Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly q re ladder.

• 24-01-2020 8:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ladder in Lidl at moment. Silly q, but can you actually stand on and put your whole weight on the 4th “step” (attached) Or should you only stand on the first 3 steps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

I used similar ladders while cutting bushes, painting etc. around the house. I pressed my knees out against the sides while standing on the platform. I always ensured the ladder was on stable, even surface.
    If you are concerned then don’t try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Hi

Ladder in Lidl at moment. Silly q, but can you actually stand on and put your whole weight on the 4th “step” (attached) Or should you only stand on the first 3 steps?

The idea of a platform ladder is that you should only stand on the top step or platform which would be the 4th step in this case.
    Personally I don't like cheap platform ladders and would prefer not to stand on any of the steps if there was an alternative as I think they are an accident waiting to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

The idea of a platform ladder is that you should only stand on the top step or platform which would be the 4th step in this case.
    Personally I don't like cheap platform ladders and would prefer not to stand on any of the steps if there was an alternative as I think they are an accident waiting to happen.

Ah ok. I thought the 4th step was the weakest one but sounds like it’s the strongest one and the actual one to stand on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

These ladders are "an accident waiting to happen", even though they have been around for many decades?

Surely if they were, they'd be removed from the market?

Ah ok. I thought the 4th step was the weakest one but sounds like it’s the strongest one and the actual one to stand on!

In the case of a normal step ladder it is not advisable to stand on top step. This isn't due to weakness but due to increased risk of falling. With platform ladders the platform is more of a stable base so you should stand on the platform.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    These ladders are "an accident waiting to happen", even though they have been around for many decades?

Surely if they were, they'd be removed from the market?

Notice I said cheap platform ladders. Have you ever used cheap platform ladders?

A good quality platform ladder is probably the safest ladder you can use. The cheap one definitely aren't. I'm not sure about the quality of the ladder quoted in the OP so I sorry if I am lumping it in with cheap low quality ladders if it is actually a good ladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say simple physics will tell you that if you are an adult standing upright on the platform at the top, any movements sideways or wobbling, will increase the likelihood of your making yourself and the ladder unstable, as the centre of gravity is high.

If you are standing on the 1st step, it will be very stable of course as the main weight is close to the ground.

Advice would be, if you think you are a bit wobbly or likely to wobble whilst standing on the platform, then don't stand on it, and limit yourself to the 3rd step max.

I have used similar ladders many times and often stood on the platform without any issues.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say simple physics will tell you that if you are an adult standing upright on the platform at the top, any movements sideways or wobbling, will increase the likelihood of your making yourself and the ladder unstable, as the centre of gravity is high.

If you are standing on the 1st step, it will be very stable of course as the main weight is close to the ground.

Advice would be, if you think you are a bit wobbly or likely to wobble whilst standing on the platform, then don't stand on it, and limit yourself to the 3rd step max.

I have used similar ladders many times and often stood on the platform without any issues.

In the case of a good quality platform ladder both you and the ladder will be more stable when standing on the platform. This is because your weight is more evenly distributed between the back and front legs of the ladder. It will not be wobbly unless the ground is very uneven in which case you probably shouldn't be using the ladder in that spot. Standing on the 3rd step would make it even more unstable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

These ladders are more of a kind of indoor ladder, designed to stand on an even floor to reach the ceiling, the top of the press or that light fitting.

You stand on whichever step or platform you need to stand on to reach the desired height.

You do not stand on top of the frame though :D

Outside work on uneven ground needs a different type of ladder

Advertisement