Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half of Americans don’t know 6m Jews were killed in Holocaust (survey)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So what?

Probably more don't know the total number of dead from WWII.

Why should they?

I wish it was a written exam. The question "What was the Holocaust" would illicit some hilarious answers I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

It's European history, although obviously they were heavily involved in ww2.

Would we be able to answer basic American history questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

It's European history, ...

That's an extremely narrow point of view. The Holocaust is surely world history.

rock22 wrote: »
    That's an extremely narrow point of view. The Holocaust is surely world history.

Well, everything that happens on our planet is "world" history. However, certain events (or in the case of the holocaust, a series of events) can be localised to a specific region.

However, why should modern Americans be required to possess such knowledge? It would behove them better to know how many people died in their own Civil war, for example. Or have a rough estimate of how many native Americans were slaughtered in their own country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Tony EH wrote: »
    However, why should modern Americans be required to possess such knowledge? It would behove them better to know how many people died in their own Civil war, for example. Or have a rough estimate of how many native Americans were slaughtered in their own country.

It's not required. There has been a recent (global) rise in antisemitism, hate-crimes, rise of the far-right, white-supremacy. The common denominator is often ignorance, which is why education is key. This recent survey for instance shows how little Americans know about e.g. the Holocaust in general, not just the 6m figure. Highlights a possible need for better education and efforts to tackle online disinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I doubt more than half the Irish population know either?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

It's not my point of view, I'm guessing how much emphasis they put on it in the American education system.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's not required. There has been a recent (global) rise in antisemitism, hate-crimes, rise of the far-right, white-supremacy. The common denominator is often ignorance, which is why education is key. This recent survey for instance shows how little Americans know about e.g. the Holocaust in general, not just the 6m figure. Highlights a possible need for better education and efforts to tackle online disinformation.

People "knowing" a death toll for one instance of man's inhumanity to man isn't going to do anything to tackle the issues you bring up in the paragraph above.

Combating the rise of nefarious political beliefs needs much more than cheap tertiary historical knowledge.

Tony EH wrote: »
    People "knowing" a death toll for one instance of man's inhumanity to man isn't going to do anything to tackle the issues you bring up in the paragraph above.

Which is why I mentioned "This recent survey for instance shows how little Americans know about e.g. the Holocaust in general, not just the 6m figure."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Jimmy kimmel does a piece on his show asking the public simple questions. Remember seeing one where they couldn’t even point out America on a world map. Americans.

Which is why I mentioned "This recent survey for instance shows how little Americans know about e.g. the Holocaust in general, not just the 6m figure."

That's not going tackle it either though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't think so. If that were true, we'd surely give equal attention to contemporaneous Japanese atrocities?

How many here can say how many were killed in the "Asian Holocaust"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

USA is pro Isreal. I doubt they're at risk of being a hot hed of anti semitism regardless of what they know about the holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

[QUOTE=Tony EH;112333591

Probably more don't know the total number of dead from WWII.
    [/QUOTE]

Nobody does. The uncertainty over death tolls for WW2 is the same range as the actual total deaths for WW1 (about 15m).

USA is pro Isreal. I doubt they're at risk of being a hot hed of anti semitism regardless of what they know about the holocaust.

Antisemitism and antisemitic attacks are on the rise over there. There's no magic bullet to solve it, but education (or lack of) definitely plays a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I doubt more than half the Irish population know either?

When you look at what Ruairi Quinn and Richard Bruton did to the history syllabus you're probably not wrong. Those two cleary want nobody to learn the lessons of history, preferably by not teaching them. A population that lives only in the now as consumers is a population easily controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

I find this article (and survey) quite disrespectful to other victims of the Holocaust. At least 700,000 Soviets, 200,000 non-Jewish Poles, 200,000 Roma people were exterminated in nazi camps. Aren't they worth the mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

This is good news. It shows that Holocaust lies are fading from consciousness.

The 6 million figure is preposterous. The true number is difficult to estimate, but it's probably closer to half a million or less, and the vast majority of those were a result of disease and starvation when the supplies were cut off.

Jewish pressure groups aren't happy with this development, but that shouldn't worry us. They have used the lie of the six million to guilt trip Europeans and Germans in particular for too long as it is.

Oh dear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure what this says other than the fact that people don't know the answer to a question. This is really not unusual and there are many questions many of us don't know the answer to. Had they not known what the Holocaust was you'd be more concerned. Generally a fan of the Guardian but there are times ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

wcooba wrote: »
    I find this article (and survey) quite disrespectful to other victims of the Holocaust. At least 700,000 Soviets, 200,000 non-Jewish Poles, 200,000 Roma people were exterminated in nazi camps. Aren't they worth the mention?

That's a good point. Many non-German non-Jews died in the camps, as did communists and other dissidents. In some cases the Jewish population was only about 12%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Only 4% of Americans hold passports. Not really a shock that the be all and end all for a lot of Americans is within their own country. Quite an insular nation.

Nobody does. The uncertainty over death tolls for WW2 is the same range as the actual total deaths for WW1 (about 15m).

Nobody knows any death toll for certain. These things are practically impossible to quantify. That includes the holocaust.

However, my point is that this kind of mickey mouse knowledge is really meaningless. Knowledge of certain historical events is fine. But the is idea that "Half of Americans don't know 6m Jews were killed in Holocaust" is somehow a reason for concern is a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

I'd put fifty quid on the same headline result if Irish people were asked.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Only 4% of Americans hold passports. Not really a shock that the be all and end all for a lot of Americans is within their own country. Quite an insular nation.
    40%, not 4% - https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-42586638

Still small and insular, but 4% would be remarkably improbable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

The 6 million figure is preposterous. The true number is difficult to estimate, but it's probably closer to half a million or less, and the vast majority of those were a result of disease and starvation when the supplies were cut off.

Jewish pressure groups aren't happy with this development, but that shouldn't worry us. They have used the lie of the six million to guilt trip Europeans and Germans in particular for too long as it is.

Id recommend Timothy Synders 'bloodlands' which covers stalin and Hitler atrocities. I'd also recommend visiting treblinka, belzec and chelmno. These are extermination camp sites.

The people you are listening to, telling you of a Jewish conspiracy are lying to you and making you come across very poorly.

Here we go..

All the figures from WW2 are preposterous (e.g. Soviet POWs) or just the Jewish figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Id recommend Timothy Synders 'bloodlands' which covers stalin and Hitler atrocities. I'd also recommend visiting treblinka, belzec and chelmno.

The people you are listening to, you can telling you of a Jewish conspiracy are lying to you and making you come across very poorly.

It's just straight up Holocaust denial bullshít.
    There should be no doubt about the fact that the Nazis singled out the European Jewish population for extermination particularly from 1941 until the end of the war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

It's just straight up Holocaust denial bullshít.
    There should be no doubt about the fact that the Nazis singled out the European Jewish population for extermination particularly from 1941 until the end of the war.

I know. Unfortunately cliff doesnt. I blame the scumbags on Youtube he's watching telling him otherwise

Advertisement