Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cap reform convergence

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

I am the opposite, I work off farm.

But why should the public purse support those who have a second income?

My understanding of the CAP is its a farm income support? Isn't this whole debate about fairness and redistributing of funds?

Impossible to please everyone, but should someone with a big block of land barely stocked be allowed to say " my farm income is low I deserve more supports? . Again should someone with good off farm income ( after many years study etc ) be penalized. Dont think off farm income will be taken into account ( too complex ) and we'll end up with a flat payment per acre, some form of front loading, and more linked to greening ( lower stocking rates - higher payment ??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Because they are adhering to the same set of ts&cs. The debate is about making the payment element fair for observing those terms.

But by that logic, we shouldn't be discussing an upper cap for BPS. They too are abiding by the rules, even if they are getting 100k+

Impossible to please everyone, but should someone with a big block of land barely stocked be allowed to say " my farm income is low I deserve more supports? . Again should someone with good off farm income ( after many years study etc ) be penalized. Dont think off farm income will be taken into account ( too complex ) and we'll end up with a flat payment per acre, some form of front loading, and more linked to greening ( lower stocking rates - higher payment ??)

Oh, I agree Miner...

I just question the point of the SFP. I think we have some so far from its original intent. But, people dont want to think about that, they just want some of the money for themselves. Which is fair enough too I suppose... ;)

But by that logic, we shouldn't be discussing an upper cap for BPS. They too are abiding by the rules, even if they are getting 100k+

Your problem there is passing that with European taxpayers. I don't think it should be above avg industrial wage here, which is lower than all orgs policies afaik.

Oh, I agree Miner...

I just question the point of the SFP. I think we have some so far from its original intent. But, people dont want to think about that, they just want some of the money for themselves. Which is fair enough too I suppose... ;)

Ideally we would be getting paid properly for our produce, with tariffs on food from outside europe ( to level costs of living, and rules imposed here)and no payments. This will never happen of course but it would be more honest and open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

CAP was a food production subsidy, to secure a guaranteed cheap supply of food for the people of Europe. It was never a social welfare payment.

It was required to break from direct production alignment due to new trade deals being done worldwide, but the focus remained as a food subsidy.

Your problem there is passing that with European taxpayers. I don't think it should be above avg industrial wage here, which is lower than all orgs policies afaik.

Yeah, I would agree with that Herd... It would be a good link I think... But it still goes against the 'everyone meeting the same T&Cs'

My opinion is the BPS should be restructured to support full time farmers more. Maybe we do this by putting something similar to how the dole works (yes, the dole, the BPS was already referred to as dole earlier in the thread)

Your tax returns show you earn under X, you get a BPS of say 250/ha
    Your tax returns show you earn over X, you get a BPS of say 100/ha

You still get paid to keep the land in a good condition to meet all the T&Cs - but you get a lower payment...

Anyways, I must get some lunch now... ;)

alps wrote: »
    CAP was a food production subsidy, to secure a guaranteed cheap supply of food for the people of Europe. It was never a social welfare payment.

It was required to break from direct production alignment due to new trade deals being done worldwide, but the focus remained as a food subsidy.

But that it what it has become...

Yeah, I would agree with that Herd... It would be a good link I think... But it still goes against the 'everyone meeting the same T&Cs'

My opinion is the BPS should be restructured to support full time farmers more. Maybe we do this by putting something similar to how the dole works (yes, the dole, the BPS was already referred to as dole earlier in the thread)

You still get paid to keep the land in a good condition to meet all the T&Cs - but you get a lower payment...

The ts&cs are within CAP, outside work is available to most anyone wishing to pursue it so no real disadvantage there.

The taxpayers also have "wants" which is where CAP payments come in, I would suggest not many farmers here are willing to do that work AND pay for it themselves.

The ts&cs are within CAP, outside work is available to most anyone wishing to pursue it so no real disadvantage there.

The taxpayers also have "wants" which is where CAP payments come in, I would suggest not many farmers here are willing to do that work AND pay for it themselves.

I don’t get your last paragraph Herd...

Do you mean lads wouldn’t stay farming if they weren’t getting higher BPS payment?
    But sure isn’t that what convergence is doing for some lads? So they will have to access what to do in the post convergence world...
    In my ‘made-e-up-e’ proposal, similar would have to happen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A neighbour that often gives me a lecture about my farming practises re the environment has a flail in cutting hedges today... go figure.
    When the EU get to giving us our tasks to get our last 25% environment payment, I'd say Calender farming will be in the halpenny place compared to their demands

Do you mean lads wouldn’t stay farming if they weren’t getting higher BPS payment?
    But sure isn’t that what convergence is doing for some lads? So they will have to access what to do in the post convergence world...

No, that the CAP budget is there to pay for the ts&cs. Farming, like CAP is voluntary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Or
    It could go 100% to the part time lads to keep them producing since it’s a method of cheap food supply, the full time lads are always saying they are the viable farmers, so the payment should go elsewhere.

Truth is it should be going to biodiversity measures with measured outcomes. Everyone gets to partake or they can stay out if they don’t like the idea.

_Brian wrote: »
    Or
    It could go 100% to the part time lads to keep them producing since it’s a method of cheap food supply, the full time lads are always saying they are the viable farmers, so the payment should go elsewhere.

Truth is it should be going to biodiversity measures with measured outcomes. Everyone gets to partake or they can stay out if they don’t like the idea.

Yeah, that's another argument, as valid as my own :)

I disagree with it Brian, as I think if a lad wanted to go full time farming, and put it all on the line, he should be supported.
    As for the cheap food supply, I don't think that's a good thing. But if they really wanted a cheap food supply, they need not pay it to the part-time lads. As chances are, half of them will keep producing anyways, regardless of SFP...

But, I do agree with your sentence in bold above - I think biodiversity is the key.
    It would probably go more towards the lesser intensive lads, who maybe are in more need of it?
    It might take more food (beef/lamb) out of the system, which might improve markets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »
    Or

It appears those who support the current CAP model appear to be unaware of the fact that for the last 30 years it has been moving away from subsidising beef mountains and milk lakes which really only benefit the Larry G's of this world at the expense of everyone else(including the vast majority of farmers and the environment). This process is likely to excelerate over the coming years so the appraoch of the likes of the IFA is really head in sand stuff that will do nothing for the majority farmers or their public image for that matter.

My income was always probably 60% subsidy and 40% from the enterprise, I doubt I'd stay at it but for the SFP.
    No point in being a fool either.

Just edited to sy that enterprises go better if they're not under pressure.
    When I was in financial difficulty in the 1980s, a lot went wrong because of pushing the system iykwim

Would the ifa not be better served to act in interests of the majority of farmers,whom would be smaller?

Hard to see a future for em in appearing on tv,whinging that small/lower earners might get more

Have they held a national vote on their stance,or has the leadership decided to shaft smaller farmers

Would the ifa not be better served to act in interests of the majority of farmers,whom would be smaller?

Hard to see a future for em in appearing on tv,whinging that small/lower earners might get more

Have they held a national vote on their stance,or has the leadership decided to shaft smaller farmers

It's well explained in this weeks IFJ and I've said it here often enough.
    There's representatives from every county elected on to commitees and they decide policy.
    The IFA have decided to ignore last weeks protest by Deane and Mc Carthy for the very same reason which is explained on IFJ .

It's rule 56 and 86 of the constitution

https://www.ifa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/IFA-Rules-Constitution-2019.pdf

The amusing thing is that small farmers way outnumber big farmers and could have directed policy away from big farmers in IFA if they bothered.
    IFA have about €10m in funds, when thats gone, IFA will be gone so it's unlikely to be there for the next CAP reform

wrangler wrote: »
    It's well explained in this weeks IFJ and I've said it here often enough.
    There's representatives from every county elected on to commitees and they decide policy.
    The IFA have decided to ignore last weeks protest by Deane and Mc Carthy for the very same reason which is explained on IFJ .

It's rule 56 and 86 of the constitution

https://www.ifa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/IFA-Rules-Constitution-2019.pdf

The amusing thing is that small farmers way outnumber big farmers and could have directed policy away from big farmers in IFA if they bothered.
    IFA have about €10m in funds, when thats gone, IFA will be gone so it's unlikely to be there for the next CAP reform

so have they,or have they not,held a vote on their stance on this issue??

