Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women independents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to Oxfam, in Ireland, women put in 38m hours of unpaid care work every single week. If women received a living wage for this work, it would cost the State that €24bn figure.
    Maintaining a house is now "work" when it'a woman.
    I think Joyce Fegan should get a job as a binwoman, for equality's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

be interesting to see the age profile breakdown of housework. I do all the cooking, laundry and DIY. She does all the cleaning. If i had my way, we'd get rid of most of the furniture, soft furnishings, crockery, glassware, nik naks, houseplants etc and live a pretty spartan life resulting in very little cleaning but i've been over ruled on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

be interesting to see the age profile breakdown of housework. I do all the cooking, laundry and DIY. She does all the cleaning. If i had my way, we'd get rid of most of the furniture, soft furnishings, crockery, glassware, nik naks, houseplants etc and live a pretty spartan life resulting in very little cleaning but i've been over ruled on that.

The standard at which most women consider something clean means that they basically have to do it all on their own to meet their own standard, you cant share a part of the housework where somebodys exoectations are much higher than the other,

Every time I see these articles it just screams at me ‘i want to skip the queue and you should give that to me’

Youve young lads who were in the party at 16 years old, canvassing and leaflet dropping, went to every ard fheis , went on committees , went to the council, became a td , and now you have a lot of women who joined the oarty at 22 in college and want to he on the ticket right away.

Now there are women that cut their teeth the way through also but its so entitled now, wanting the quick escalation to status and monetary levels without decades of prep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's all the women's fault anyway.
    OK Thread finished. Thanks for playing.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    It's all the women's fault anyway.
    OK Thread finished. Thanks for playing.

Basically yes, there are no longer any barriers and its completely up to women to decide how many women run and are elected as politicians, the problem is taking that decision requires loads of hard work for the indiviual and lazy journalists cant comprehend that women are capable of hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We're getting off topic I think.

Women politicians are a necessity in my opinion.
    Without them we would miss out on their views on life and politics.

So Joyce Fegan is complaining about that women are only representing 30% of the contestants in this election.
    Her conclusion seems to be, somehow, that housework is keeping women from politics.
    If fact her conclusion is quite unclear.

But somehow it's white middleaged men's fault.

The whole article is a joke, so fed up of the type.

My point was instead of her complaining why dont women run along with all the other independents. It's the constant poor women victimhood, I feel sorry for the women who made it without all this nonsense, joyce forgets to mention the social Democrats are heavily lead by women, sein fein, DUP, Theresa may a while back, Angela Merkel,Maggie Thatcher in her day, bloody mary Harney.

I've heard it mentioned now in workplaces that theres your token women manager, it's taking away from the ones who worked hard to get where they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I just messaged her asking what her opinion is on what is stopping women from wanting to work in construction. I dont expect a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the inference is that if men did more housework then women would be free from the shackles of domestic drudgery and would run for office. there are of course a few holes in this theory but if we take it at face value it seem men just dont want to do more housework. In my group of friends, domestic duties are all shared but when kids enter the mix i think women tend on doing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Wait until they start putting an economic value on "emotional labour"...headbangers the lot of them!

Its funny how they think child rearing and house work are "unpaid". How do mothers eat and pay bills? Could it be that the state and working dads pay them?? Surly not!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Get a cleaner. Best 50 notes a week you’ll spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Well, having a Dail that’s 80% male isn’t working out so well for the country.

Saying “why don’t they just run as Independents” is to ignore the fact that it’s much harder to get elected as an independent and much more expensive.

KiKi III wrote: »

Saying “why don’t they just run as Independents” is to ignore the fact that it’s much harder to get elected as an independent and much more expensive.

And the 20% of female politicians are hardly raising the bar now are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭bmc58

[PHP][/PHP]

Sometimes you just have to let the boss have her way.It leads to a happy medium.

Why would having 50% women there make it any better? The highway workers are nearly 100% male and the roads are pretty good no? Would schools be better if we changed the 80/20 female/male teacher ratio to 50/50?

Why would having 50% women there make it any better? The highway workers are nearly 100% male and the roads are pretty good no? Would schools be better if we changed the 80/20 female/male teacher ratio to 50/50?

Because politics concerns society as a whole rather than certain specific sectors.

And since society is made up of men and women in almost equal numbers, it makes sense that government would be too.

Would it make for better government?

In some respects I believe it would. For example, I believe that a government with close to 50% women would be more likely to prioritise issues like the cost of childcare. Men in their 50s/ 60s don’t care so much about this because it effects them not a jot.

I believe more young politicians would be a good thing too (though I would rather see them do a good spell in government before they are promoted to senior ministries beyond their experience like Harris and Murphy)

Essentially I believe the Dail should represent a greater cross-section of society overall; more women, more young adults, more working class people.

Because politics concerns society as a whole rather than certain specific sectors.

And since society is made up of men and women in almost equal numbers, it makes sense that government would be too.

Would it make for better government?

In some respects I believe it would. For example, I believe that a government with close to 50% women would be more likely to prioritise issues like the cost of childcare. Men in their 50s/ 60s don’t care so much about this because it effects them not a jot.

I believe more young politicians would be a good thing too (though I would rather see them do a good spell in government before they are promoted to senior ministries beyond their experience like Harris and Murphy)

Essentially I believe the Dail should represent a greater cross-section of society overall; more women, more young adults, more working class people.

And thankfully we live in a country where all those people can run for election...there is nothing stopping them...if you don't like how the people vote then propose a system that doesn't rely on who ordinary citizens vote for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

biko wrote: »
    We're getting off topic I think.

Women politicians are a necessity in my opinion.
    Without them we would miss out on their views on life and politics.

So Joyce Fegan is complaining about that women are only representing 30% of the contestants in this election.
    Her conclusion seems to be, somehow, that housework is keeping women from politics.
    If fact her conclusion is quite unclear.

But somehow it's white middleaged men's fault.

If they cut down on the amount of time spent nagging they could easily have time to run in politics

• Advertisement

And thankfully we live in a country where all those people can run for election...there is nothing stopping them...if you don't like how the people vote then propose a system that doesn't rely on who ordinary citizens vote for...

I think our system of voting is pretty good; it’s more about getting underrepresented groups on the ballot.

I think our current Oireachtas is probably the most diverse one to date, but it’s still far from being a decent cross-section of society.

And yes, a working class person/ woman/ young adult have the same rights, I understand that - but so far it hasn’t translated into a representative government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

There’s a Chris Rock joke somewhere about parents proudly declaring “I raise my kids right”

You don’t get credit for that. Its what you are supposed to do!

I think our system of voting is pretty good; it’s more about getting underrepresented groups on the ballot.

I think our current Oireachtas is probably the most diverse one to date, but it’s still far from being a decent cross-section of society.

And yes, a working class person/ woman/ young adult have the same rights, I understand that - but so far it hasn’t translated into a representative government.

I'm terrified of people like you...you don't destroy democracy in one day, you erode it over time...death by a thousand cuts, in normal society people like you should be shunned, but I probably sound like the nutter!

There are no barriers to women entering government. They just don't want to as much as men. Men seek power more so than women. Other than forcing women to be representatives, you will never see a gender balance in politics. These same natural tendencies are the reasons for gender imbalances in nursing, construction, teaching, tech etc. You will never have your utopia.

I'm terrified of people like you...you don't destroy democracy in one day, you erode it over time...death by a thousand cuts, in normal society people like you should be shunned, but I probably sound like the nutter!

You think I’ll destroy democracy through my desire for more people to run in elections? That’s a hot take.

There are no barriers to women entering government. They just don't want to as much as men. Men seek power more so than women. Other than forcing women to be representatives, you will never see a gender balance in politics. These same natural tendencies are the reasons for gender imbalances in nursing, construction, teaching, tech etc. You will never have your utopia.

Can you point me to any research that suggests women simply don’t want it as much as men? Or is that just an opinion based on nothing?

Can you point me to any research that suggests women simply don’t want it as much as men? Or is that just an opinion based on nothing?

Just look at the list of people who are running for office...this isn't difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You do.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Just look at the list of people who are running for office...this isn't difficult.

That’s a no, then.

• Advertisement

You think I’ll destroy democracy through my desire for more people to run in elections? That’s a hot take.

Would you have a problem with a quota of Catholics...or Scientologists, or deisel car drivers or cocaine users...anybody can run for public office as it stands...you wish to subvert the democratic process...so yes, people like you frighten me.

Advertisement