Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Monitoring

Options
  • 23-01-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I've decided to cancel my phonewatch monitoring just because of the fee every month, I simply want to have a stand alone alarm that I can set if I wish (unmonitored). Phonewatch have told me that I cant have a standalone alarm because if I cancel the monitoring the complete alarm will stop working. Is this true or false, will the entire system shut down if I cancel the monitoring? I cant see any ref to this in my contract. Thanks for any help on this. The alarm is 2 years old.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its the new system with the cameras inside your house (why anyone would want this is beyond me) then yes they are correct. Its their alarm not yours, you are only renting it.
    See T & Cs.. 5. OWNERSHIP OF THE ALARM SYSTEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

KoolKid wrote: »
    If its the new system with the cameras inside your house (why anyone would want this is beyond me) then yes they are correct. Its their alarm not yours, you are only renting it.

The cameras are not active all day only when there is an intruder or a smoke alarm activation do they takes images they don’t have the ability to record and they won’t take the alarm away either .

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

KoolKid wrote: »

The cameras are not active all day only when there is an intruder or a smoke alarm activation do they takes images they don’t have the ability to record and they won’t take the alarm away either .

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

How old is your system? Like Koolkid says the system is theirs so they have the right to remove it. Be careful, they do have a disconnections resource.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The cameras are remotely connected to a monitoring station. Any streaming connection would have a buffer to view pre alarms etc so imaging must be recorded somewhere to facilitate such features. The alarm is theirs not yours. If they choose to reclaim it they can. Often it's more beneficial for them to leave it there in the hope of a free resale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The cameras are not active all day only when there is an intruder or a smoke alarm activation do they takes images they don’t have the ability to record

The point is you are allowing a 3rd party to view cameras installed within your home. I can't understand why anyone would willingly allow this.

There is little point in having the cameras if it were not possible for them to record. If an intruder were in your home and was caught on camera wound you be satisfied if there was no recording? Of course not!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

2011 wrote: »
    The point is you are allowing a 3rd party to view cameras installed within your home. I can't understand why anyone would willingly allow this.

There is little point in having the cameras if it were not possible for them to record. If an intruder were in your home and was caught on camera wound you be satisfied if there was no recording? Of course not!

Yep, agree 100%, its voyeuristic at the very least but no-one seems bothered in the real world. My 2 kids live in mu home and no way no how would I be opening a port to view that

Advertisement