Going on the news,complaining small/lower income farmers would get more money is an astonishingly poor attempt at PR and reminds me of the bankers on the news,complaining they didnt get bonus's after the banks went backrupt and were bailed out in 08/09........completly and utterly out of touch with reality,if this is future and what is leadership standred within the IFA,maybe its time they fold up the tent

so have they,or have they not,held a vote on their stance on this issue??

Going on the news,complaining small/lower income farmers would get more money is an astonishingly poor attempt at PR and reminds me of the bankers on the news,complaining they didnt get bonus's after the banks went backrupt and were bailed out in 08/09........completly and utterly out of touch with reality,if this is future and what is leadership standred within the IFA,maybe its time they fold up the tent

They're unlikely to fold up with the number of members they have until they go broke, It'll be run according to the rules of the constitution and nothing will change that. It's not a hockey club, lazy farmers leaving the work to others has led to this scenario. The same attitude that destroys every club in the country is what's after happening here. I said exactly this in 2013 . Elected farmers go to Dublin, make decisions at meetings. If farmers are stupid enough to elect people that don't represent them what can you expect. I can assure you I never wanted to do it but there was no one else,
    As you can see I won't accept abuse for doing what others were too lazy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

They're unlikely to fold up with the number of members they have until they go broke, It'll be run according to the rules of the constitution and nothing will change that. It's not a hockey club, lazy farmers leaving the work to others has led to this scenario. The same attitude that destroys every club in the country is what's after happening here. I said exactly this in 2013 . Elected farmers go to Dublin, make decisions at meetings. If farmers are stupid enough to elect people that don't represent them what can you expect. I can assure you I never wanted to do it but there was no one else,
    As you can see I won't accept abuse for doing what others were too lazy to do.

I am a part timer and very average farmer in methods acreage sfp and the rest. I am shop steward for my union in my workplace so would be pro strength in numbers.
    I was a member of ifa for 20 odd years and was pretty active defending often the indefensible putting hours of my employers time researching laws and solutions for most of it.
    In my area I only know of 3 farmers under 60 (none ifa members) that are not part time.
    I became less active after been verbally attacked at a meeting by a group of 70+ year olds because I was part time and my name was put forward without my concent for a position that I did not want.
    I drifted away a little disappointed after discovering the pay and conditions some low ranking employees were receiving and then the election of a president that thought he was the rose of tralee with more concern about what party he would join after his term than any farming issue finished me.

I had hoped Tim would turn it around and I would rejoin. But not it looks like the paid officials have the control and his hands are tied.

I had sales rep offering me deals that would give me a modest return on paying membership last week he never once mentioned any farm benefits or tried to sell any of the good work the organisation does/did. This probably pushed me further away.

I don't understand why there is no apatite within the organisation to survive move with times attract new members become great again.
    The present crop seems to be happy for it to grow old and die with them.
    I am not going to stop them doing this but I often think if I gave them a hand to speed it up could I be helping the average farmer.

They're unlikely to fold up with the number of members they have until they go broke,

Does any have a recent figure for membership?

I do know around here any farmer that is a member was encouraged to include another family member. In 2018 locally there was about 56 members but that was representing about 30 farms.
    I guess that is down to about 30 now with less than 15 farms represented. Death would have been as hard on membership as defectors.

epfff wrote: »
    I am a part timer and very average farmer in methods acreage sfp and the rest. I am shop steward for my union in my workplace so would be pro strength in numbers.
    I was a member of ifa for 20 odd years and was pretty active defending often the indefensible putting hours of my employers time researching laws and solutions for most of it.
    In my area I only know of 3 farmers under 60 (none ifa members) that are not part time.
    I became less active after been verbally attacked at a meeting by a group of 70+ year olds because I was part time and my name was put forward without my concent for a position that I did not want.
    I drifted away a little disappointed after discovering the pay and conditions some low ranking employees were receiving and then the election of a president that thought he was the rose of tralee with more concern about what party he would join after his term than any farming issue finished me.

I had hoped Tim would turn it around and I would rejoin. But not it looks like the paid officials have the control and his hands are tied.

I had sales rep offering me deals that would give me a modest return on paying membership last week he never once mentioned any farm benefits or tried to sell any of the good work the organisation does/did. This probably pushed me further away.

