Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women independents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

KiKi III wrote: »
    That’s a no, then.

Well...I know this is controversial in this day and age...but you can assume their gender and work it out for yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Would you have a problem with a quota of Catholics...or Scientologists, or deisel car drivers or cocaine users...anybody can run for public office as it stands...you wish to subvert the democratic process...so yes, people like you frighten me.

You must be mistaking me with another poster given that I have not at any point suggested or endorsed quotas.

You must be mistaking me with another poster given that I have not at any point suggested or endorsed quotas.

It is the only way to achieve the desired diversity you wish to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Can you point me to any research that suggests women simply don’t want it as much as men? Or is that just an opinion based on nothing?

Its an opinion based on observable evidence. There are no barriers yet women are not putting themselves forward.

Well...I know this is controversial in this day and age...but you can assume their gender and work it out for yourself!!!

I think what you’re trying to say is that more men are running? Well, at least you’ve got that much right. And you’re extrapolating from that to suggest that means women aren’t interested? But you have no proof that they’re not interested. That’s a guess.

There could be a myriad of other reasons.

• Advertisement

Its an opinion based on observable evidence. There are no barriers yet women are not putting themselves forward.

Cool, as long as we’re clear that you have zero actual evidence for your opinion.

Whereas a Joint Oireachtas report has suggested there are multiple barriers to women getting involved in politics.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-five-cs-in-womens-way-29207130.html

No doubt you’ll reject this actual evidence for one reason or another, but there’s real research gone into this unlike your half-baked opinion which you’ve backed up in no way, shape or form.

It is the only way to achieve the desired diversity you wish to see.

I disagree, and please don’t ascribe political positions I don’t hold to me. It’s bad manners, especially when once you’ve done it you say I should be “shunned by society” based on your mistaken assumption.

I disagree, and please don’t ascribe political positions I don’t hold to me. It’s bad manners, especially when once you’ve done it you say I should be “shunned by society” based on your mistaken assumption.

Well don't just come out with utterly banal statements like "more diversity please" without expressing one iota of an idea of how to achieve it then....

Well don't just come out with utterly banal statements like "more diversity please" without expressing one iota of an idea of how to achieve it then....

I’m not allowed to point out something I see as a problem unless I have a fully formed solution?

Cool, as long as we’re clear that you have zero actual evidence for your opinion.

Again, the evidence is there for all to see. Less women are putting themselves forward for election. This is observable and was in fact observed by the feminist author or the article.
    No doubt you’ll reject this actual evidence for one reason or another, but there’s actual research gone into this unlike your half-baked opinion which you’ve backed up in no way, shape or form.

It is not "evidence" at all, you have cited a report written by a biased group of femenists (womenforelection.ie). have you got a more unbiased account of the "barriers" women are facing? Anyway, here is a response to the 5 C's mentioned in the paragraph long link you shared...

Confidence

Grow a pair. If you don't have confidence I don't want you to represent me anyway.

Childcare

Don't have children if you want a career in politics.

Cash

Raise money like everyone else. Men have to raise money for their campaigns.

Candidate Selection

Parties are crying out for women. If a woman is available who is remotely confident, she will get selected over a man in many cases.

Culture

Again, it is not culture that is stopping women from becoming politicians. It is personal choice. There are many many top politicians who are women but they will always be in smaller numbers than men.

None of these "5 C's" have anything to do with sexism.

• Advertisement

I’m not allowed to point out something I see as a problem unless I have a fully formed solution?

Ya I know, it sounds nuts right!

This is why I am afraid of people who drink the identity politics Kool Aid...they don't know what they are doing!

“Grow a pair” What a fantastic way of putting it. You think women need balls?

“Don’t have children if you want a career in politics.” Men don’t have to choose between the two.

Anyway, I’m not going to convince you of anything, your mind is made up. And your arguments are so lacking in any kind of depth, nuance or evidence that it’s hard to take you seriously.

So I’m off to do something more pleasant with my afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

“Don’t have children if you want a career in politics.” Men don’t have to choose between the two.

life isnt fair. there are loads of well known stats of how men have worse lives than women and vice versa. ce la vie. we're not going to socially engineer biological realities out of existence any time soon.

Ya I know, it sounds nuts right!

This is why I am afraid of people who drink the identity politics Kool Aid...they don't know what they are doing!

It is nuts. You sound unstable based on your posts on this thread.

This is a discussion forum. If people were only allowed to discuss problems they have all the answers for it would be a quiet place indeed.

Like kidchameleon you have no interest in engaging in a genuine discussion aimed at finding solutions. You’d rather simply pretend men being in charge is the natural order of things.

Slán.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Whereas a Joint Oireachtas report has suggested there are multiple barriers to women getting involved in politics.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-five-cs-in-womens-way-29207130.html

No doubt you’ll reject this actual evidence for one reason or another, but there’s real research gone into this unlike your half-baked opinion which you’ve backed up in no way, shape or form.

The only one of those that is a genuine barrier is childcare. The rest is BS.

It is nuts. You sound unstable based on your posts on this thread.

This is a discussion forum. If people were only allowed to discuss problems they have all the answers for it would be a quiet place indeed.

Like kidchameleon you have no interest in engaging in a genuine discussion aimed at finding solutions. You’d rather simply pretend men being in charge is the natural order of things.

Slán.

Ya, in this day and age, someone like me does sound nuts...I've already mentioned that....I like living in a culture rooted in "democracy" where all can run for public office and we all have the freedom of choice to do so or not.

You haven't even presented anything that remotely looks like a solution...without which there is no discussion...you just expect us to unquestionably accept your desire for "more diversity" because you believe you live your life to a higher moral standard , otherwise known as virtue signalling...this is an open forum not a twitter rabbit hole!!

The reason there is disparity is that not even women will vote for women

Yurt! wrote: »

Its not really. If you want to raise to the top of any career, it is better not to have children. If anything, it is unfair on men, they CANNOT have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

The standard at which most women consider something clean means that they basically have to do it all on their own to meet their own standard, you cant share a part of the housework where somebodys exoectations are much higher than the other,

Interestingly there was a study (in the US I think) that concluded exactly this. A large amount of the effort was to do things “they way they wanted it done”. Fine and good but I’m not sure if I hire someone to do a job and they deliver on what’s asked to an acceptable standard I’m certainly not paying the company again to redo it or augment it just because someone decided it could be done better in their view.

Anyway, I’m not going to convince you of anything, your mind is made up. And your arguments are so lacking in any kind of depth, nuance or evidence that it’s hard to take you seriously.

So I’m off to do something more pleasant with my afternoon.

Wow, politician material right there :rolleyes: Well done young lady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

?

In some respects I believe it would. For example, I believe that a government with close to 50% women would be more likely to prioritise issues like the cost of childcare. Men in their 50s/ 60s don’t care so much about this because it effects them not a jot.

I don't think many women in their 50s/60s are effected much by childcare.

Neither do women. Maternity leave, on full pay, is granted to all Oireachtas members. Representatives can return to work after the leave has expired. They can't be discriminated against due to their absence.

Yurt! wrote: »

Childcare is BS too. It suggests that the person (male or female) wants the job in politics - and the extremely long hours/travel that comes with it - but also wants be the main childcare provider for their offspring. The two are incompatible! But it's as incompatible for father's of children as it is for mother's. Unless the suggestion is that it's the mother's job to look after the children?

KaneToad wrote: »
    Unless the suggestion is that it's the mother's job to look after the children?

well this has been the case for the entirety of human history across all known societies and cultures, also for the majority of species that have evolved on this planet.

it's a hard habit to break.

Neither do women. Maternity leave, on full pay, is granted to all Oireachtas members. Representatives can return to work after the leave has expired. They can't be discriminated against due to their absence.

Legally no. But the electorate might forget who the woman is if she disappears for months to have a baby whilst a childless & ambitious candidate takes up the slack. Additionally, a female politician will be less available to her constituents if she is trying to balance a political life with the role of a mother. Both are full time jobs in their own right.

It is easy enough to have a job and be a mother but to have a career and be a mother is much more difficult if not impossible. A political career requires far more hours than a standard work week. Women want to be with their children whilst men want to bring back the bread so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The electorate would punish them for the absence (though Dara Murphy got away with it! ). "We put you in there and now there will be zero clinics." Well maybe a councillor will deputise but then the councillor will try to push you out at the next selection committee.

In politics your worst enemies are usually in your own party.

All this shouldn't happen but it does

well this has been the case for the entirety of human history across all known societies and cultures, also for the majority of species that have evolved on this planet.

it's a hard habit to break.

Ya but Mother Nature is a Patriarchal Construct!

Ya but Mother Nature is a Patriarchal Construct!
    well indeed. we also have no idea what the long term impact of socially engineering ourselves out of our biological constraints will be. Paleo diets are said to be good, what about paleo gender roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What struck me is if women feel so aggrieved, why have more not run as independents in protest and I am sure if the 50% women vote for them it would show the parties.

At the risk of pointing out the blatantly obvious, that article represents the opinion of just one woman who feels aggrieved. One woman does not represent all women, and you’re not the only person missing that point, the author misses it too in assuming women think like she does.

The whole point of politics is that people’s political opinions are represented, it has nothing to do with specific traits of the individual politician who is elected to make representations on behalf of their constituents. In the same way as I can’t vote for politicians who aren’t standing for election in my constituency, I can’t vote for someone who chooses not to stand for election at all.

The author of that article appears to refuse to accept the possibility that women don’t stand for election simply because they don’t want to. The author appears to be assuming that it isn’t a conscious choice. How quaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I'm gonna vote for the Greens I want a pet wolf

Advertisement