Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emirates 380's having to take re-fueling stops flying to West Coast US

Options
  • 24-01-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭

They must be right at the edge of their fuel flying to the west coast as the relatively short diversion away from Iranian airspace has meant several refueling stops recently, obviously adverse jet stream is probably the defining factor as not all flights have had this issue.

This one DXB - CPH and CPH - LAX

IVbTOK6.png

ocedEEs.png

VfObRlq.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I could be totally imagining this but I feel like I’ve heard somewhere that thats a scheduled stop to offload cargo...

Again, I could be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Kevski wrote: »
    I could be totally imagining this but I feel like I’ve heard somewhere that thats a scheduled stop to offload cargo...

Again, I could be totally wrong.

No EK215 is a direct flight, note it is 2 hours late that day into LAX

H3Twucn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34,700 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd think Helsinki would make more sense, much closer to the great circle route.

Couldn't they refuel in Toronto or somewhere, no point having the aircraft take off on full tanks twice.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You'd think Helsinki would make more sense, much closer to the great circle route.

Couldn't they refuel in Toronto or somewhere, no point having the aircraft take off on full tanks twice.

Toronto has been used, as has Helsinki.
    Several Emirates flights to the USA, has been stopping at Copenhagen Kastrup, Stockholm Arlanda and Toronto Pearson Int.

On 13/1, EK211 from DXB to IAH has made a tech at YYZ
    On 14&15/1, EK221 to DFW, operated by the B777-300(ER), made a tech stop at ARN

The divertion away from Iranian airspace can't add more than a few of hundred km's onto the journey, you just have to skirt Iran over Iraq instead of going direct, but its relatively minor when flying the West Coast US great circle route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Would a 772ER not have the range ?

trellheim wrote: »
    Would a 772ER not have the range ?

The A380-800 has a longer range (15,000 km) than the 772ER or 773ER (14,320 km or 13,650 km respectively)

Seems it is a fairly big diversion to avoid Iran, see this article.

This

ek-215-2.png

V

This

ek215-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why would take off with full tanks from Dubai if only heading to Copenhagen?

Also, I'd imagine the price of fuel also plays a part here, what's aviation fuel pricing like in Denmark?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why would take off with full tanks from Dubai if only heading to Copenhagen?

Also, I'd imagine the price of fuel also plays a part here, what's aviation fuel pricing like in Denmark?

Full tanks in Dubai is no doubt way cheaper than either Copenhagen or Toronto, so best to take off full regardless of where you need to top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Inquitus wrote: »
    The A380-800 has a longer range (15,000 km) than the 772ER or 773ER (14,320 km or 13,650 km respectively)

Perhaps the 777-200LR, of which EK still have a few, was meant.

Slots, ATC, Airport and ground handling charges will all play a part. Canada has the highest aviation taxes in the world IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Sorry - yes thanks it was the LR I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

Full tanks in Dubai is no doubt way cheaper than either Copenhagen or Toronto, so best to take off full regardless of where you need to top up.

Thats not how it works.
    If you took full tanks out of Dubai, you'd have to jettison most of it to land in Copenhagen.

Thats not how it works.
    If you took full tanks out of Dubai, you'd have to jettison most of it to land in Copenhagen.

Good point, having to refuel must be costing them a fortune, given Dubai has some of the cheapest fuel on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

Good point, having to refuel must be costing them a fortune, given Dubai has some of the cheapest fuel on the planet.

Have you any evidence to support your assertion?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

HTCOne wrote: »
    Perhaps the 777-200LR, of which EK still have a few.

The 200LR's do not have all the extra tanks that were available on that model, they have less range then the 380.
    Also the 200LR's only have a two class config..

Advertisement