I don't understand why there is no apatite within the organisation to survive move with times attract new members become great again.
    The present crop seems to be happy for it to grow old and die with them.
    I am not going to stop them doing this but I often think if I gave them a hand to speed it up could I be helping the average farmer.

The president is just a figure head, The commitees decides the policy not the paid employees . It's a bit sad thet I have to tell you that again and again
    Referring to farmers at meetings, you needn't tell me what they're like. Why do you think I walked away
    I think the carry on of Beef Plan should tell you how difficult farmers are,
    There is no other way only by the book, if farmers aren't happy with that then so be it. Let them go to Beef plan and see how they get on.
    I always said that if it dies we'll go back to our farms, I certainly wouldn't be bothered selling membershp, if farmers don't want to help them selves, I certainly won't push them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So after all the huffing and puffing, propaganda by vested interest media that the sky would fall in we ended up with
    85% convergence
    10% for front loading
    100k max payment( subject to 50 salary of employees added) can be tiered to 60k
    25%for greening averaged over the CAP

Just for the record
    Next CAP

100k reduced to 60k or even 40-50k no salary allowance
    100% convergence
    Greening 40%

Just do the changes are not unexpected

Slava Ukrainii

So after all the huffing and puffing, propaganda by vested interest media that the sky would fall in we ended up with
    85% convergence
    10% for front loading
    100k max payment( subject to 50 salary of employees added) can be tiered to 60k
    25%for greening averaged over the CAP

Just for the record
    Next CAP

100k reduced to 60k or even 40-50k no salary allowance
    100% convergence
    Greening 40%

Just do the changes are not unexpected

So is possible to calculate what the 85% convergence and 10% front loading would mean in terms of payment/ha?

Or do we still not have enough detail to work that out?

Does any have a recent figure for membership?

I do know around here any farmer that is a member was encouraged to include another family member. In 2018 locally there was about 56 members but that was representing about 30 farms.
    I guess that is down to about 30 now with less than 15 farms represented. Death would have been as hard on membership as defectors.

71000 members last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

The president is just a figure head, The commitees decides the policy not the paid employees . It's a bit sad thet I have to tell you that again and again
    Referring to farmers at meetings, you needn't tell me what they're like. Why do you think I walked away
    I think the carry on of Beef Plan should tell you how difficult farmers are,
    There is no other way only by the book, if farmers aren't happy with that then so be it. Let them go to Beef plan and see how they get on.
    I always said that if it dies we'll go back to our farms, I certainly wouldn't be bothered selling membershp, if farmers don't want to help them selves, I certainly won't push them.

It’s.not just the IFA that’s struggling to get new members or keep their numbers up, I see back our way all parishes had a couple of cummains, mostly Finna fail and Fine Gael, these two are only barely surviving, no new members joining and older people dieing off

One thing for sure farmers need some one to represent them

morphy87 wrote: »
    It’s.not just the IFA that’s struggling to get new members or keep their numbers up, I see back our way all parishes had a couple of cummains, mostly Finna fail and Fine Gael, these two are only barely surviving, no new members joining and older people dieing off

One thing for sure farmers need some one to represent them

Too mean to pay for it though or work for other farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

Too mean to pay for it though or work for other farmers.

So how could you rejuvenate it and get people back, I see with the beam scheme, I know it was awkward to calculate and had it’s problems but the IFA still got 100 million I think for farmers

• Advertisement

morphy87 wrote: »
    So how could you rejuvenate it and get people back, I see with the beam scheme, I know it was awkward to calculate and had it’s problems but the IFA still got 100 million I think for farmers

They must have 200m got in the last eighteen mths.
    Same with the EIF LEVY, it's to pay for the office in Brussels which would've been instrumental in getting all that money
    Yet you hear the whinge and a night out would cost you more than most farmers pay ..... even in membership
    sad lot
    a friend who's a silage contractor tells me he has 20000 outstanding since 2020.
    Mean, mean

a friend who's a silage contractor tells me he has 20000 outstanding since 2020.
    Mean, mean

It's probably 2-3 IFA members who owe him that

Slava Ukrainii

71000 members last year

Was in town meeting a few lads. One lad has Forrestry he is an IFA member. His only reason really is the deduction he gets on his insurance. IFA membership is mostly now lads w
    Staying for phone and insurance discounts or family membership. At a guess I say there true membership is only a fraction of the 71k. It may be really in the 15-30k bracket.

Really funny one as well his daughter was getting car insurance and was told if she was a Macra member she get 125 euro off so she joined Macra for 40 euro and saved 80 on her insurance.

It's no wonder FBD us such a basket it basically funding Macra and the IFA

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Well it definitely isn't 2 or 3 members of the inhfa members, far more decent lads.

I wouldn't consider 20k outstanding for 1 year to a contractor that much. My baling man is impossible to pay. I couldn't get him to take my 5k bill until last April.

Allegedly our local chair has 50k with one meal company and is no longer dealing with them he just doesn't pay for silage he gets in February/March locally and would tell you 'sher they had nothing to eat it and twas no good anyway'

The young lad driving harvester had to sit at gate and wait for cash before he was allowed start picking up silage last year from previous chair.
    Wives are top of church people making big gestures when they have an audience.

I don't think there is a solution at the moment all elements of society are under pressure and annoyed with everyone as a result. I (part time farmer good job) had 2 points last night with builder friend(through the books few employees) Across from us were 3 lads drawing money from state(2 social welfare 1 getting 100k sfp) One works 6 days with farmers 100cash having to hide other works with blocklayer 80cash having to hide other is getting 10x the payment and allowed to work out in open on his own farm or anywhere else with no fear of payment been stopped. That's not a fair society but who is wrong. I think everyone thought the other was cheating system.

I am now starting to wonder why is the sfp any more than dole? EU no longer wants production. If they want environmental payments should be only for that.

If they want environmental payments should be only for that.

Whatever about the infighting within farming about distribution of payments I wouldn't go reducing or hemming in the budget voluntarily.

On inspection there's a lot more you may be done for under the rules than the environment.

If the taxpayers want x,y, or z then stump up.

Or, you get the situation like designations, where laws are passed, you're told you're a great lad but all the same **** you we're not paying for the impositions placed on your land and business.

• Advertisement

Was in town meeting a few lads. One lad has Forrestry he is an IFA member. His only reason really is the deduction he gets on his insurance. IFA membership is mostly now lads w
    Staying for phone and insurance discounts or family membership. At a guess I say there true membership is only a fraction of the 71k. It may be really in the 15-30k bracket.

Really funny one as well his daughter was getting car insurance and was told if she was a Macra member she get 125 euro off so she joined Macra for 40 euro and saved 80 on her insurance.

It's no wonder FBD us such a basket it basically funding Macra and the IFA

Isn't it the same with any of the farm organisations, FBD would've had a large input into our junkets as well, it was the go to place for sponsorship always. same with Farmers journal. I think a percentage of their profits have to go to farmers

I think IFA approach of looking for more and more subs as margins fell was shortsighted and easy / quick fix back the years. Very easy to cut payments now or even let inflation eat into them.

I think IFA approach of looking for more and more subs as margins fell was shortsighted and easy / quick fix back the years. Very easy to cut payments now or even let inflation eat into them.

You've seen what you'll get from the factories, take what you can get from subs, Factories wont change.
    We should be happy enough to take the subs and cut production, but thaat won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JohnChadwick

So is the 85% convergence definitely gonna happen here now, or will it get flummoxed somehow?

Be good for me if it does as entitlements will go from 160/ha to 226/ha, apparently!

So is the 85% convergence definitely gonna happen here now, or will it get flummoxed somehow?

Be good for me if it does as entitlements will go from 160/ha to 226/ha, apparently!

There's a bit more horse trading to do yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JohnChadwick

There's a bit more horse trading to do yet.

Yes can imagine. Surely looking good for 85 now tho.

Yes can imagine. Surely looking good for 85 now tho.

Yes, but out of a pot comprising how much money will depend on what happens with other cogs, funding for CRISS for example, and the Eco Scheme figures. As well as whatever surprises are in store at home from our Minister for flexibility :rolleyes:

Don't do your figures yet.

IT should be 85% by 2028, but 85% of what, the average payment won't be the same as it is now. If there's front loading, that'll be skimmed off the top of everyones payment.
    IT looks like there's another year in the pesent system so I'll get another year outa my entitlements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Well it definitely isn't 2 or 3 members of the inhfa members, far more decent lads.

Lol

Non payers are dirty f....rs, the lowest of the low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Bog Trotter99

But why should the public purse support those who have a second income?

Why should the public support any farming activity?

Why can't the farmers be allowed to sell their produce to who they want without being undercut by cheap imports just so the public can have cheap food and then complain about paying tax for subsidies?

If the public want the countryside kept well and the environment protected.
    Why cant they pay the full cost of doing that instead of forcing farmers to do it all on the cheap and then complain about having to subsidise farmers with basically pennies?

I wouldn't consider 20k outstanding for 1 year to a contractor that much. My baling man is impossible to pay. I couldn't get him to take my 5k bill until last April.

Allegedly our local chair has 50k with one meal company and is no longer dealing with them he just doesn't pay for silage he gets in February/March locally and would tell you 'sher they had nothing to eat it and twas no good anyway'

The young lad driving harvester had to sit at gate and wait for cash before he was allowed start picking up silage last year from previous chair.
    Wives are top of church people making big gestures when they have an audience.

I don't think there is a solution at the moment all elements of society are under pressure and annoyed with everyone as a result. I (part time farmer good job) had 2 points last night with builder friend(through the books few employees) Across from us were 3 lads drawing money from state(2 social welfare 1 getting 100k sfp) One works 6 days with farmers 100cash having to hide other works with blocklayer 80cash having to hide other is getting 10x the payment and allowed to work out in open on his own farm or anywhere else with no fear of payment been stopped. That's not a fair society but who is wrong. I think everyone thought the other was cheating system.

I am now starting to wonder why is the sfp any more than dole? EU no longer wants production. If they want environmental payments should be only for that.

That 20k was just last year, he has more in older debts.
    Everyone under pressure is a poor excuse, does the contractor now have to take the hit for poor farming practise.
    This contractor is young with a young family, It's a sad farmer that wouldn't pay him

Everyone under pressure is a poor excuse, does the contractor now have to take the hit for poor farming practise.
    This contractor is young with a young family, It's a sad farmer that wouldn't pay him

Reality is the tab has to be picked up by paying customers

Bad debts are a part of any business. However contractors are often the architect's of there own downfall. Most have no billing system in place and trying to get a bill off them.as many know can be a nightmare.

This then lead to them being unaware of a bad payer until he owes substantial amounts to them. Recently I heard of a motorfactor's complaining that he had a couple 100 k outstanding. Again it was bad debt management. He had a habit of allowing excessive credit 6 months+ in cases before stopping supplying. This in a business where garages and mechanics are paid on the day by 90% of customers.

Another case I heard of an organic fruit and veg supplier to a restaurant who had an outstanding bill of 10k+. Restaurant owner called this day and the F&V man pointed out he needed some payment. Restaurant owner proceeded to make out a cheque for 500 euro, he took more than that of produce....and the cheque bounced

Bad debt provision and it management is part of any industry if you have a bad debt issue it usually your own fault as you are not managing the issue

Slava Ukrainii

Bad debts are a part of any business. However contractors are often the architect's of there own downfall. Most have no billing system in place and trying to get a bill off them.as many know can be a nightmare.

This then lead to them being unaware of a bad payer until he owes substantial amounts to them. Recently I heard of a motorfactor's complaining that he had a couple 100 k outstanding. Again it was bad debt management. He had a habit of allowing excessive credit 6 months+ in cases before stopping supplying. This in a business where garages and mechanics are paid on the day by 90% of customers.

Another case I heard of an organic fruit and veg supplier to a restaurant who had an outstanding bill of 10k+. Restaurant owner called this day and the F&V man pointed out he needed some payment. Restaurant owner proceeded to make out a cheque for 500 euro, he took more than that of produce....and the cheque bounced

Bad debt provision and it management is part of any industry if you have a bad debt issue it usually your own fault as you are not managing the issue

My first thought earlier today was he should sell the debt to some less than nice people to collect. But, as you say, that thought was quickly followed by he probably has no bill or record or contract or much of anything in the line of a paper trail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement