Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smile... you're on LFR (or Clearview)

Options
  • 24-01-2020 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭

i). LONDON(Reuters) --> British police are to start 'operational use' of live facial recognition (LFR) cameras in London, despite warnings over privacy from rights groups and concerns expressed by the government’s own surveillance watchdog.

ii). 'Clearview' has already amassed 2bn faces (from various sites inc. Fb/Tw etc). Twitter has already sent a cease-and-desist letter (Tuesday), saying its policies had been violated, and requested the deletion of any collected data.
    The Clearview app includes programming, that could pair the images with augmented-reality glasses that would allow users to 'identify the names and addresses of anyone they saw on the street' -->
    The EC is considering a 5yr ban of FRSystems in public spaces. However this likely wouldn't extend to any private or commercial entities such pubs, transport groups, or retail (maybe including spaces outside shops).

Guess on one hand, pre-crime detection will be helped (like in the movies). But (accidently) dropping litter, or bumping into someone will result in notification and penalty the following day.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

If it keeps the country safer i couldn't give two fcuks about privacy laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If it keeps the country safer..
    Surely that has more to do with actual 'sentencing'. Lads with many dozens of charges are in court, then straight out again the same day.

A prime example in Ldn (where LFR is rolling out, and knife crime is up 7% this year) is the chap yesterday given only minor charges for a (repeat) nasty machete attack, does not compute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It'll help advertisers, marketing companies and the like.
    As pointed out finding the criminals is very often not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm always torn on the balance between privacy and trying to reduce and solve crime.

If something like this is to go ahead, which matches images taken from street cameras and images taken from social media and the like, what is done with those images is incredibly important.

And this element of it, if true...:
    The Clearview app includes programming, that could pair the images with augmented-reality glasses that would allow users to 'identify the names and addresses of anyone they saw on the street' -->

is incredibly scary and a horrendous misuse of data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

The EU are looking to temporarily ban facial recognition in public places for a defined period 'three to five years “during which a sound methodology for assessing the impacts of this technology and possible risk management measures could be identified and developed”. That would seem like an eminently sensible idea to me.

What's to stop the British authorities, especially when they've left the EU, from selling that data onto private companies?

London is already the most surveillance-heavy city in the West with nearly 70 CCTV cameras per 1,000 people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Everyone will be wearing scarves/ sunglasses/ hats to avoid this shïte before long

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Put it on trial in say the parts of London where knife crime is at it's worst. Come back to me in a year and show me how may drug dealers and criminals have been caught using the system over say the course of a year in comparison to the previous year. Why is it I get the felling that the stats won't be that impressive.

Everyone will be wearing scarves/ sunglasses/ hats to avoid this shïte before long
    Sunglasses and hats of no use.

There are likely several other remedies to FRSystems, from the most complex expensive (custom latex) coverings, and more mid-range soloutions such as (i-red) lights emitting down from baseball caps.

Down to the very most low-fi (adam-ant/pvc tape) make-up techniques, and even more simplistic (that don't even require any head covering) i.e. t-shirts with 'algorithm overload' patterns to confuse the AI bots into DNS.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Put it on trial in say the parts of London where knife crime is at it's worst. Come back to me in a year and show me how may drug dealers and criminals have been caught using the system over say the course of a year in comparison to the previous year. Why is it I get the felling that the stats won't be that impressive.
    There is already new technology in emmergence, that works much better (than FR) for the line gangs of Landan town.

It uses passive electric and magnetic fields, radio waves and even 5G microwave to create a 'virtual 3D map zone' (like an self driving car).
    Then further uses AI to detect (via field distortion), if someone is carrying a 'metal {shape-matching} impliment' that they shouldn't be, all without causing any privacy breaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

If it keeps the country safer i couldn't give two fcuks about privacy laws

There is that argument that innocent people have nothing to hide.
    Then there's the counter argument of why do toilet cubicles have doors on the them, why do we have curtains etc.

And I'm all for a safer society/country.
    I'm certainly all for electronically tagging serious criminals for long periods of time.

The real argument against this sort of surveillance is if/when it is misused.
    If people in power can access it to spy on political enemies, whistleblowers, news reporters etc.
    That there needs to be the equivalent of a court hearing to access the records with "probable cause" , although they have that sham FISA court in America rubber stamping all those requests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Clearview hacked:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51658111
    Clearview AI, a start-up with a database of more than three billion photographs from Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, has been hacked.

The attack allowed hackers to gain access to its client list but it said its servers had not been breached.

Most of its clients are US law enforcement agencies who use its facial-recognition software to identify suspects.

Its use of images scraped from the internet has raised privacy concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Not just the UK or USA. Coming to the EU too.

"According to leaked internal European Union documents, the EU could soon be creating a network of national police facial recognition databases. A report drawn up by the national police forces of 10 EU member states, led by Austria, calls for the introduction of EU legislation to introduce and interconnect such databases in every member state."

Advertisement