Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half of Americans don’t know 6m Jews were killed in Holocaust (survey)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Nollog

I know. Unfortunately cliff doesnt. I blame the scumbags on Youtube he's watching telling him otherwise

It's refreshing to see someone not attack people who watch YouTube history and instead tell them good source material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I wonder how many Germans know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

/\/ollog wrote: »
    It's refreshing to see someone not attack people who watch YouTube history and instead tell them good source material.

Anyone can make a convincing video on a subject. Unfortunately there are alot of bad actors who make factually incorrect material. I've definetly watched stuff that's factually incorrect and fallen for it.

Fortunately there is wealth of peer reviewed material on the subject of the second World War.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There are plenty of informative Youtube videos on the subject, that come right away in any search, someone actually has to make more of an effort to find the denial stuff. Same goes for any source. There's no excuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why do people think pretending to be thoughtful and moderate would work here. Obvious Holocaust denialism is obvious.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

It's fine that they don't know the numbers. But I've heard people not even hear of Hitler and what he did and it just astounded me. I even knew who Hitler was and what he did when I was 12. I didn't do history class on it either. I just knew, somehow...
    In my eyes I regard it as common knowledge, like 9/11, the Titanic, or what the recent awful bushfires in Australia will be in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

How many irish people would know how many died in the famine of the top of there head ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

What a crock, just under 70% of those who answered said 3 million or more. Ridiculous headline.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mr.burgess wrote: »
    How many irish people would know how many died in the famine of the top of there head ??

One million. About the same number emigrated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    What a crock, just under 70% of those who answered said 3 million or more. Ridiculous headline.

But don't you see, that's not good enough. They all have to say 6 million and no less in order to be doctrinally correct. A war-time tragedy has been twisted, exaggerated, and made into a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

But don't you see, that's not good enough. They all have to say 6 million and no less in order to be doctrinally correct. A war-time tragedy has been twisted, exaggerated, and made into a religion.

I shouldn't engage, but I am curious.

If vast numbers of European Jews weren't killed in the extermination camps then where did they all go?

And you had to get that of google just like myself as i forgot maybe the americans forgot as well no harm in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

How many irish people would know how many died in the famine of the top of their head ??

So what you're saying there is that one million Irish people would know how many died in the famine. That's about 20% of the population!

In future, why not read the question properly before posting a stupid answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This is good news. It shows that Holocaust lies are fading from consciousness.

The 6 million figure is preposterous. The true number is difficult to estimate, but it's probably closer to half a million or less, and the vast majority of those were a result of disease and starvation when the supplies were cut off.

Jewish pressure groups aren't happy with this development, but that shouldn't worry us. They have used the lie of the six million to guilt trip Europeans and Germans in particular for too long as it is.

Thank you so much for this Montgomery. For the first page or so a lot of people were kind of questioning whether this survey result is all that big a deal. Then you came a long with a powerful reminder of the consequences of total ignorance of history.

Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I shouldn't engage, but I am curious.

If vast numbers of European Jews weren't killed in the extermination camps then where did they all go?

The World Jewish Almanac shows a slight increase in Jewish world population between 1933 and 1948. Holocaust fans say that this is only an estimate, and that it's not correct, and maybe they're right, but they don't cite alternatives. And if these population numbers were such a reprehensible lie, why did a Jewish journal publish them?

And you had to get that of google just like myself as i forgot maybe the americans forgot as well no harm in it

Nope. I did google it to double check but the figure off the top of my head was correct.

The World Jewish Almanac shows a slight increase in Jewish world population between 1933 and 1948. Holocaust fans say that this is only an estimate, and that it's not correct, and maybe they're right, but they don't cite alternatives. And if these population numbers were such a reprehensible lie, why did a Jewish journal publish them?

Thats what not I asked.

And I googled the World Jewish Almanac, it's just called The World Almanac or The World Almanac and Book of Facts. Have you added Jewish to the name to add credence to your point? Seems a bit dishonest.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is good news. It shows that Holocaust lies are fading from consciousness.

The 6 million figure is preposterous. The true number is difficult to estimate, but it's probably closer to half a million or less, and the vast majority of those were a result of disease and starvation when the supplies were cut off.

Jewish pressure groups aren't happy with this development, but that shouldn't worry us. They have used the lie of the six million to guilt trip Europeans and Germans in particular for too long as it is.

Do not post in this thread again

Everyone else, please ignore the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's fine that they don't know the numbers. But I've heard people not even hear of Hitler and what he did and it just astounded me. I even knew who Hitler was and what he did when I was 12. I didn't do history class on it either. I just knew, somehow...
    In my eyes I regard it as common knowledge, like 9/11, the Titanic, or what the recent awful bushfires in Australia will be in years to come.

I agree with you knowing the numbers is not that bad as long as your informed in what has happened. That been said some deniers use number to see look not that many died and it was the hunger that took them not Nazis glossing over it was the there policies that made them starve. If someone said it was hunger and not the English that caused the Irish to die in the Famine and they are not to blame the same deniers would go mad

Nope. I did google it to double check but the figure off the top of my head was correct.

Fair enough i thought the figure was higher than that for some reason

• Advertisement

Fair enough i thought the figure was higher than that for some reason

In fairness, I do enjoy History and listened to the In Our Time episode about it last year about it so I might not be typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Beasty wrote: »
    Do not post in this thread again

Everyone else, please ignore the poster

I fully understand why you banned him, but at the same time I'd be interested to know how he came to such a conclusion, who he's watching or read.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Given the sketchy knowledge many folk here have of Irish history...

I'd put fifty quid on the same headline result if Irish people were asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you for this. Let us please respect and honour the innocent dead. Not manipulate "damned lies and statistics" that were innocent people cruelly slaughtered
    Tony EH wrote: »
    People "knowing" a death toll for one instance of man's inhumanity to man isn't going to do anything to tackle the issues you bring up in the paragraph above.

Combating the rise of nefarious political beliefs needs much more than cheap tertiary historical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I fully understand why you banned him, but at the same time I'd be interested to know how he came to such a conclusion, who he's watching or read.

Theres no shortage of conspiracy folk and holocaust deniers on youtube and the like. Doubt they'd be that hard to find and most regurgitate the same stuff .

Denialist and revisionist stuff. Those who fall for it are typically antisemites who only challenge the figures of Jews killed, but don't challenge any of the other figures - which should give you a clue

Like flat earth, conspiracy theories, UFO's there is a lot of convincing looking "material" out there that prey on lay-people and like-minded individuals

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Denialist and revisionist stuff. Those who fall for it are typically antisemites who only challenge the figures of Jews killed, but don't challenge any of the other figures - which should give you a clue

Like flat earth, conspiracy theories, UFO's there is a lot of convincing looking "material" out there that prey on lay-people and like-minded individuals

Confirmation bias, they are already anti-semitic and then seek out sources of information to back up their prejudice.

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Are you a jew ?? Not that it matters really just seems as though it offends you alot , i think there idiots who deny it or the number said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I'd say we in Europe get inundated with a lot of Holocaust news, possibly more than the US does?

For example, the word 'Holocaust' currently appears 11 times on the Guardian homepage.

• Advertisement

beans wrote: »
    I'd say we in Europe get inundated with a lot of Holocaust news, possibly more than the US does?

For example, the word 'Holocaust' currently appears 11 times on the Guardian homepage.

It's currently the 75th anniversary, many world leaders are down in Israel right now attending an event

Advertisement