Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabies alert in Cork area???

Options
  • 25-01-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭

Just like seriously ...WTF???

If this sht gets out into our wildlife, in a rabies free country,we can write off hunting with dogs,shooting,fox hunting for a LONG TIME.

As you can see from the map,if you live within 8 klicks of Cork city,you can cancel the last days of the season now because of this,and the rest of the deer season as well.

I suspect this is some fur farm down there with a new import from abroad? Imagine if the antis had raided that place and released a rabid mink or whatever into the wild?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/possible-case-of-rabies-found-in-co-cork/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jaysus! That's not good. Seems it was a pet according to the report you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Looks like it is centred on Riverstick, Co. Cork The 8km zone goes from Cork airport to Kinsale, north to south and Carrigaline to between Halfway and Innishannon west to east.

The exotic pet trade seems to be seriously unregulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Would anyone have the link to the dept of agriculture official notice? I cannot for the life of me find it and my father wants to see it. All I can find is the media quoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Give it a week and it might show up on the press section of the dept site. But for now this link was updated 3 days ago https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/rabies/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

The greens will love this. They will find a way to charge us for that as well.

marlin vs wrote: »
    The greens will love this. They will find a way to charge us for that as well.

Nobody will "love this" and I genuinely can't see anyone blaming the hunting community on the carelessness of the exotic pet trade scene.

However, I can see the hunting community all of a sudden being quietly appreciated if there was a serious rabies breakout

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Not bothered normally

given that you need a license for a dog and a passport for a horse how does a this animal end up ill in Cork.......lets hope this serves as a valuable lesson to those who would seek to import the strange for their viewing pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

John_Rambo wrote: »
    However, I can see the hunting community all of a sudden being quietly appreciated if there was a serious rabies breakout

The horse& hound crowd would be gone instantly!! As you would have to have evey hound innoculated immediately.Then you have the trouble of any foxes caught by the pack being impossible to check for rabies after the pack has finished with it.As wll as the pursuit dispersing a possible rabid litter of fox cubs all over the countryside in cub hunting season.

Us hunters wouldnt fare much better.ALL our dogs ,inc domestic pets,that means cats,ferrets, any mammal,bar some reason hares and rabbits would need to be vaccineted immediately,and we dont have stockpiles of the anti rabies serum to hand right away,and it needs to be cultivated and used within a certain period.So imagine the backlog of that here in the vets... We'd do well shooting foxes,but would need to be wearing rubber gloves handling the cadavers,which should be SOP with foxes anyway,considering the other nasty parasites and diseases they carry,and would need to be disposing of the carcasses correctly.IE cremation or burying,or sending them to the Govt lab for testing for rabies.and how long will they be able to cope with that influx as well?Seeing that we shut down our regional vetinary labs nationwide?:mad:
    Lets not forget that wild animals like bats and deer are also carriers too.

Would play havoc too on our agriculture Forget grazing outside,with the risk of an animal being bitten by a rabid fox ,or dog.

Would cost billions,knowing Ireland,to eradicate or control in the wild. You'd need to do what they did in France and Germany in the 1980s.A massive air drop of chicken heads treated with the anti rabies virus for foxes and badgers over our forested areas. It cost millions back then,and itchecked the sperad in the wild ,but never fully eliminated it.Still a notifiable disease,and mandatory checking in a doc or hospital for any animal bite over thereas I found out much to my cost as a kid bitten once over there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I thought all animal imports from rabies affected country's had to be put in quarantine for a time, before being allowd out of the country? Probably an Anti imported it for cuddles

Not anymore.But it is supposed to have a EU pet passport,with all revelant immunisations up to date.Thats for dogs&Cats anyway.You would assume it is the same for the weasel family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 outfoxing

I’m in this 8km zone so as my user name suggests this really effects my activities how are these exotics still being allowed in to the country in the last few years we’ve had coypu ,snakes and some other type of big rat and on one occasion a free range buffalo wandering the road in our parish I kid you not, I’m starting to feel like doctor doo little
    Then again maybe they all just want say there from cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

outfoxing wrote: »
    I’m in this 8km zone so as my user name suggests this really effects my activities how are these exotics still being allowed in to the country in the last few years we’ve had coypu ,snakes and some other type of big rat and on one occasion a free range buffalo wandering the road in our parish I kid you not, I’m starting to feel like doctor doo little
    Those exotic pet's are Langers boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

What is it with Cork? Seems the place has had more invasive species sightings than anywhere else in the country.

P.s anyone know where I'd get a couple of Muskrats lol

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The horse& hound crowd would be gone instantly!! As you would have to have evey hound innoculated immediately.Then you have the trouble of any foxes caught by the pack being impossible to check for rabies after the pack has finished with it.As wll as the pursuit dispersing a possible rabid litter of fox cubs all over the countryside in cub hunting season.

Us hunters wouldnt fare much better.ALL our dogs ,inc domestic pets,that means cats,ferrets, any mammal,bar some reason hares and rabbits would need to be vaccineted immediately,and we dont have stockpiles of the anti rabies serum to hand right away,and it needs to be cultivated and used within a certain period.So imagine the backlog of that here in the vets... We'd do well shooting foxes,but would need to be wearing rubber gloves handling the cadavers,which should be SOP with foxes anyway,considering the other nasty parasites and diseases they carry,and would need to be disposing of the carcasses correctly.IE cremation or burying,or sending them to the Govt lab for testing for rabies.and how long will they be able to cope with that influx as well?Seeing that we shut down our regional vetinary labs nationwide?:mad:
    Lets not forget that wild animals like bats and deer are also carriers too.

Would play havoc too on our agriculture Forget grazing outside,with the risk of an animal being bitten by a rabid fox ,or dog.

Would cost billions,knowing Ireland,to eradicate or control in the wild. You'd need to do what they did in France and Germany in the 1980s.A massive air drop of chicken heads treated with the anti rabies virus for foxes and badgers over our forested areas. It cost millions back then,and itchecked the sperad in the wild ,but never fully eliminated it.Still a notifiable disease,and mandatory checking in a doc or hospital for any animal bite over thereas I found out much to my cost as a kid bitten once over there.

I was more thinking of hunters with guns shooting mad rabid animals!! But, yeah, thanks for the education, scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I’m with you if you think we should be a bit more Australian when it comes to potentially nefarious imports of exotic animals.

Let the Dept. of Agriculture destroy and incinerate them at the point of entry.

We have no need for raccoons, non native mustelids, all sorts of big cats and so on to be chucked out into the wild once the muppets that took them in as “pets” get fed up of them.

Advertisement