Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three children found dead mod note in post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

I thought that too....

Why?. :confused::confused:

The man is unbelievably brave to go in the wake of is 3 kids being murdered.

Takes such strength to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

his community was all around him

just what's needed at a time like this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Be right back

his community was all around him

just what's needed at a time like this

Absolutely and maybe he's a practising Catholic like someone already suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The guy literally had his entire life destroyed. He is probably trying to find comfort and support wherever that could be found.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why is it odd ? People seek comfort where they are comfortable .

Exactly, how anybody can think it's odd is beyond me. This poor man's life has been destroyed and turned upside down in an instant. He is obviously suffering and is seeking support wherever he can find it.

Personally I find anybody questioning this odd. Unless they're being an edgy keyboard warrior, and in that case they are showing an extreme lack of empathy and their actions are despicable.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I thought that too....

Would either of you like to elaborate on precisely what is odd about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Cant stop crying thinking about those poor little angels. Snip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's something odd about your post.

That man has lost the most important part of his life, and his world is in shatters.

No doubt he's never going to be the same again, my sons 18 and I don't see much of him because he's hanging out with his friends more at weekends and I miss him staying at mine every second weekend.
    I live a bit away from him and I feel a void every second weekend now.
    And a touch of loneliness, ill adapt.

But this poor man must be in some state.

Nothing more heart felt than loosing a child or children.

That sheer loss and uncontrollable sobbing and crying, confusion and emotional turmoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I can only look at it from my own perspective. If I had suffered a tragedy of such immense proportions, I would not be able to face a crowd of people staring at me 14 hours later. I would be in lockdown with a very small and trusted group of family and friends.
    I am not intending to be disrespectful in any way, I am devastated at the loss of those beautiful, innocent children, it’s bewildering and incomprehensible that their short lives ended so tragically.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I can only look at it from my own perspective. If I had suffered a tragedy of such immense proportions, I would not be able to face a crowd of people staring at me 14 hours later. I would be in lockdown with a very small and trusted group of family and friends.
    I am not intending to be disrespectful in any way, I am devastated at the loss of those beautiful, innocent children, it’s bewildering and incomprehensible that their short lives ended so tragically.

You have no idea how you would react. It’s outside the bounds of human comprehension to even try and speculate how you would react. The man has lost his whole family and is in limbo land where nothing makes sense and he’s trying to find some comfort. Even if he is not religious I understand his intentions. Maybe he went to pray, maybe he has no idea what he’s doing; either way I don’t think we should judge the innocent actions of a man whose entire life blew up only four days ago.

There’s something very strange about someone who can read an article like that and have these as their first thoughts. “Well I wouldn’t have done that if it was me”.. it’s not about you or what you would or would not have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

That’s you. It might not be this poor man. Maybe being surrounded by people is how he finds comfort. Or maybe it’s being in a church.

Regardless you can’t judge him based how you think you’d react in the same situation. Not least because you have absolutely no idea how you would react. None of us do.

The poor man has just lost his three beautiful children in the most horrific way. He’s entitled to seek comfort as he sees fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Im sure you meant well by your post and have your own way of dealing with a loss.

We all say things which can be interpreted from variable angles.
    You meant no harm so ill take back my saying your post is odd.

There's one thing I've learnt in life and it's very valuable.

I can't do other people's thinking for them, I only have my own thoughts and responsibility.

No point in judging your post after you explained why you found it odd...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Having lost a child myself and seeing my brother lose one too the one thing I learned is that no two people act the same way. Everyone should be given the space to act the way they need to and not he judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I feel compassion for anyone suffering from mental health issues up to a certain point.

Taking innocent lives especially those of children cannot and should not ever be condoned nor excused as a result of someone being unwell.

When a man commits such an act he is rightfully hated and demonized. Why is it different when it’s a woman?

It's not

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-found-not-guilty-of-murder-of-girlfriend-by-reason-of-insanity-1.3146684

This is an awful tragedy to use to promote a gender issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - lads leave out the gender stuff. This is neither the time or place. See mod warning post 1.

joe40 wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/father-who-battered-his-son-to-death-found-guilty-but-insane-1.471685

another tradegy, but maybe we can all agree now that males & females are not treated differently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

bubblypop wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/father-who-battered-his-son-to-death-found-guilty-but-insane-1.471685

another tradegy, but maybe we can all agree now that males & females are not treated differently

It was the same with Hawe case, it became a political point scoring exercise on social media and for whatever reason it became unacceptable to propose metal illness of a factor, despite considerable evidence to contrary. To do so was seen to excuse a man of violence, to not do so was seen a discrimation against men. No one seemingly able to draw the conclusion that perhaps bad people can become mentally ill. An utterly futile exercise by idiots on both sides of the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kieran_M

Poor kids, hopefully they did not suffer. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The difference between this and the Hawe family is that the killer had waged an campaign of control and possessiveness over his family. He knew he was about to be exposed and decided his family couldn't live with the shame. So he butchered them. No gently falling asleep for any of the Hawes.

Until more information comes to light we have no reason to think this woman was severely mentally ill and possibly thought she was doing right by her kids. Until we know different we can assume she was a 'normal' mother who loved her kids. Maybe it will come out that she was every bit the psycho that Hawe was, in which case we can all recalibrate our opinions on her.

Mental illness is terrifying. Maybe she heard voices saying that this was the only way to protect her kids. Maybe she had vivid hallucinations.

The difference between this and the Hawe family is that the killer had waged an campaign of control and possessiveness over his family. He knew he was about to be exposed and decided his family couldn't live with the shame. So he butchered them. No gently falling asleep for any of the Hawes..
    To be fair there is no evidence that he was about "to be exposed." His school have denied there was any suspicions or investigations around him after the Prime Time documentary. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that these rumours were delusions that he created himself. People speaking in certainties around that case are either misinformed or deliberately being misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

To be fair there is no evidence that he was about "to be exposed." His school have denied there was any suspicions or investigations around him after the Prime Time documentary. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that these rumours were delusions that he created himself. People speaking in certainties around that case are either misinformed or deliberately being misleading.

But what her family says shouldn’t be dismissed readily either. They know a lot more than any casual observer.

But what her family says shouldn’t be dismissed readily either. They know a lot more than any casual observer.

No it should not be dismissed. But the findings of the inquest should take precedence I believe. As I said before, often the signs are very well hidden from even the closest of family. Otherwise we'd always intervene in time. My point is we can't say he wasn't mentally ill with any kind of certainty, and that's an unfortunate fact. One thing is for certain, it's an extremely complex case, so people speaking about it in definite terms are misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's probably been asked already but what's odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can't even imagine that man's grief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I wouldn't dismiss it either but I would also take it with a grain of salt. They have a fair enough motive for bad mouthing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

No it should not be dismissed. But the findings of the inquest should take precedence I believe..

It shouldn’t take precedence. Very often in Ireland inquests give an easy answer rather than a correct answer. They are not dependable.

Ultimately we can’t be sure what happened in the Hawe case as we likely still don’t have the info. With regard to the current case we know very little so far and again we may never get the full picture.

jackboy wrote: »
    It shouldn’t take precedence. Very often in Ireland inquests give an easy answer rather than a correct answer. They are not dependable.

Ultimately we can’t be sure what happened in the Hawe case as we likely still don’t have the info. With regard to the current case we know very little so far and again we may never get the full picture.
    I agree with all of your post except the first sentence. In this case, it's the best possible point of reference as the conclusion was reached by people who had access to material that none of us will every had access to. Is it undoubtedly not certain, but against all of the rumours and worth of mouth floating around it is he most reliable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I agree with all of your post except the first sentence. In this case, it's the best possible point of reference as the conclusion was reached by people who had access to material that none of us will every had access to. Is it undoubtedly not certain, but against all of the rumours and worth of mouth floating around it is he most reliable source.

Fair enough. I have just seen in the past inquests which gave a certain result for reasons other than an honest evaluation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement