Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F.E.A.R...you've got the fear

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I stopped drinking alcohol 1 year ago. recently i got some heineken Zero.
    Weird thing was after about 4 of them i started forgetting where i put stuff and felt like i was getting drunk. I was not able to find words I wanted to say, I actually felt like I was getting drunk. weird:confused: like those fake drugs they give people cant recall the word.......:eek:

Placebo

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Or just have a drink and don't get to a point where you wake up in the morning feeling awful? As in, scale it back, drink water and take breaks every 3rd round or whatever.

Makes sense. If you’re someone that has the capacity to do that. Many can’t, many don’t know when to stop once they’ve started or one drink can be the difference between good and bad to horrific judgement and trying to strike that balance is always going to carry serious risk.

I’d be in the latter camp. I wouldn’t describe myself as an alcoholic, I just know that even a moderate amount of alcohol can have a seriously detrimental impact on me and the benefits aren’t worth those darker sides anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Or just have a drink and don't get to a point where you wake up in the morning feeling awful? As in, scale it back, drink water and take breaks every 3rd round or whatever.

Think you're on to something. You should go to seminars around the world and spread your vast knowledge on the subject of alcoholism and drug/gambling addiction to help millions of people.

"Shure lads just scale it back, be grand".

Quite the philosopher you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

peddlelies wrote: »
    Think you're on to something. You should go to seminars around the world and spread your vast knowledge on the subject of alcoholism and drug/gambling addiction to help millions of people.

Thank you, and we can all go for some pints after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

peddlelies wrote: »

I've gotta agree with this. If somebody is at the crossroads of drinking to excess and winding up in dangerous situations etc and yet chooses (for want of a better word) to continuously go that road over the pretty shiny sober road filled with puppy dogs, rainbows and ice-cream then advising them to 'cut back' is pretty futile advise. They can't seem to cut back despite it adversely affecting their live and therein lies the problem!

I even have a few straightforward seemingly easy rules for myself that I frequently break and it's not that I want to break them, it's like a compulsion.
    It's a form of self sabotage like - I know whiskey will **** me up and make bad sh*t happen, solution - do not drink whiskey... five minutes later, hey barkeep, throw me on a Guinness there and don't be stingey with the Glenfiddich chaser!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

Porklife wrote: »
    I've gotta agree with this. If somebody is at the crossroads of drinking to excess and winding up in dangerous situations etc and yet chooses (for want of a better word) to continuously go that road over the pretty shiny sober road filled with puppy dogs, rainbows and ice-cream then advising them to 'cut back' is pretty futile advise. They can't seem to cut back despite it adversely affecting their live and therein lies the problem!

I even have a few straightforward seemingly easy rules for myself that I frequently break and it's not that I want to break them, it's like a compulsion.
    It's a form of self sabotage like - I know whiskey will **** me up and make bad sh*t happen, solution - do not drink whiskey... five minutes later, hey barkeep, throw me on a Guinness there and don't be stingey with the Glenfiddich chaser!

Its that fecking first one that does all the damage!!
    One glass for me leads to a bucketful.
    one biscuit? thank you very much I'll eat the packet. Then another.
    I've no 'off' switch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

SnrInfant wrote: »
    Its that fecking first one that does all the damage!!
    One glass for me leads to a bucketful.
    one biscuit? thank you very much I'll eat the packet. Then another.
    I've no 'off' switch

Very much a case of ‘ I know my limits . . . I just can’t stick to them’

Advertisement