Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimum tyre pressure for 700 24C

Options
  • 25-01-2020 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

What’s the optimum tyre pressure for these tyres? There doesn’t appear to be anything on the rim.

We can use the automated pump at the local petrol station. We don’t want to have a tyre blow out when cycling.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The pump at the station probably won't go near the pressure you want. But that's a moot point I suspect, because it probably won't have the connector to pump the tyre. you'd probably want 90 psi or greater on it, around three times what you'd pump a car tyre to.

Split the difference between 23c and 25c? So 7.5 bar or 109 psi.

Will the ones at the petrol station even go that high???? :confused:

EDIT: MB beat to the valve problem but I'd actually not heard much about 24c tyres before but according to this https://www.wiggle.co.uk/challenge-strada-tubular-tyre-24
    Tyre pressure rating in BAR 7-10
    Tyre pressure rating in PSI 101-145

Get a track pump OP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

because it probably won't have the connector to pump the tyre...
    Leaving aside the matter of lack of high pressure, it possible to inflate with different connectors.

Put a piece of cloth over the valve and put the filling station connector down over it. Some air will escape but some will still go into the tube. (We used to do it regularly when we were children!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TK Lemon wrote: »
    What’s the optimum tyre pressure for these tyres? There doesn’t appear to be anything on the rim.

We can use the automated pump at the local petrol station. We don’t want to have a tyre blow out when cycling.

What weight are you? this will be a more deciding factor. All a rim gives you is the max pressure, not the optimal. The heavier you are,the closer to the max. you can go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Leaving aside the matter of lack of high pressure, it possible to inflate with different connectors.

Put a piece of cloth over the valve and put the filling station connector down over it. Some air will escape but some will still go into the tube. (We used to do it regularly when we were children!)
    That works even on a presta valve?

• Advertisement

That works even on a presta valve?
    Yup - we had to do it when we had tubes that didn't have Schrader valves.

(That said, I haven't tried it for about 35/40 years but I presume it hasn't changed).

good to know as a possible 'get me out of jail free' situation if i'm ever stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

what weight are you?
    What surface are you on - smooth tarmac or rough tar-and-chip?
    Is smoothness or speed your preference?
    There's a lot of 'it depends'.

good to know as a possible 'get me out of jail free' situation if i'm ever stuck.
    Another option using a modified valve cap:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

61nPg7Z3T1L._SX425_.jpg

If you carry one of these on your bike/person you can always inflate your presta tubes at garage forecourts. Or just carry C02 ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement