Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Bridge

• 24-01-2020 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to install a CCTV system in a shed and am looking into the possibility of a wifi bridge to connect the shed to the house.

How secure are these setups? I only need to get the signal 50ft from house to shed and some of these devices have a range of 1km which is far more than I require.

There is currently cabling in place between shed and house as shown the the attached images. I've no idea as to what this cable is - it was used for an analog CCTV system many years ago (10 - 15 years ago) and I'm not sure if it will be able to support a network based CCTV system.

Can anyone tell what type of cabling this is and whether it would be suitable?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'm trying to install a CCTV system in a shed and am looking into the possibility of a wifi bridge to connect the shed to the house.

How secure are these setups? I only need to get the signal 50ft from house to shed and some of these devices have a range of 1km which is far more than I require.

There is currently cabling in place between shed and house as shown the the attached images. I've no idea as to what this cable is - it was used for an analog CCTV system many years ago (10 - 15 years ago) and I'm not sure if it will be able to support a network based CCTV system.

Can anyone tell what type of cabling this is and whether it would be suitable?

Thanks.

Looks like 2 different types of cable, is it written on the side of cables?

Network cable usually has 4 twisted pairs orange/white, green/white blue/white and brown/white.

One of those cables looks like network but which cable is that grey wire from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If the existing cable turns out to be unsuitable for the job, can you run Cat5e/Cat6 network cable along with it?
    That would be my preference. I would use outdoor & shielded cable given the location.

Also my preference would be for IP cameras which could attach to the ethernet cable (through a switch if multiple cameras) and all could be managed/viewed from the house.

There are lots of cheap 1080 IP cameras available these days ..... from about €25 each ..... most with night vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The grey cabling is what was used for telephones and routes from the larger dark cable out to 3 mounting points for the old cameras. The connectors at the old analogue cameras is an RJ11 (possibly a BT 431A). This old system had audio and vision.

The larger input cable has no exterior markings on it (might have weathered off). It would need to be trimmed back to see what is there. I think it is armoured telephony cable but I don't know if they are twisted pairs - something like: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAEXGPO5.html

emaherx wrote: »
    One of those cables looks like network but which cable is that grey wire from?

I think it is the fifth pair of the armoured telephony cable entering at top right of the junction box. From link:
    Pair 1 - WHITE/Blue
    BLUE/White
    Pair 2 - WHITE/Orange - ORANGE/White
    Pair 3 - WHITE/Green --- GREEN/White
    Pair 4 - WHITE/Brown --- BROWN/White
    Pair 5 - WHITE/Grey
    GREY/White

I think it is the fifth pair of the armoured telephony cable entering at top right of the junction box. From link:
    Pair 1 - WHITE/Blue
    BLUE/White
    Pair 2 - WHITE/Orange - ORANGE/White
    Pair 3 - WHITE/Green --- GREEN/White
    Pair 4 - WHITE/Brown --- BROWN/White
    Pair 5 - WHITE/Grey
    GREY/White

Well in that case I'd throw a few rj45 sockets on and give it a go. What have you to lose by trying? Get proper punch down tool and 2 sockets, sockets are normally colour coded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not twisted pair cable - even if it work as its short distance, your network might/will suffer from cross-talk.
    If avail, pull new CAT line. If not avail, pull new CAT line anyway.

I've got the gear to set up plugs and check the wires are connected properly - done that is of time, but the concern is is ability to transfer data reliably at the speeds necessary for this system to work.

I'll have a look online, but my initial check just turned up what I can already do. Twisted pairs are necessary for network cabling and tighter twisted give better performance. So a connection is not just sufficient. It needs to have good interference and cross talk protection for acceptable networking performance. I just don't know how to check that part yet.

Not twisted pair cable - even if it work as its short distance, your network might/will suffer from cross-talk.
    If avail, pull new CAT line. If not avail, pull new CAT line anyway.

Something tells me the cable was only partially trunked. I think the majority of it was buried so pulling another cable is not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Something tells me the cable was only partially trunked. I think the majority of it was buried so pulling another cable is not going to happen.
    To me, WiFi solution is last resource for backbone, but its your call.

To me, WiFi solution is last resource for backbone, but its your call.

"Between my finger and my thumb
    The squat pen rests; snug as a gun."

The spade will get an outing.
    I can get half way in existing conduit. The rest I'll probably dig and trunk.

• Advertisement

Did you purchase a CCTV system yet?
    Why not use existing cabling for video feed and a networked DVR in house (I assume this was the orginal setup anyway).

See Link

Advertisement