don't exercise and I can do 30. I test myself every few years to see if i still can do it.

I'm the wrong side of 40 now.

Another test for you all. Stand on your head up against the wall (use a small cushion to ease the pressure on your head). Now see if you can lift your entire body weight by lifting yourself up till your arms are fully stretched.

wakka12 wrote: »
    It is not possible, the world record for pushups in 60 seconds is 82
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/et-tv/indian-bruce-lee-breaks-world-record-of-maximum-pushups/videoshow/50921646.cms
    Makikomi says they are over 50 years old and can do more than 70 in a minute..

Seems I'm better than I thought so!.

Thanks, I like you :D

Completely agree with what your saying. It is not possible.
    However, I wouldn’t credit the guy in video with any push ups. His chest didn’t touch the floor once.
    But it does show the pace that is needed to get to 70 plus push ups in a minute. And it shows the build required for those numbers. Is anyone mad enough to believe a big guy in his 50s can get anywhere near that pace for one straight min?
    And apparently that wasn’t even a good score. So we have all these Irish soldiers who are world record level. The internet chat strikes again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Push up or shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Pretty sure over 40's do a modified push up in the army too i.e on their knees

SSr0 wrote: »

Its optional for men over 40's and women of all ages, but so far as I know if you do a modified push up regardless how many you do you just get a pass (which is grade IV or V, can't remember which). That can affect whether you get career courses & oversea's missions.

The video I posted has the modified push up and sit up for over 40's men and women.

Since there's an issue being made of my age in the interests of clarity over 50's (I'm 53) are exempt from push ups, sit ups and running but very few avail of this option

Modified push ups ������ . You left that bit out. No you’re trying to muddy the waters mentioning exemptions. You either did proper push ups or you didn’t. Which is it? Somebody else better ask because conveniently he won’t be replying to me.
    So much for straight talking!

SSr0 wrote: »

haha! ya brat! :D:D

(of to google army pushups manual :pac::pac:)

Anyone who can't do push ups but would like to try well an app developer Fitness22 has a 0-100 push up programme which takes you from someone who can't do a single push up to someone who can do 100 in a ten week programme.

I've never used this programme but I've coached 0-5km groups using their C25K app, its free and highly recommended for the non runner so I'd imagine their 0-100 push up app is just as good.

I've used their 5-10k (when coming back from injury) and 10 to half marathon apps for my own training, they're a brilliant developer.

haha! ya brat! :D:D

(of to google army pushups manual :pac::pac:)

No idea why its not embedding now, but there's a video posted on post number 61

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Jaysis Mak is getting lashed out of it :pac:

I have regularly perfromed 60/70+ push ups in 60 seconds in the past. It's not extraordinary, quite common in the job and yes with proper form. It's a by product of doing push ups every day....you get good at them.

There were days when you may end up doing 300+ push ups a day but thats when you were a young lad and had been bold.

Can I do 60+ now? No. Do I see other lads doing it? Yes.

People saying others cant do 60/70+ in 60 seconds must be just weak lazy bastards.

Of course it can be done. Just not by everyone who says they can do it.
    I think we both know what’s going on here but you don’t want to hang your pal out to dry!

Jaysis Mak is getting lashed out of it :pac:

I have regularly perfromed 60/70+ push ups in 60 seconds in the past. It's not extraordinary, quite common in the job and yes with proper form. It's a by product of doing push ups every day....you get good at them.

There were days when you may end up doing 300+ push ups a day but thats when you were a young lad and had been bold.

Can I do 60+ now? No. Do I see other lads doing it? Yes.

People saying others cant do 60/70+ in 60 seconds must be just weak lazy bastards.

Getting lashed out of it by an internet nobody too :o

I can't live with the shame of it.

Haven't trained push ups in ages, but off the top of my head I'd easily manage 40 or 50 plus, but I'd be up at 60 very quickly.

I'm training for a triathlon at the moment so push ups aren't high on my list of things to train for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Of course it can be done. Just not by everyone who says they can do it.
    I think we both know what’s going on here but you don’t want to hang your pal out to dry!

Well I have never seen Mak do his fitness test so I wont say he did.

All I can say is that I have done it in the past and I see others do it on a weekly basis, its no big deal.

If you have never seen it or never done it, well I can only suggest doing a push up programme for a few weeks/months to see what you can achieve. Instead of talking bollox, why not test yourself instead of being jealous.

You havent told us how many you can/cant do.

Push ups are a daily occurrence in a soldiers life for a big chunk of their career. Now, not everyone can do 60/70 in a minute, some can some cant but its not unusual to see it at all.

I'd probably only get 15 proper ones in 60 seconds in my current shape. Lack of practice and a double shoulder injury.

What is an internet nobody? Someone who doesn’t spend years building up a false persona online.
    You lied. You got called out. You started name calling. You refused to engage. You tried to change the subject. You are the nobody because you deceive people on boards about who you are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement