Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First flight: 777X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Let's try that again:

https://youtu.be/z4t7L6p2Rug

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

And here:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Is this aircraft billed to be the successor to the 747?

Comhra wrote: »

Yes it is, the 9X can carry 400 pax, has only 2 engines so should use a lot less fuel also...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's just a 737 Max like response to the A350 which was earlier to market and generally more efficient for long haul.

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's just a 737 Max like response to the A350 which was earlier to market and generally more efficient for long haul.

I thought the the A350 was itself a response to the launch of the Boeing 787?

The plane has already gained over 300 orders so someone must like it.

Fritzbox wrote: »
    I thought the the A350 was itself a response to the launch of the Boeing 787? The plane has already gained over 300 orders so someone must like it.

The A350-1000 would have the 777X-9 as its Boeing counterpart.

The 787-9, perhaps even the -8 would compare with the A350-800 and the 787-10 with the A350-900

Tenzor07 wrote: »

The 787-9, perhaps even the -8 would compare with the A350-800 and the 787-10 with the A350-900

Indeed. I presume the 777X compares very well to the Airbus in economics and fuel burn etc?

Don't know why the criticism of the 777X just because its based on a 25-year-old design.

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Don't know why the criticism of the 777X just because its based on a 25-year-old design.

As far as I know It's a derivative, rather than needing a whole new type cert..otherwise would probably be another number of years before the 777X took flight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Different wing, different engine, different fuselage cross section, different cabin alt...

But the number at the door is the same so its ok

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I actually sat for almost 3 hours on friday waiting for take off. A slow evening!

YouTuber, Sam Chui's 777X Video

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Comhra wrote: »

I think that the B777 took over from the 747 about 20 years ago, these days it's quite rare to see 747's operating in most airports. Same as the A340's, the twin engine aircraft have taken over the market.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I think that the B777 took over from the 747 about 20 years ago, these days it's quite rare to see 747's operating in most airports. Same as the A340's, the twin engine aircraft have taken over the market.

I don't think there is a single airline in the USA and Canada offering scheduled passenger services with the 747 anymore?

Lufthansa aren't in any rush to retire their 747 fleet just yet:

https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-boeing-747-retirement/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

Tenzor07 wrote: »

The A350-800 was cancelled a couple of years ago.

Given that the 777x was developed in the same way as the 737 max (rushed) and with the catastrophic structural failure already in testing I don't really have any intention to ever fly on one.

The first flight delay from last march after the the second max crash which Boeing cited problems with the GE9X engines seems more like there was a similar mcas system that they were redesigning in the background or something just as stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

there was a similar mcas system that they were redesigning in the background or something just as stupid.
    Are you stating a fact or guessing?

Furasta wrote: »

Opps was going by this:

main-qimg-4c0fd9d1f4b94f476390ff969fed3899-c.jpeg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a big old yoke.

I think Boeing has a big job to do in regaining airline and consumer confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

This is NOT the 737MAX thread. I have just deleted a number of increasingly unhelpful messages that were not 777X related, and any more about the Max in this thread will earn infractions or stronger sanction

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Furasta wrote: »

Given that the 777x was developed in the same way as the 737 max (rushed) and with the catastrophic structural failure already in testing I don't really have any intention to ever fly on one.

The first flight delay from last march after the the second max crash which Boeing cited problems with the GE9X engines seems more like there was a similar mcas system that they were redesigning in the background or something just as stupid.

I wouldn't be too worried by that. Every time Airbus or Boeing do one of these tests they find something that the computer models did not predict. Several aircraft have failed the test prematurely over the years.

Some great potential routes for the X to fly from, seems to do well at airports in hot countries at higher elevations:

https://simpleflying.com/boeing-777x-routes/

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/citing-a-serious-flight-test-incident-and-lack-of-design-maturity-faa-slows-boeing-777x-certification/

Not good news for Boeing. I’m sure the last thing they want circulating out there are news articles (from a very well respected aviation journalist) reporting the following

“The FAA cited a long litany of concerns, including a serious flight control incident during a test flight on Dec. 8, 2020, when the plane experienced an “uncommanded pitch event” — meaning the nose of the aircraft pitched abruptly up or down without input from the pilots.

Boeing has yet to satisfy the FAA that it has fully understood and corrected what went wrong that day.“

Advertisement