Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland

Hazardous conditions in places overnight and Tuesday morning due to compacted snow and ice. Further snow showers also, heaviest in the southwest, west and north.

Valid: 22:00 Monday 27/01/2020 to 12:00 Tuesday 28/01/2020

Issued: 21:00 Monday 27/01/2020

Yep. Whatever falls, however little , will cause black ice. Gritters were out on the N11 tonight. Doubt there will be much of anything in Dublin and surrounding counties, but any precipitation will cause havoc. Pics from Mayo earlier mid afternoon were grim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hopefully there is more snow showers to come over night, i am a bit like Gollum- i can never get enough of the precious white gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Following diverted flights ,buses arrived at Knock airport tonight. Most snow up there ive seen in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A lot of precipitation yet miraculously it seems to keep missing me here all day! Had about an hour of light spits of sleety snow around 7pm but nothing else all day

Looks to be a generous blob of precip arriving imminently though so lets see what that brings

A bit more like it, bucketing down for the past hour :cool:

https://streamable.com/qsrkz

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

Kamili wrote: »
    Can someone build me a snowman and share a pic here?
    Loving all the pictures keep them coming, enjoying the updates from the white gold starved east :)

I took this photo on my walk home from the pub this evening, and when I saw your post, I thought I'd share it! I didn't build it, one of our neighbours. Knock village, Co Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

One very jealous person here living in the east looking at all the pics

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thought I saw a flash earlier during the big shower of hail.

https://twitter.com/Michael77221049/status/1221932041979277315?s=20

oRDGAkq.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hopefully there is more snow showers to come over night, i am a bit like Gollum- i can never get enough of the precious white gold!

Enjoy. Clearly we only got a small slice of what is going on up there tonight, but I'm happy with what I got, which was more than I expected to get anyway.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The Mig wrote: »
    One very jealous person here living in the east looking at all the pics

Your day will come
    Bigger,stronger,faster, Longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Just had a wee ramble outside. Saw that lovely orange and snowy glow over the town of Castlebar to my west in the distance. A few more flakes on the way by the looks of things. Had a look at the local back road. Will be tricky in the morning.
    Edit. Gone slightly more sleety here in the last few minutes. Light enough stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Went out to check the car , frozen over , but now there's a very light dusting of graupel (?) falling , there's hope here yet :D

Portlaoise .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Snow shower now in Mountmellick. Nothing substantial as yet. But we usually get lucky as a result of lying at the end of the Slieve Blooms range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was hoping to go up there just like Dubliners do the Sally gap and have to be rescued ;)

Was hoping to go up there just like Dubliners do the Sally gap and have to be rescued ;)

You could be our roving reporter, would get a great video from the rescue helicopter bringing you back down in the morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

There seems to be a very large area of fairly high topped clouds to the north west of Donegal, moving in a South Easterly direction. Currently too far away to be picked up by radar but there are elements of circulations showing up so a chance of something more organised in some places overnight, particularly focusing on areas that have had little or nothing so far. Of course, places that have already had a good dumping might wake up to find a good top up overnight.

.......More likely I've jinxed everything by mentioning the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

19028fa1638a019f4b3ff9cdc2611038.jpg?v=202500

For more snow

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

19028fa1638a019f4b3ff9cdc2611038.jpg?v=202500

For more snow

:pac:

Have you considered running in the GE? You have my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

highdef wrote: »
    There seems to be a very large area of fairly high topped clouds to the north west of Donegal, moving in a South Easterly direction. Currently too far away to be picked up by radar but there are elements of circulations showing up so a chance of something more organised in some places overnight, particularly focusing on areas that have had little or nothing so far. Of course, places that have already had a good dumping might wake up to find a good top up overnight.

.......More likely I've jinxed everything by mentioning the above!

EURO4 has an organised band coming onshore around 3-4am with plenty more showers packing in behind it

euro4_uk1-1-10-0_dpo4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not sure my eyeballs will have enough energy at that time of the morning :(

A solid night to come in terms of sleet/snow for west Ulster, Connaught and a lot of Munster.

Enjoy. Disappointment again in the east (so far) but rough with the smooth blah blah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just started snowing now. It looks like it could be a prolonged shower. Time to go for a walk out in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Not sure my eyeballs will have enough energy at that time of the morning :(

A solid night to come in terms of sleet/snow for west Ulster, Connaught and a lot of Munster.

Enjoy. Disappointment again in the east (so far) but rough with the smooth blah blah...

Wow. How come it doesnt reach the East? "Mammy you lied you said it was going to snow. I told you it was going to snow where granny and grandad live; the West" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Frozen hail/snow mix stuck to cars, walls and roofs in Galway city. Interestingly conditions vary over short distances. With a 10 minute walk in the West of the city I went from an area with no snow/hail on anything to an area with a nice layer stuck to cars roofs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

EURO4 has an organised band coming onshore around 3-4am with plenty more showers packing in behind it

euro4_uk1-1-10-0_dpo4.png

And it looks like it will make more inland also.
    Maybe a reason met eireann issued there yellow warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'll probably be banned for saying this but I think the next band from the Northwest will bring slightly less cold air after it and there will be a major thaw tomorrow from about 11am

Till then though...

Just started snowing now. It looks like it could be a prolonged shower. Time to go for a walk out in it!

JitteryClutteredAppaloosa-small.gif

New Moon

Kutebride wrote: »
    Wow. How come it doesnt reach the East? "Mammy you lied you said it was going to snow. I told you it was going to snow where granny and grandad live; the West" :)

I'm in the west and they aren't even reaching here! Upper and lower wind speeds, as well as poor troughing, are not really strong enough to drive those showers that far inland, but maybe as Donegal Storm showed, perhaps an approaching trough might add more pep to the flow overnight.

New Moon

Satellite showing 'cloud temp' for the last 3 hours. Colour blobs are where the heaviest showers would be located. Some sort of showery trough out in the near Atlantic it would seem, but not particularly strong looking. Still, more showers to come for some overnight at least, particularly for NW & North.

hNkgwLy.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3 richiekdj1

Whatever showers are passing Cork airport currently look like sleet on the Netweather radar but are actually light snow. Sticking now on vehicles and grass. Also freezing now so the roads may be tricky in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

That band of precipitation heading in off west Donegal now could give big accumulations.

Advertisement