Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping out an ssd

Options
  • 23-01-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I'm going to swap out a small ssd, it's only 60gb, just want to put in a bigger one.

Is it possible to just create an image, will windows 10 pro play nicely with being put on a new ssd.

Previously I've used ghost/true image, most recently macrium reflect, that was a good few years ago. Is creating a windows image the best way to proceed these days?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

eeepaulo wrote: »
    I'm going to swap out a small ssd, it's only 60gb, just want to put in a bigger one.

Is it possible to just create an image, will windows 10 pro play nicely with being put on a new ssd.

Previously I've used ghost/true image, most recently macrium reflect, that was a good few years ago. Is creating a windows image the best way to proceed these days?

Thanks

Personally speaking I'd start off with a fresh install of windows and transfer any documents or files you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You can clone the old SSD onto the new one.

I did this when i changed from a HDD to and Samsung 970 SSD. The leaflet with the SSD gave instructions to download their cloning app, I cannot remember the name, and then you use that and it clones your drive. There are a lot of cloning apps out there.

Worked perfectly fine.

I think there may even be a method of cloning the disk within Windows itself. There is a mirror disk option. That might clone it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Str4ngeBr3w

I did this tonight myself, I used two freeware programs. Macrium Reflect that You previously mentioned and then EaseUs Partition Master to expand the cloned partition size after the swap.

22 minutes well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I ended up using macrium reflect myself, was just worried about it asking me to activate windows, or there may have been a better way.

Went fine, nothing bad happened. Connected new ssd on a different SATA cable, cloned ssd, powered down, connected new ssd on previous ssd SATA cable (tidier), booted, all good.

Didn't even need to use partition master (although I have previously, great program) windows resized it too, Disk management.

Advertisement