Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600 insurance

Options
  • 23-01-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Anyone have experience with insuring a 600 as a newer rider? I'm thinking I'd like to get a moped or a 125 for a year or so, then move up to a 600 (yeah I know it's not the safe way but I'm not asking that, I'm American and this is how we do it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

How old are you? I don't see anything wrong with going for a 125 first, that's the sensible way. Probably a little too sensible if you are over 24 and old enough for a category A learner permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GMessam405

zubair wrote: »
    How old are you? I don't see anything wrong with going for a 125 first, that's the sensible way. Probably a little too sensible if you are over 24 and old enough for a category A learner permit.

I'm 19. The problem is, being from America, our perception of 125s is as... Toys. Not quite a "real bike". And I'm not a "sensible" person. If I was still in America, I'd just go buy a hayabusa from the off. But that ain't possible, thanks to the laws here being... Restrictive, to put it politely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

I'd say ring the insurance companies and get the facts first hand. Then you'll know for sure what options you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

GMessam405 wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with insuring a 600 as a newer rider? I'm thinking I'd like to get a moped or a 125 for a year or so, then move up to a 600 (yeah I know it's not the safe way but I'm not asking that, I'm American and this is how we do it)

I had a 125 (Honda CLR125) for all of four months before I went to a 600 (Bandit). 20 years old on the 125cc and 21 on the 600cc.

Insurance was only a tiny bit more from what I remember with Liberty for the change and it was no hassle at all.

Just my two cents.. 125cc to 600cc is a way bigger jump than when I went from 600cc to the 1100cc Blackbird or 1000cv GSXR. Any half modern 600cc is a completely different animal to a 125cc.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

I'm 19. The problem is, being from America, our perception of 125s is as... Toys. Not quite a "real bike". And I'm not a "sensible" person. If I was still in America, I'd just go buy a hayabusa from the off. But that ain't possible, thanks to the laws here being... Restrictive, to put it politely.

Ah man.. I can tell by your attitude this is not for you! Laws here are fantastic for motorbikes and anybody here over the age of 25 will tell you that. These laws kept us alive and keeps teenagers off superbikes when they can't even control their own pecker yet.

And if you think 125s aren't a "real bike" remind yourself that one of the greatest motorcycle racers of all time and TT legend died racing one when he was dominating the TT in 600cc and 1000cc bikes.

Have a long hard think before you become a statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This lads a spoofer. Buying a camper in another thread looking for insurance quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If I was still in America, I'd just go buy a hayabusa from the off. But that ain't possible, thanks to the laws here being... Restrictive, to put it politely.

Yeah, maybe that's part of the reason road death rates in the US are twice that of here...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

listermint wrote: »
    This lads a spoofer. Buying a camper in another thread looking for insurance quotes.

A year ago was asking about mounting a surfboard on a bike :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Ah man.. I can tell by your attitude this is not for you! Laws here are fantastic for motorbikes and anybody here over the age of 25 will tell you that. These laws kept us alive and keeps teenagers off superbikes when they can't even control their own pecker yet.

And if you think 125s aren't a "real bike" remind yourself that one of the greatest motorcycle racers of all time and TT legend died racing one when he was dominating the TT in 600cc and 1000cc bikes.

Have a long hard think before you become a statistic.

I am aware that 125s arent just toys, but it's hard to not think that way when I'm from where a 250 is the most sensible starter bike, and 400s are also knòw to bee good for starting. Thing is, I've never been one to let what's dangerous hold me back, even by American standards, so I want a 600. Ofc im not stupid, that's why I want to start on something smaller just to get the general feel of a bike, then move up. And yes, he may have died, but I'm not hoping to be a helmet less squid, and I'm definitely not riding at the speed that he was, even if I wanted to, I wouldt have the skill. Back home you have a few people who start on literbikes, and get on fine. So I figure, adjusting for the fact that drivers here dont care, the roads suck, and it's always wet, a 600cc may be the way forward. As long as I'm not an idiot 🀷ðŸ¾*♂️

A year ago was asking about mounting a surfboard on a bike :rolleyes:

More common than you think. In fact, if it wasnt so windy here, everyone who surfed would likely do it

• Advertisement

Yeah, maybe that's part of the reason road death rates in the US are twice that of here...

There are barely any bikes in America

How tf would I know that it's so expensive, the insurance companies are like a cartel here. Yall been getting ripped off by them. 3 grand per year for 1.0 car that's just slightly too big to be considered a go cart? That's stupid. Not being allowed to modify your car in any way below 25? What kinda retards are running this ****? I just want a camper to cruise, what am I gonna do with it, pull a Tokyo drift through the streets of Dublin? **** sake, America has its multiple of problems, but it's so much better for petrol heads

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    I had a 125 (Honda CLR125) for all of four months before I went to a 600 (Bandit). 20 years old on the 125cc and 21 on the 600cc.

Insurance was only a tiny bit more from what I remember with Liberty for the change and it was no hassle at all.

Just my two cents.. 125cc to 600cc is a way bigger jump than when I went from 600cc to the 1100cc Blackbird or 1000cv GSXR. Any half modern 600cc is a completely different animal to a 125cc.

Enjoy!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

See.

Spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I should know better, and if OP did his homework he'd know too, but here goes anyway....if you're 19 you don't have to start on a 125. You can buy any number of great A2 bikes that would be just as cheap as any 125, and some are reasonable to insure.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

As Galway pointed out, you can start on an A2 bike when you're over 18, that would be the way to go in my opinion.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

LOL

8,663,737 motorcycles registered in the USA in 2017.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191002/number-of-registered-motorcycles-in-the-us-by-state/

It's the largest motorcycle market in the world.

More common than you think. In fact, if it wasnt so windy here, everyone who surfed would likely do it

:pac: looks ideal for the beginner... where do you put your wetsuit? You do realise the water is cold here even in summer, right? A breezy ride home after the chilly waters will have you in hypothermic territory!

galwaytt wrote: »
    I should know better, and if OP did his homework he'd know too, but here goes anyway....if you're 19 you don't have to start on a 125. You can buy any number of great A2 bikes that would be just as cheap as any 125, and some are reasonable to insure.

Thanks, was just wondering if it was crazy expensive to run an A2 bike

:pac: looks ideal for the beginner... where do you put your wetsuit? You do realise the water is cold here even in summer, right? A breezy ride home after the chilly waters will have you in hypothermic territory!

Of course I realise that, I've been surfing for two years up in the north. That's what saddle bags are for arent they 😋

• Advertisement

LOL

8,663,737 motorcycles registered in the USA in 2017.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191002/number-of-registered-motorcycles-in-the-us-by-state/

It's the largest motorcycle market in the world.

Bikes are considered "man toys" in America. They (most of the time) arent used as transportation, but as a hobby. For that reason those that own bikes tend to own at least 3. Normies dont ride bikes, in fact, theres generally a bad perception of bikers in America. So fine, maybe there are alot of bikes, but there arent very many bikers.

See.

Spoofer.

I'm a spoofed and your an internet tough guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Bikes are considered "man toys" in America. They (most of the time) arent used as transportation, but as a hobby. For that reason those that own bikes tend to own at least 3. Normies dont ride bikes, in fact, theres generally a bad perception of bikers in America. So fine, maybe there are alot of bikes, but there arent very many bikers.

Yeah. At least 3. Maybe more. Go on outa that. 😂

Of course I realise that, I've been surfing for two years up in the north. That's what saddle bags are for arent they 😋

Insurance is probably cheaper on an A2. You should just call some insurance companies with a few bikes in mind and get some quotes. 125-1000, the running costs won't be vastly different, when you consider everything.

Advertisement