Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

devnull wrote: »
    Those are the only stops on each route, from what I have heard.

All routes will operate via Port Tunnel.

Cheers. That will be quite handy for a lot of people then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I am going to be hopefully one of the drivers on the new Dublin Express service.
    Training for the drivers starts this week and can update here when I know more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Twitter page now up for Dublin Express
    https://twitter.com/dublin_express

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The livery from that Twitter handle sort of matches the Dublin colours even though no light blue is used.

A bit more information on the stops for Dublin Express.
    -
    Custom House (782/783/784 - 20 minute combined frequency)
    - The stop from Dublin Airport will be on George's Quay
    - The stop t Dublin Airport will be directly outside the Custom House

Smithfield (782 - once per hour)
    - The stop from Dublin Airport will be on Usher's Quay
    - The stop to Dublin Airport will be Dublin Bus stop 1477.

Merrion Square (784 - once per hour)
    - The stop from Dublin Airport will be Dublin Bus Stop 493, Merrion Square
    - The stop to Dublin Airport will be Dublin Bus Stop 409, opposite Merrion Square

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

koutoubia wrote: »
    I am going to be hopefully one of the drivers on the new Dublin Express service.
    Training for the drivers starts this week and can update here when I know more.

Good luck with the new job. Maybe drop a few hints that their prospective customers would like to see some official info. on their website about timetables, routes and fares.

It's currently just advertising job opportunities......

https://www.dublinexpress.ie/

coylemj wrote: »
    Good luck with the new job. Maybe drop a few hints that their prospective customers would like to see some official info. on their website about timetables, routes and fares.

I'm not surprised that NX are keeping their cards close to their chest, I'd say all three operators are at the moment waiting to see who blinks first as there is going to be a major battle.

All routes are 24 hours and the routes that they take and the frequency has been outlined further up the thread along with the stops that they shall be making unless something has changed, which is unlikely.

In relation to fares, as stated previously there is a flat fare and it will not be any more expensive than the 2 alternative operators for adult fares. I do not know about children or returns etc at present. Not sure if they are taking free travel pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The livery from that Twitter handle sort of matches the Dublin colours even though no light blue is used.

Ye never know,there could well be a splash of the Kerry colours around Collinstown yet....:)

https://www.route-one.net/coach-routes/flixbus-uk-domestic-coach-network-announced/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Dublin Express Facebook page is now up at:
    https://www.facebook.com/dublinexpresscoach
    In relation to fares, as stated previously there is a flat fare and it will not be any more expensive than the 2 alternative operators for adult fares.

As mentioned on their Facebook page, the price is €6.

Dublin Express Timetable attached

• Advertisement

Dublin Express Facebook page is now up at:
    https://www.facebook.com/dublinexpresscoach

As mentioned on their Facebook page, the price is €6.

Website is now live with directions to stops and the ability to book single tickets.

p_haugh wrote: »
    Website is now live with directions to stops and the ability to book single tickets.

Interesting that if you want to write to them you need to send a letter to the UK and if you want to ask for assistance you have to speak to their team which is in Birmingham. Suggests they are not going to have a presence of their own in Ireland for customer support and everything will go through NX HQ.

To quote their address
    Dublin Express - Customer Services
    Mill Lane
    Digbeth
    Birmingham
    England
    B5 6DD

I'd be curious just how many staff that they are employing in Ireland, since they're not employing the drivers and the customer service and operational staff also seem like they are through Sigmar. Not clear if Sigmar are acting as an employment agency or a contractor though so maybe they might be on NX books.

Interesting that if you want to write to them you need to send a letter to the UK and if you want to ask for assistance you have to speak to their team which is in Birmingham. Suggests they are not going to have a presence of their own in Ireland for customer support and everything will go through NX HQ.

To quote their address

I'd be curious just how many staff that they are employing in Ireland, since they're not employing the drivers and the customer service and operational staff also seem like they are through Sigmar. Not clear if Sigmar are acting as an employment agency or a contractor though so maybe they might be on NX books.

I noticed that as well, strange indeed!
    And for lost property, you’re directed to go to the airport lost property office

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Revised-Timetable-on-Route-7472/
    Revised Timetable on Route 747
    Published on Thursday, February 20, 2020

We wish to advise customers of a revised timetable on Route 747.

From Monday 24 February 2020, a Summer timetable will be in operation for Route 747. The buses will operate every 10 minutes Monday to Friday.

Very short notice for a timetable change - clearly were holding it back to not give the cards away too quickly.

p_haugh wrote: »
    I noticed that as well, strange indeed!
    And for lost property, you’re directed to go to the airport lost property office

Makes you think that NX are doing very little in house in Ireland doesn't it.

Makes you think that NX are doing very little in house in Ireland doesn't it.

Means they can easily pull out if it all goes south!

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Revised-Timetable-on-Route-7472/

Very short notice for a timetable change - clearly were holding it back to not give the cards away too quickly.

Surprised they haven’t made the 747/757 24 hour routes yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I could be wrong but this summer timetable didn't run 2019 after it started in 2018. They will quietly go back to 15 min in a few months.

From the DX FAQ...

1. Drivers will accept payment by card only i.e. no cash.

2. If you book a timed ticket, there is +/- two hours flexibility on when you can use it.

https://www.dublinexpress.ie/faq.html

I'd expect they will accept contactless payment so can't yet see any benefit in booking in advance. I stopped booking Aircoach tickets online when they started accepting contactless. The online ticket saves you €1 but requires you to unlock your phone and find the e-mail to show it to the driver when boarding which I find is a PITA. Whereas buying the ticket when boarding by tapping your debit card is very efficient and on the return leg, you can have the little paper ticket ready in your shirt pocket to show to the driver.

And if I book DX in advance and my flight is delayed by more than two hours, they can make me buy a new ticket! So I'd like them to tell me why I should book in advance. Apart from the usual nonsense about it guaranteening me a seat. I've never been on an Aircoach that was more than 75% full.

I thougt DX were taking over the old Aircoach stops outside both terminals? Their website says 'outside terminal building' for T1 and on the map, it's the old Aircoach departure point but 'Zone21' for T2. Is that the stop from where Aircoach used to depart from T2?

This is their listing for travel in either direction i.e. applies to set down and pick up and suggests they will not set down right at the door of T2.

Dublin Airport Stops

Dublin Airport
    Terminal 1
    Outside Terminal Bldg
    Get directions

Dublin Airport
    Terminal 2
    Zone 21

https://www.dublinexpress.ie/city-to-airport.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

From the DX FAQ...

1. Drivers will accept payment by card only i.e. no cash.

2. If you book a timed ticket, there is +/- two hours flexibility on when you can use it.

https://www.dublinexpress.ie/faq.html

The online ticket saves you €1 but requires you to unlock your phone and find the e-mail to show it to the driver when boarding which I find is a PITA.

Could you not just take a screenshot ? That's what i do for boarding passes.

I thougt DX were taking over the old Aircoach stops outside both terminals? Their website says 'outside terminal building' for T1 but 'Zone21' for T2? Is that the stop from where Aircoach used to depart from T2?

Zone 21 is the current Aircoach T2 stop, yes.
    I'd expect they will accept contactless payment so can't yet see any benefit in booking in advance. I stopped booking Aircoach tickets online when they started accepting contactless. The online ticket saves you €1 but requires you to unlock your phone and find the e-mail to show it to the driver when boarding which I find is a PITA. Whereas buying the ticket when boarding by tapping your debit card is very efficient and on the return leg, you can have the little paper ticket ready in your shirt pocket to show to the driver.

I think that Aircoach really need to incentivise people to book ahead now and offer them discounts to do so because of their poor location in the airport since anyone who walks up to Aircoach services has to make the conscious decision to ignore both Airlink and Dublin Express. Far better to try and create a culture of getting their passengers to book ahead so they don't see DX and decide to travel with them.
    And if I book DX in advance and my flight is delayed by more than two hours, they can make me buy a new ticket! So I'd like them to tell me why I should book in advance. Apart from the usual nonsense about it guaranteening me a seat. I've never been on an Aircoach that was more than 75% full.

Whilst the chance of traveling 2 hours either side on Dublin Express might sound stingy to us in Ireland, a reminder that National Express in the UK on many of their services hold you to the exact time you book, otherwise you need to pay for a full, walk-up price for a new ticket, unless you buy the flexible add on to your ticket when you purchase it.

I've been on Aircoach services which are full but the chances of that happening on a 700 service from 3rd March are going to be less now. Aircoach will allow you to travel as late as you want on the 700 service if your flight is delayed. For the other routes you can travel on the same ticket if there is capacity after all pre-bookers have boarded, else you can wait for the next bus.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Could you not just take a screenshot ? That's what i do for boarding passes.

You still have to unlock your phone at the right time, often with a bag in one hand and only your thumb to code in the pin. And then some idiot boarding the bus in front of you starts to pay the driver in coins and your phone locks up again. I'm the last person in the world who could be accused of being a Luddite but tapping the contactess card outbound and the little paper ticket in my shirt pocket on the return leg is my preferred option for travel on the Aircoach.

Boarding passes are different, the process takes place indoors and you can unlock your phone when the passenger in front of you gets to the head of the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

tbh - sometimes I think that extra few mins walk from T1 I'd be happy with. Driving round the loop to T2 always gets my back up for some reason :D

Zone 21 is the current Aircoach T2 stop, yes.

I think that Aircoach really need to incentivise people to book ahead now and offer them discounts to do so because of their poor location in the airport since anyone who walks up to Aircoach services has to make the conscious decision to ignore both Airlink and Dublin Express. Far better to try and create a culture of getting their passengers to book ahead so they don't see DX and decide to travel with them.

But if DX don't put a ticket stand at the exits from T1 and T2 as Aircoach do at the moment, arriving passengers will simply wander over to the bus park to see what's happening and DX will lose the advantage of having their stop right outside the terminals. The DX FAQ only talks about purchasing a ticket from the driver.

You can see the significant advantage Aircoach had with the ticket stands, especially at T2 where it's right in front of you as you descend the escalator so arriving passengers naturally walk over to the person at the stand and next thing, they're buying a ticket.

But if DX don't put a ticket stand at the exits from T1 and T2 as Aircoach do at the moment, arriving passengers will simply wander over to the bus park to see what's happening and DX will lose the advantage of having their stop right outside the terminals. The DX FAQ only talks about purchasing a ticket from the driver.

Why would people make an active choice of going past two operators to walk through the atrium to see what is going on at a bus park which many don't even know exists? The vast majority of airport bus users are not like me or others on this board who are interest in public transport, they just want to go home as quickly and easily as possible.

Many people who arrive at Dublin Airport will simply come out of arrivals and take the first bus which they know is heading to the city centre or look for the first bus that does it. The tourists or people who are new to the city won't go to the bus park since they most likely will not know it is there and even if they do then they'll probably not see the point of walking over there when adequate options are much closer.l

I'm not the biggest fan of National Express but they know what they are doing at airports and I can assure you that from when their service starts there will be the appropriate marketing and presence at the airport. NX have been involved in many all out competitive fights with incumbents or people they are replacing at airports and they know exactly how to deal with these things. As part of winning the tender the DAA will be heavily assisting promoting the service and advertising will be all over the airport.

The only people who will walk over to the bus stop are existing Aircoach customers who want to remain loyal to them or those that have a pre-existing knowledge of the fact Aircoach serves where they want to go. The amount of walk-up trade is going to be hit by a fair amount, the only way Aircoach can even begin to counter this is to get a big marketing drive going to try and get passengers to book ahead of time so they're not tempted to try the competition.
    You can see the significant advantage Aircoach had with the ticket stands, especially at T2 where it's right in front of you as you descend the escalator so arriving passengers naturally walk over to the person at the stand and next thing, they're buying a ticket.

Actually the escalator to the right is considered the better one, leading to Dublin Bus Airlink services, since the currency exchange shop which was opened on the left hand side blocks the view of the Aircoach advert when walking down the glass corridor so when you are walking down the middle, you can see the Airlink advert to the right easier than the Aircoach one to the left. Wasn't always that way though.

Ok so to clear a few things up.
    Drivers WILL NOT take cash.
    Onboard the drivers can take most contactless payments but not swipe.Chip and pin as well.
    There will be ticket stands at T1 and T2.
    One way ticket is valid for the trip you intend to take when bought form the ticket stand.
    The return will be a time limited open ticket afaik 3 months but dont hold me to that.

If you board in the city centre and only have cash you can then pay at the ticket desk at the airport stop.
    Free travel passes will be accepted but as of yet not leap.

Actually the escalator to the right is considered the better one, leading to Dublin Bus Airlink services, since the currency exchange shop which was opened on the left hand side blocks the view of the Aircoach advert when walking down the glass corridor so when you are walking down the middle, you can see the Airlink advert to the right easier than the Aircoach one to the left. Wasn't always that way though.

I never knew that there was an escalator on the right, let alone that there was a bus service at the bottom of it.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Drivers WILL NOT take cash.
    Onboard the drivers can take most contactless payments but not swipe.Chip and pin as well.
    There will be ticket stands at T1 and T2.
    One way ticket is valid for the trip you intend to take when bought form the ticket stand.
    The return will be a time limited open ticket afaik 3 months but dont hold me to that.

If you board in the city centre and only have cash you can then pay at the ticket desk at the airport stop.

Good to see that some good common sense is applied here :rolleyes:

Why are drivers not being allowed to take cash? Surely it's not something like the bus drivers are contractors of National Express but the airport staff are and therefore they do not want the drivers handling cash?

Sooner or even sooner someone will chance their arm and try to get away without paying, especially if the coach is busy. Is the driver really supposed to remember who doesn't pay and force them to buy a ticket on arrival? How will this be enforced? Ticket checking everyone who gets off the bus?

I assume that Bernard Kavanagh, unlike Aircoach and Dublin Bus, do not recognise Unions?

• Advertisement

All good questions (with the exception of the union one) and was asked and the answer was that it will all be ironed out as the service gets settled.
    I cant say anymore beyond that.
    Before someone points out ...locals , as in Dubs, have pointed out repeatadly that they are being extremely hopeful with their travel times.We will be doing trial runs next week and they can see then.

Advertisement