Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half of Americans don’t know 6m Jews were killed in Holocaust (survey)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Tony EH wrote: »
    Making "holocaust denial" illegal is preposterous.

People should be free to deny or believe anything they wish. Proscribed belief systems, no matter how absurd, should be shunned by everyone.

The only place this is true, is in the US. There are no 'proscribed belief systems' there, freedom of speech and freedom of religion prevent that. Ireland lacks these, unfortunately.

As odious as holocaust denial is, and as odious as those that believe it are, in the US they're free to express their beliefs.

Not so in Germany or other European nations. Their countries, their laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is a strange place the US. But they are very smart people. Yes there are lots of people who fall through the education loop. If you are from disadvantaged area it can be very easy to do.

There lies the biggest misconception off the US. Everyone thinks they are living these charmed lives, the reality is dramatically different, they have huge poverty and social issues over there. You either have or you don't have. Some parts of the states are awful.

I like to think that I am the smartest guy in the room. But a friend asked me to pinpoint French Polynesia on a Globe the other day and I hadn't a clue. I have no idea what the 5th largest city in China is , or where it is on a Chinese map. Not everyone has time to work out what the Iberian peninsula is or how long it takes to drive from Guadalajara to Belize.

I am from a very poor background and a country that makes border with 10 countries, not only TWO, yet even my illiterate grandmother that never went to school for a single day would know where let's say, a neighbour country like Argentina is. To all of them I had to explain where Brazil is, I am not talking about Burkina Faso or Tajikistan. They also not know the difference between South America and American South or Southern America.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

skallywag wrote: »
    Well, to be honest with you, as soon as you made said comments I took one look at your username, and to be honest it just kind of clicked, IAMAMORON.

No elephant in this room.

The Holocaust most certainly happened, there was a massive hatred towards Jews in central europe at this time.

Do you reckon there is a deficit of effort being put into the education system in the US? Is it feasible that their capitalist society has turned its' back on their citizens who are born into poverty?

I doubt their citizens are endemically thick? It is surely their education system at fault, as opposed to it being some sort of genetic deficiency?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ironicname wrote: »
    I have no issue with the official count. But the fact that questioning it is illegal is terrifying.

What would be the agenda of those questioning whether the Holocaust happened though? Keen students of history or something much more sinister?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Strazdas wrote: »
    What would be the agenda of those questioning whether the Holocaust happened though? Keen students of history or something much more sinister?

You'll also notice they rarely question any other facts or figures from WW2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

biko wrote: »
    Holocaust denial includes believing the numbers are lower than 6 million.
    In some places it can lead to prison.

Example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_against_Holocaust_denial

And in Russia stating that the Red Army committed war crimes such as mass rapes carries a 5 year prison sentence under a charge of "Tarnishing the good name of the Red Army".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

archer22 wrote: »
    And in Russia stating that the Red Army committed war crimes such as mass rapes carries a 5 year prison sentence under a charge of "Tarnishing the good name of the Red Army".

More nuggets of sentiment and wisdom, how profound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    More nuggets of sentiment and wisdom, how profound.

Your sounding a bit buttsore..what happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's European history, although obviously they were heavily involved in ww2.

Would we be able to answer basic American history questions?
    WW2 is very much a part of American history.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

archer22 wrote: »
    they even raped Russian women ...as they freed them from the camps and as they returned through towns and villages ...they went mental

Still without them you wouldn't have won ww2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement