Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miami Showband Massacre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I remember as a kid seeing the story break on John Craven's Newsround. Obviously sanitized for younger viewers but still shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

80% of this forum don't want to hear about this, or will find a way to blame Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

tdf7187 wrote: »
    80% of this forum don't want to hear about this, or will find a way to blame Sinn Fein.

I don't blame sf.

I didn't want it to be true.

Its painful for many.

But it is true. Sadly. And we need to unpack it.

But we need to unpack it in a way that is not hijacked by people with an agenda.

Also we and the victims deserve an apology from the UK govt and all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm glad this comes to light finally, even though many have suspected this all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

But we need to unpack it in a way that is not hijacked by people with an agenda.
    What does this even mean?
    Also we and the victims deserve an apology from the UK govt and all involved.
    I fail to see why you deserve an apology. Or do you mean the Irish nation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nice to have confirmation which hopefully provides some closure to the families and the surviving member.

Usually I abhore the actions of sinn fein / ira but seeing the soldier was killed by them in 77 and his body never found did put a little smirk on my face

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nice to have confirmation which hopefully provides some closure to the families and the surviving member.

Usually I abhore the actions of sinn fein / ira but seeing the soldier was killed by them in 77 and his body never found did put a little smirk on my face

There were actually posters on this site went toe to toe with me because I had said I had no sympathy for Nairiacs plight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

we all knew this was the case of course but it's still nice to have it confirmed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

First I've hear of Nairac. Nice to know he met a brutal end.

Put through a mincer in South Armagh. The poor little mite.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The first people to be thought of are those that survived and the families of those that didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

First I've hear of Nairac. Nice to know he met a brutal end.

Is surprising he managed to last as long as he did. He went into the three steps bar and put in a fake Belfast accent and started asking questions. Was abducted by locals within minutes and then faced a few questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Is surprising he managed to last as long as he did. He went into the three steps bar and put in a fake Belfast accent and started asking questions. Was abducted by locals within minutes and then faced a few questions

This wasn't a one off, he had done this countless times. He was even up singing rebel songs. The man is suspected of being in charge of many British led atrocities up the North. When confirmation like this is coming out and you look at incidents like Loughisland, Bloody Sunday etc etc you wonder were the IRA actually a necessity up there in order to protect Catholics.

Catholics originally welcomed the British army into Belfast, they cheered them down the streets with cups of tea and biscuits as they thought they were there to protect them from the suffering they had endured from the RUC. That opinion quickly changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Put through a mincer in South Armagh. The poor little mite.

Then fed to pigs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Britain is a terrorist state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Britain is a terrorist state.

Considering their activities over the centuries, from this to the Dublin-monaghan bombings, to the atrocities in Kenya and Aden, in Asia, The middle east and Africa, thats a bit of an understatement. An evil empire based primarily on violence and repression, sowing division wherever it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Odhinn wrote: »
    Considering their activities over the centuries, from this to the Dublin-monaghan bombings, to the atrocities in Kenya and Aden, in Asia, The middle east and Africa, thats a bit of an understatement. An evil empire based primarily on violence and repression, sowing division wherever it went.

Not to detract from the sentiment of your post, but that pretty much describes empires as a general rule of thumb. The British empire was not unique in that regard; a high-achiever (if you will) in the infliction-of-misery stakes, but not unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Lemming wrote: »
    Not to detract from the sentiment of your post, but that pretty much describes empires as a general rule of thumb. The British empire was not unique in that regard; a high-achiever (if you will) in the infliction-of-misery stakes, but not unique.

Alas you are correct on that. There is also the same tendency to romantacise elements of it, while burying others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Whelo79 wrote: »
    This wasn't a one off, he had done this countless times. He was even up singing rebel songs. The man is suspected of being in charge of many British led atrocities up the North. When confirmation like this is coming out and you look at incidents like Loughisland, Bloody Sunday etc etc you wonder were the IRA actually a necessity up there in order to protect Catholics.

Catholics originally welcomed the British army into Belfast, they cheered them down the streets with cups of tea and biscuits as they thought they were there to protect them from the suffering they had endured from the RUC. That opinion quickly changed.

Remember when RTE done a prime time special about him in 2017 more or less portraying him as an innocent victim and exonorating him of wrong doing?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/scientist-provides-evidence-exonerating-robert-nairac-of-troubles-killings-1.3069263

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

but seeing the soldier was killed by them in 77 and his body never found did put a little smirk on my face

Hopefully they played Showband songs really loud while torturing him to death. I think Quintin Tarantino should make a movie of it. Him being castrated to the stirring chorus of Do The Hucklebuck.

You know you wanna see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

smurgen wrote: »
    Remember when RTE done a prime time special about him in 2017 more or less portraying him as an innocent victim and exonorating him of wrong doing?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/scientist-provides-evidence-exonerating-robert-nairac-of-troubles-killings-1.3069263

I wonder how many British agents we have in places of influence in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

We should have a Garda investigation into it.

Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Given that two of the killers were already members of the British military, collusion already existed. I suspect the late Nairac is being tied to this killing as a way of tidying up loose ends. He will probably also be blamed, now that he is safely dead, for every single unsolved killing of a Catholic right up to the estimated date of his death, so as to close a few files and bury the past. Apart from that, anyone on this thread who wished him a cruel death and an even crueller fate thereafter needs to have a close look at themselves.

biko wrote: »
    What does this even mean?

I fail to see why you deserve an apology. Or do you mean the Irish nation?

Well i don't usually refer to myself as 'we'.

We need to unpack this.

Meaning we need to dissect this.

Analyze it.

Understand the details.

How far up the chain of UK authority did it go etc? Where govt cabinet members involved? If so they need to apologize too.

Not sure. Define places of influence.

They are there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it's impossible to deny that statement. but had some country not reached that level of hegemony, how retarded would mankind have been technologically ? i'm obviously not supportive of the unspeakable violence done by the british empire and the suffering that resulted but in terms of world history, if it wasnt them, it was probably gonna be someone else and there were dividends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭wmahcm

Provos loved to do the same and blow up women and kids out shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

it's impossible to deny that statement. but had some country not reached that level of hegemony, how retarded would mankind have been technologically ? i'm obviously not supportive of the unspeakable violence done by the british empire and the suffering that resulted but in terms of world history, if it wasnt them, it was probably gonna be someone else and there were dividends.

Life of Brian territory in that last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Life of Brian territory in that last sentence.

sure yes. had i lost my father in the troubles i wouldn't be able to view it with a cold objective eye, i get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Define places of influence.

Media, politics, civil service and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

wmahcm wrote: »
    Provos loved to do the same and blow up women and kids out shopping.

So start a thread about them.this is a thread about British terrorists.

Advertisement