Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 and no job offers

• 23-01-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I'm 22yrs old and currently doing a PLC in Dun Laoghaire. My parents have been giving me the hint that I'll need to move out soon if I don't go into college next year or get a part time job.

The issue is I've been applying for about 40 jobs now online and in real life handing in CV's in places like Blackrock,Dun Laoghaire and town. I haven't heard any response except for Argos and from the interviewers p.o.v, my lack of experience put her off and I didn't get called for a second interview.

Should I lie about experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭tara73

I don't think you should lie about experience, it will only backfire, i.e. worst case a lot embarrassement for you and loosing the job again.

The qeustion is more why you're not successful in any of this interviews.Could it be you come across a bit unsure about yourself, a bit lost and without much self esteem? that would often be more off putting for potential employers than lack of experience.

you should show eagerness, and that you really want the job and are willing to learn. Do you sell yourself well in interviews like telling them your positives ?

It's hard to say really why you're so unsuccesfull without knowing you at all, maybe you apply for the wrong jobs but I guess with 40+ sent out applications there should be at least some which suit you and you'll find appealing.

Did you ever consider doing some interview coaching? Would be maybe worth spending the money on it as it could help improving your interview skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Don't lie about experience, of you've identified that as a weakness build on it.
    Have you any non-work experience you are not considering?
    For example team-work in sports?

Do you do any volunteering work? That's tonnes of organisations and community projects looking for volunteers. What sector are you looking to get in to? If retail, try offering services with charity shops.

Just because you don't have a job doesn't mean you can't gain experience, you do have to be creative though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

wheretogo wrote: »
    Hello, I'm 22yrs old and currently doing a PLC in Dun Laoghaire. My parents have been giving me the hint that I'll need to move out soon if I don't go into college next year or get a part time job.

The issue is I've been applying for about 40 jobs now online and in real life handing in CV's in places like Blackrock,Dun Laoghaire and town. I haven't heard any response except for Argos and from the interviewers p.o.v, my lack of experience put her off and I didn't get called for a second interview.

What is your PLC course? What have you being doing since leaving school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Could you get someone to have a look at your cv? Only one interview for 40 applications is tough, but maybe a better cv would help. I wouldn't lie about experience, but maybe it could be structured better etc. What kind of experience do you have, and what kind of job are you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ok...what type of jobs are you looking for? Are they connected to your plc or are they jobs like barwork etc.

Dropping your cv into places, from what I’ve seen, doesn’t work. I’ll give you an example. In my local I have seen countless people come in, give their cv to whoever is behind the bar and leave. Not one of them has ever gotten work. I presume it’s similar to other places.

The last three people who got work there all did the same thing. They rang and asked when the manager was on. They came in and said they would like to work a shift for free to show what they can do. They got paid for the shift and are all full time. Now I’m not saying it’s foolproof but it worked.

Secondly, if I was in my early 20s again with no ties, I would get a TEFL qualification and travel the world teaching English. You don’t have to follow what your career guidance counsellor or parents etc think is the right path I.e. college, intern, job, career. Live life and don’t be down because Tesco turned you down.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

How do your parents expect you to move out if you don't get a part time job?

Should you focus on college-is there a course/career you're interested in?

How about registering with a recruitment company? They should be able to help you with CV and cover letter advice, interview advice, and they can sometimes help you get a foot in the door that much easier. What you lack in work experience you need to draw from your studies and any real life experience. Tell a story about how you've never been late to school, you enjoyed project work and working with others, self reliance and figuring things out is always something that's come naturally to you... etc. You get the idea. 40 applications sounds like there's not much effort tbh (even though that sounds odd), focus on quality not quantity. Where do YOU want to work? Narrow it down to a few places, research them, look over the job descriptions, and tailor your application/cv/cover letter to showing how you could accomplish the job. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Don't outright lie. But put a positive spin on things you have done.

Everyone has SOME experience.

Were there projects you did at school etc?

Did you work in a school shop?

Did you raise money for charity?

Did you help a family business?

Think about your skills? Where did you learn them? How did you acquire them ? THAT IS EXPERIENCE.

You have to learn to sell yourself at some point now is as good a time as any.

Advertisement