Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scheduled to be away on date of court summons

Options
  • 23-01-2020 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

What options do I have if I am going to be away on the court date specified in a summons? The date is about three months hence but I'm booked to be away the date it is on. I don't want to just not turn up, but I can't really cancel my trip, either. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's a relatively minor offence and you don't want to contest it, I think you can write to the court clerk, explain that you will be unavoidably away and want to plead guilty. If it's a serious offence and/or you want to contest it, get a solicitor to appear for you to ask for an adjournment and make sure that the prosecuting Garda is notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Are you a witness, or the defendant?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

coylemj wrote: »
    If it's a relatively minor offence and you don't want to contest it, I think you can write to the court clerk, explain that you will be unavoidably away and want to plead guilty.
    Be careful in doing this, as you might not be able to plead mitigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Are you a witness, or the defendant?

Defendant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

go to the court in question when it is sitting next. Find out who the busy legal aid solicitors operating in the court are. Ask one of the regular solicitors there for advice. They will be used to handling the judge and the local guards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement