Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation to Train is Gone. Any Tips?

Options
  • 23-01-2020 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I've been cycling for ten years or so. I'd have been fairly consistent with the mileage. 5-6000km a year. Nothing Crazy. I used to race a bit, club racing, and do a fair few sportifs.

However in the last 6 months or so the motivation to get out on the bike has kind of died on me. And I'd be lucky to do 150-200km a month. And I'd be forcing myself. I do running/hiking and swimming as well. But cycling had always been my passion. But now these other sports get done as they are so much less time consuming.

I'd love to rediscover the passion and love I had for it a few years ago. Has anyone else had the same experience? Is it just a matter of taking it as it comes and the passion will come back? Would a break help? Or is there any tips on how to get back into it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I prescribe a serious does of n+1 and some goals

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I've been cycling for ten years or so. I'd have been fairly consistent with the mileage. 5-6000km a year. Nothing Crazy. I used to race a bit, club racing, and do a fair few sportifs.

However in the last 6 months or so the motivation to get out on the bike has kind of died on me. And I'd be lucky to do 150-200km a month. And I'd be forcing myself. I do running/hiking and swimming as well. But cycling had always been my passion. But now these other sports get done as they are so much less time consuming.

I'd love to rediscover the passion and love I had for it a few years ago. Has anyone else had the same experience? Is it just a matter of taking it as it comes and the passion will come back? Would a break help? Or is there any tips on how to get back into it?

Maybe if you're solely based on the road look at mixing or tryin some CX, bike packing, gravel or MTB?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what JR said. a change is as good as a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Yeah cheers for feedback. Maybe will try the trails. And getting out with the club more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Gravel.

But I find it hard to be motivated to head out solo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You need to get a little grupetto going. Nothing better to get you out than knowing you've a couple of mates will be standing expectantly at a junction in the cold waiting for you. I've been getting out every Saturday morning with the same couple of lads for years now. If it was just me I'd hit that snooze alarm button every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Come to the dark side

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mr T.

fat bloke wrote: »
    You need to get a little grupetto going. Nothing better to get you out than knowing you've a couple of mates will be standing expectantly at a junction in the cold waiting for you. I've been getting out every Saturday morning with the same couple of lads for years now. If it was just me I'd hit that snooze alarm button every time.

spot on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just to clarify - is it your motivation specifically to *train*?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Turn those 5-6000kms into vertical metres on a mtb and problem solved ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I had a slump about 2 years ago after spending ages psyched up for a cycling holiday. Came back and didn't have any desire to get out, it took months to find my groove again. A goal to work towards will definitely help but first just cycle somewhere for the enjoyment of being out on the bike.
    Get up early some nice mild morning and head off rambling up the hills, go off up some roads you've not been on before, lost with your own thoughts, no training or targets. Soak up the scenery. Soul cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

To “train” you need a performance goal to train for as motivation. Otherwise perhaps just ride your bike for fun and forget about “training”.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Personally feel when you train all year round , it’s very important to mix it up , particularly in winter .
    I’ve been doing a lot of trails on a gravel bike with a light . It’s a whole other world . It’s only parks and the like but a decent light upfront and it’s easily done . It’s very refreshing,

My worry would be with the running etc which should be good for the head and a break that you’re still feeling unmotivated.
    Definitely pick a goal if it’s a big sportive ,-away home or a race etc and plan it .

It’s also worth noting it’s no harm changing sports for a year . Triathletes always seem motivated
    All cycling as much as we love it can be a chore .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Maybe try some different disciplines, meet different groups of people/cyclists. Each discipline has a different scene.

I really struggle with motivation to go road cycling, I find it incredibly boring.
    Going out with a group is pretty much the only way I can do it now, but I love track and have recently gotten into mtb.
    Track is shorter, harder, extremely varied, more intense and sociable. It's motivating off thre bike too, because of all the gym work (if you get into it).
    I find mtb really engrossing, cos I'm really shyte at it and mainly trying not to fall off too much, but it's really sociable and varied too.

BMX is on my list to try this year, I just need to make a padded suit...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was brought to a coffee shop between Greystones and Bray, which has off road tracks, the ability to rent Fat bikes, what appears to be a mini BMX park (admittedly for kids). Place is called Arthurs, might be a good place to try out a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

i don't have the time to cycle 5000-6000km a year, don't know how anybody would with a job too.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Was brought to a coffee shop between Greystones and Bray, which has off road tracks, the ability to rent Fat bikes, what appears to be a mini BMX park (admittedly for kids). Place is called Arthurs, might be a good place to try out a few things.

I went fatbiking in that place, Belmont Demense. It's class. They have e-fatbikes and the y do excellent pizza. I thoroughly recommend. Fatbikes are fun, heavy but fun. When you go really fast on them it's like you're completely out of control. It's like flying on balloons!

And it's a pump track, I don't know if it's fatbike-able, although I have 0 expertise to make that judgement.

who_ru wrote: »
    i don't have the time to cycle 5000-6000km a year, don't know how anybody would with a job too.

If you commute by bike, train and race your bike it's not that hard to do. Commuting alone brings me up to 180k a week and that's before I do any proper cycling.

6k per year is about 40 minutes per day if you average 25km/h.
    or roughly an hour a day, if you limit it to five days a week.
    around the same length of time you'd probably have to commit to playing a round of golf a week, or what someone would commit to training and playing football, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I do that on commuting alone, if I didn''t have a job, I probably wouldn't.
    eeeee wrote: »
    And it's a pump track, I don't know if it's fatbike-able, although I have 0 expertise to make that judgement.
    I would bring my BMX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

When you want to you'll find the way. I'm doing standard 40p/w plus whatever and have been clocking 16-19,000 for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Stop training, and get out for a few spins around some nice routes? Off-road might help, but doing something different on the road can be good too - stop for coffee if you don't usually, stick in an earphone with some music, take the train somewhere and cycle back/loop along a scenic route.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Back to basics; out on the bike with no bigger goal than to arrive at a nice coffee shop for a treat.

Ride for fun. Not as a chore.

Don't even put on cyclling gear, just wrap up warm and pootle off for an hour.

i have a general rule of thumb when out on the bike, that when possible, i must cycle on at least one road i've not been on before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A weekly weekend 100km spin would have you over the 5000km. 4 or so hours if on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

i have a general rule of thumb when out on the bike, that when possible, i must cycle on at least one road i've not been on before.

Practically impossible unless you only go out once or twice a month. The only way I could do that is to go further and further every bike ride (which isn’t practical) as I have ridden every single road around me over the years already and most of them countless times.

No i suppose I don't need to 'train'. I have no real race goals. I might do a half ironman this year and some adventure races. But to complete rather than be at the pointy end.
    just to clarify - is it your motivation specifically to *train*?

i've actually joined a new club.
    I had one at home when I was doing a lot of mileage.

So I think that may be the cure. We did 80k on Sunday and it went by quick enough.

If I can consistently get out with them once a week and then trainer/outside for an hour 2 times a week that might help.

Ohh and I put in a big order on Chainreaction! Not a bike but bike bits.
    fat bloke wrote: »

As was said before. Only 120km a week. 5hrs or so. With a normal club spin you'd get in 70-90. So not too much to make the 120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sounds more like you won't make time!

I generally average 20,000kms per year and I have a full time (very stressful) job and I regularly do overtime.

Advertisement