Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick County General Election

• 24-01-2020 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

Niall Collins (Fianna Fail)
    Patrick O Donovan (Fine Gael)
    Tom Neville (Fine Gael)
    Michael Collins (Fianna Fail)
    Richard O Donoghue (Ind)
    Claire Keating (Green Party)
    Séighin O Ceallaigh (Sinn Fein)
    John Dalton (Renua)
    Conor O Donoghue (Aontu)

Bookies seem to think the people of County Limerick are happy out and will return the 3 sitting TDs. Will Fianna Fails second candidate Michael Collins or Independent Richard O Donoghue spring a surprise?
    This constituency gave Peter Casey one of the highest votes in the Country in Presidential election so its clear that crime is a big issue in the county and towns like Abbeyfeale, Kilmallock, NCW , Askeaton etc reflect the general deterioration in law and order.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Hard to call. But I think Niall Collins pushes all my Buttons ;)

Seriously though, I would consider Richard O'Donoghue. I knew him well over 20 years ago (through work) and I feel he is somebody who might actually attempt to sort out a problem for you....rather than just placate you with promises, etc. He may well have changed over the years, but that's just how I remember him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'd expect the 3 sitting TDs to be returned with reasonable comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I'd expect the 3 sitting TDs to be returned with reasonable comfort.

2 TDS for Fine Gael the Dublin Party

• Registered Users Posts: 23 people_sheeple

Big concentration of the 'bigger' candidates around the Newcastlewest - Croagh area and not alot at the eastern side of the constituency
    I hear a lot of good things about Richard O Donoghue also, so I expect him to go well.

Saying all that I still expect The existing 2 FG, 1 FF to be returned

• Registered Users Posts: 23 people_sheeple

A few more ramblings on this:

Claire Keating is sticking to the party line re their preference for the M24 over the M20. I cant imagine thats going to give her a net gain of many votes.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/511437/n24-upgrade-the-right-solution-for-link-to-cork-says-county-limerick-green-candidate.html

I must say that her team have done some job on the postering ...shes everywhere !

I see that Richard O Donoghue has Cllr Teefy and Cllr PJ Carey from the Kilmallock area and Cllr Frankie Daly no less, endorsing him on his posters. Seems like a wise move. As I said earlier most of the candidates are West Limerick based so they'll need to capture support in the eastern side to get elected.

Patrick O Donovan seems to have upset the Greens by showing up to LCC green initiative
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/512591/fg-minister-accused-of-hijacking-limerick-city-council-green-leaf-event.html
    He could never be accused of being camera shy anyway !

Hes not exactly my cup of tea.. but Ivan Yates is predicting that O Donovan is going to lose his seat with Michael Collins taking it from him. Interesting .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

A few more ramblings on this:

Claire Keating is sticking to the party line re their preference for the M24 over the M20. I cant imagine thats going to give her a net gain of many votes.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/511437/n24-upgrade-the-right-solution-for-link-to-cork-says-county-limerick-green-candidate.html

I must say that her team have done some job on the postering ...shes everywhere !

I see that Richard O Donoghue has Cllr Teefy and Cllr PJ Carey from the Kilmallock area and Cllr Frankie Daly no less, endorsing him on his posters. Seems like a wise move. As I said earlier most of the candidates are West Limerick based so they'll need to capture support in the eastern side to get elected.

Patrick O Donovan seems to have upset the Greens by showing up to LCC green initiative
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/512591/fg-minister-accused-of-hijacking-limerick-city-council-green-leaf-event.html
    He could never be accused of being camera shy anyway !

Hes not exactly my cup of tea.. but Ivan Yates is predicting that O Donovan is going to lose his seat with Michael Collins taking it from him. Interesting .
    I think Michael Collins will certainly eat in to O'Donovan's vote but I don't think he'll unseat him. Collins is very much a Newcastle West Councillor and wouldn't be known much outside of that town. He was also added late to the Fianna Fail ticket and is running a poster-less campaign, so he's at a disadvantage.

O'Donovan has done little for Newcastle West and West Limerick in his 9 years as a TD (save for announcing Sports grants :rolleyes: ) and it hasn't gone unnoticed. He should be embarrassed about the state of his hometown, which is dying a death. He'll probably survive this time round but he'll be in trouble in four years time if Collins has a good election and establishes himself more in the meantime. That said, if there's a protest vote against Fine Gael and the people of Newcastle West and surrounds back Collins, Ivan Yates could very well be right. It wouldn't shock me because he simply hasn't done enough to justify re-election. Take one walk around Newcastle West and you would never guess that the town has a sitting TD and Minister of State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Fine Gael closed all the countys garda stations bar NCW and Bruff. Home Burglaries and Business/Farm break ins have had a massive impact on a lot of people.
    There is a chronic cocaine issue in towns and villages all over the county due to lack of garda stations and not enough drug squad members. This is impacting a huge amount of families. Fine Gael have no interest in County Limericks crime problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It looks like the people of county limerick are one of the few constituencies that will vote back in 2 Fine Gael TDs .could be the only one outside of Dublin .
    Crime rampant , rural depopulation and no new jobs all over County Limerick and the people still vote FG , Turkeys voting for Christmas .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm going to vote for Richard O'Donoghue anyhow - I've heard a lot of recommendations of the past while.

Its really disappointing to hear that the 3 sitting TDs are simply going to be voted back in.

Obviously none of these shrewd voters have passed through University Hospital Limerick in the past decade or so.

How Niall Collins gets votes from anyone outside of his own family perplexes me beyond belief.

- Also for the record I've never heard of a single positive thing that any one the 3 of them have done for anyone other than themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

Mango Joe wrote:
    How Niall Collins gets votes from anyone outside of his own family perplexes me beyond belief.

Niall Collins was a great help to me when all other councillors and TDs ignored my emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Donutz wrote: »
    Niall Collins was a great help to me when all other councillors and TDs ignored my emails.

are you ok with him voting on behalf of Timmy Dooley in his absence at the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

damowill wrote:
    are you ok with him voting on behalf of Timmy Dooley in his absence at the Dail?

Not particularly but a lot of TDs in the Dail have done worse in my opinion and the fact that he pushed somebody else's button doesn't diminish his ability to represent me.

Like I said, when I had a problem, the 2 FG TDs didn't bother answering my emails but Niall Collins did all he could to help me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

n collins was canvassing local to me last week, a local woman asked him was he sure he was not timmy dooley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Collins won't be getting any vote for me , only thing he's done in or around Fedamore was appear in a picture making out that the villiage had become like the wild west (not cause of the tumbleweeds mind) , he'd maintained that was people on horses running through the villiage morning noon and night

The actual story being a few horses had broke out of a field a few nights in a row and obviously some eejit called him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Donutz wrote: »
    Not particularly but a lot of TDs in the Dail have done worse in my opinion and the fact that he pushed somebody else's button doesn't diminish his ability to represent me.

Like I said, when I had a problem, the 2 FG TDs didn't bother answering my emails but Niall Collins did all he could to help me out.

Sure Fred West often helped people with their gardening.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Sure Fred West often helped people with their gardening.....

Room outside...

Advertisement