Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miami Showband Massacre

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Once again this thread highlights how stuff like calls for a border poll or a United Ireland are notions that are way, way off yet.

Atrocities were committed by BOTH sides (something that some here seem to be trying to forget/rewrite) in a then never-ending series of tit for tat attacks on the other, often with innocents caught up in the damage.

Thankfully saner heads eventually prevailed and the process of peace began and has continued to hold (for the majority) since.

But reading some of the hate and ridiculous "west Brit" accusations thrown around in this thread and others like it, I hope that it's just Internet hardmen who probably weren't even alive for most of the Troubles rather than a genuine risk of dragging us all back to those days.

Until both sides can fully put the past behind them (which isn't the same as forgetting it, but rather learning from it), this country will never be ready to move forward on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Once again this thread highlights how stuff like calls for a border poll or a United Ireland are notions that are way, way off yet.

Atrocities were committed by BOTH sides (something that some here seem to be trying to forget/rewrite) in a then never-ending series of tit for tat attacks on the other, often with innocents caught up in the damage.

Thankfully saner heads eventually prevailed and the process of peace began and has continued to hold (for the majority) since.

But reading some of the hate and ridiculous "west Brit" accusations thrown around in this thread and others like it, I hope that it's just Internet hardmen who probably weren't even alive for most of the Troubles rather than a genuine risk of dragging us all back to those days.

Until both sides can fully put the past behind them (which isn't the same as forgetting it, but rather learning from it), this country will never be ready to move forward on this topic.

Miami Showband Massacre thread.
    Who did the Miami Showband attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

wmahcm wrote: »
    Provos loved to do the same and blow up women and kids out shopping.

You can't compare the morality and death toll of the IRA to that of the British empire. The British empire caused far more death and destruction throughout its time.

Aegir wrote: »
    From what i have read, there is no suggestion that he was involved in the actual attack, only that he had helped to plan it.

Planning a terrorist attack is pretty bad to Aegir. Particularly when it's a state force doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Is the same every time a member of the British army gets found out ... divert attention and derail the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Some ****ing ****e being posted in here. A non republican
    Band taken out and executed by a agent of the british government and all some have to say is oh both sides were at it?

What a joke. British ruling class have and always will be a bunch of nasty racist ***** that are a stain on the jocks of life.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Planning a terrorist attack is pretty bad to Aegir. Particularly when it's a state force doing it.

I didn’t say it wasn’t Eddy. I was trying to give a reason why there were conflicting accounts of his whereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Is well known that he was heavily involved in the activities of the glennane gang. He deserved his fate

Proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Dont think the provos done the diesel laundering - I'd say that's locals on the border. if you dont want smuggling, dont invent a border out of nowhere.

If you think the Provos weren't involved in diesel laundering / smuggling, then you are naive.The Gardai and PSNI and the respective Customs agencies all know who were and are involved and have constantly fought to stop the trade, including the dumping of toxic waste in the South, but, as ever, they need hard evidence that will stand up in court. Laundering diesel is also not confined to Republicans and neither is it confined to the Border area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

kona wrote: »
    Some ****ing ****e being posted in here. A non republican
    Band taken out and executed by a agent of the british government and all some have to say is oh both sides were at it?

What a joke. British ruling class have and always will be a bunch of nasty racist ***** that are a stain on the jocks of life.

Looking forward to the FG commemoration of Nairac in 100 years time.sure isn't he part of our shared history too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

maccored wrote: »
    northern bank robbery? the one the RUC and the brits did?

Dont think the provos done the diesel laundering - I'd say that's locals on the border. if you dont want smuggling, dont invent a border out of nowhere.

Harcourt st were dissidents were they not? Have you anything as supporting evidence that there 'still is a provo empire' or is this just all complete and utter bollocks? (nevermind the bank robbery was almost two decades ago)

So slab Murphy wasn't into diesel laundering? :pac:

Probably was T but this is a thread about a British army officer who coordinated and acted in a terrorist capacity to murder innocent people. Slab Murphy has the moral high ground here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

So the British state runs a murder campaign aimed at Catholics and we have to put the past behind us and remember that both sides did bad things?

What the actual...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

alastair wrote: »
    Not all persuasions. The bulk in the hands of republicans, and a rather pat tip-off about a bag’s worth left in a locker in a retired PSNI sports club, but with no link to anyone in particular. Certainly any neutral observer at the time concluded it was a robbery by one specific persuasion.

no, i don't think that's actually correct. the money laundering ring uncovered many people of different political alignments - as far as I can remember, considering ITS SO FAR IN THE ****ING PAST.

He lives on the border. As I say, dont make fake borders if you dont want smuggling. that would exist regardless of the republican movement.

Very obvious thing to have to point out.

Miami Show band Massacre was just one of the many, many, many murders committed by the British government. Many people south of the border have always found it hard to believe that them poor unionists and the british could ever do such things. they have and they probably still do.

I remember when I first posted on here years ago and I outlined how I was harassed regularly by the RUC. The general consensus was A) I was lying or B) i was some form of scumbag who deserved it. Five words describe the attitude to the north down these parts - Have Not Got a Notion. Yet to hear some of the bull**** thrown around you'd think they were experts on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

He lives on the border. As I say, dont make fake borders if you dont want smuggling. that would exist regardless of the republican movement.

Isn’t it even more obvious to point out that the vast majority of people either side of the border manage to get through their day without the urge to launder diesel?

Isn’t it even more obvious to point out that the vast majority of people either side of the border manage to get through their day without the urge to launder diesel?

such things exist regardless of their political beliefs. go talk to a local.

Miami Show band Massacre was just one of the many, many, many murders committed by the British government. Many people south of the border have always found it hard to believe that them poor unionists and the british could ever do such things. they have and they probably still do.

I remember when I first posted on here years ago and I outlined how I was harassed regularly by the RUC. The general consensus was A) I was lying or B) i was some form of scumbag who deserved it. Five words describe the attitude to the north down these parts - Have Not Got a Notion. Yet to hear some for the bull**** thrown around you'd think they were experts on the subject.

My parents were both nearly killed in a Glenanne Gang car bombing. I’ve lived in Derry and been subject to police harassment. I’m still well able to spot a dissembler for Provo bank jobs and diesel laundering when I see one. Perhaps consider something short of implausible claims, and you might garner some credibility? Just a thought.

such things exist regardless of their political beliefs. go talk to a local.

Yeaah - not really the point.

• Advertisement

Probably was T but this is a thread about a British army officer who coordinated and acted in a terrorist capacity to murder innocent people. Slab Murphy has the moral high ground here.

I didn't bring the subject into the thread

One of the top men in the Republican movement, but it was nothing to do with that it was just his day job was it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So the British state runs a murder campaign aimed at Catholics and we have to put the past behind us and remember that both sides did bad things?

What the actual...

Yep. If there's ever to be a united Ireland, both sides will have to come to terms with the past and the actions of both sides.

Don't forget Haughey and the guns in the 70s which Jack Lynch seemed content to turn a blind eye to (and subsequent claims that he knew all about) until Cosgrave found out - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_Crisis

Moving on isn't the same as forgetting or ignoring what happened, but until it happens there will always be division on this island

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Yep. If there's ever to be a united Ireland, both sides will have to come to terms with the past and the actions of both sides.

Don't forget Haughey and the guns in the 70s which Jack Lynch seemed content to turn a blind eye to (and subsequent claims that he knew all about) until Cosgrave found out - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_Crisis

Moving on isn't the same as forgetting or ignoring what happened, but until it happens there will always be division on this island
    Best thing Haughey ever did. The British state was murdering Catholics.

It's not obvious to me why anyone would point it out in a thread about a terrorist attack on unarmed civilians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Coming to terms isn't the problem it's the whitewashing of facts thats an issue. Also how some people always feel the need to score points regardless of the thread topic.

It's not obvious to me why anyone would point it out in a thread about a terrorist attack on unarmed civilians.

Because somebody made a silly claim about it? In the thread?

Coming to terms isn't the problem it's the whitewashing of facts thats an issue. Also how some people always feel the need to score points regardless of the thread topic.

Nobody was whitewashing the facts with regard to the Miami Showband Massacre. It’s long established that there was police and military collusion with the Glenanne Gang. It’s always been rumoured that Nairac might have had involvement, but there’s been little to substantiate it, and independent investigations couldn’t support the claim. I’m not clear what the new evidence covers specifically, but I’d bet it doesn’t remove the uncertainty of who was pulling strings and where.

Advertisement