Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Undoing [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the twist was
    there was no twist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So the twist was
    there was no twist

So it was
    the hammer
    after all - phew

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

what a bull***t series, started brilliant and had promise to be great and then this .... f**k off HBO .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Last episode went totally off the rails in the last 10 minutes. In the end, the Undoing really had nothing new or interesting to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That finale was dreadful, literally nothing interesting happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Oh dear that was all a bit of a troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

A very frustrating watch. Started out well and just became more ridiculous. Red herrings all over the place that amounted to nothing. Characters saying and doing things that barely made sense. Just a poor effort given the level of talent involved in making it.

The most surprising thing was that it ended up being even more sh1t that I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Disappointing for sure. Found Grant unbearable tbh.

Disappointing for sure. Found Grant unbearable tbh.

I was trying to figure out what annoyed me most and ya I think it was hugh grant

What a pile of ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Shocking that neither the police not the prosecution thought it might be a good idea to interview the suspect's family or investigate his background, the defence didn't even turn it up. A literal skeleton in his closet.

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1333493663112986625?s=19

Saw this tweet and thought yeh, it would be great if you had portrayed him as a toxic man but you literally constantly sowed doubt, I get this is what toxic people do, gaslighting etc but if you want your show to have a "gotcha" moment make sure the audience knows that's what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

El Sueño wrote: »
    That finale was dreadful, literally nothing interesting happened

agree , dire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Terrible dross.
    The kid annoyed me a frightening amount too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I was trying to figure out what annoyed me most and ya I think it was hugh grant

Agree. Also he is unable to do an American accent? Though that would probably have made him even more annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Agree. Also he is unable to do an American accent? Though that would probably have made him even more annoying.

His character was English.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

A turdathon. Pretty abysmal. The most applicable word I can think of is stupid.

Add it to the list of 2020 to be forgotten forever please things.

They clearly never had a solid clue how to end it, i thought the acting was good from nearly all of the cast and unlike many here , I thought Hugh Grant was very good but the last episode rendered the whole exercise pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Well.... This could have been so much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

nc6000 wrote: »
    His character was English.

I know but was it written that way to suit him or did he get the part because he's English? I just don't remember him being in anything where he hasn't sounded English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    They clearly never had a solid clue how to end it, i thought the acting was good from nearly all of the cast and unlike many here , I thought Hugh Grant was very good but the last episode rendered the whole exercise pointless
    So do you think they pitched it without an ending, or
    they went "well they guy who everyone thought did it, wait for it, did it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Given it was based on a book I'm pretty sure they knew how it ended but they were determined to lead the audience oa goose chase and keep them guessing. I wonder if the book is as poorly constructed, if the police had been halfway competent they would have searched the holiday home and found the weapon but then there wouldn't have been a need for six episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why the **** did he hide the murder weapon so badly?

siblers wrote: »
    Why the **** did he hide the murder weapon so badly?

there were so many things wrong with this show that's it's not even worth focusing on details like this tbh

pure muck

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Given it was based on a book I'm pretty sure they knew how it ended but they were determined to lead the audience oa goose chase and keep them guessing. I wonder if the book is as poorly constructed, if the police had been halfway competent they would have searched the holiday home and found the weapon but then there wouldn't have been a need for six episodes.

didnt know it was based on a book

the italian actress has the most amazing pair i think ive ever seen , worth watching for that alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok, just finished it

So, when the murder weapon was found, did the penny drop with Grace, whereby she knew Jonathon was the killer. She then decided to testify for the “defence,” knowing she’d be really implementin Jonathon? And the blondie friend advised her to?

Also, Jonathon’s defender: she knew he did it? And her saying to him near the end of the court scenes about him having should made sure he got rid of the hammer confirmed her knowing?

It was complete sh*t. It hinged on the wife's friend giving info to the prosecutor in the jacks on the last day of the trial. Hugh Grant was good in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Nicole Kidman is excellent in Big Little Lies, in this her character is like the female version of Tommy Wiseau

What’s up with her head, she looks like Rocky Dennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Agree. A total anticlimax. I thought her Dad did it!

Agree. A total anticlimax. I thought her Dad did it!

So did I for about the first four episodes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I'm loving all the spoiler tags in this thread ...
    Lucky I watched it last night and not tonight
    Hint edit your posts and put spoiler quote tags in
    You put
    in front of the post and the same at the end except with a forward slash like this / in front of the s and it hides the post such that people have to rap on it to reveal what you wrote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Best thing about it was the Italian girls assets and Nicole's wardrobe, but yes it was so awful and the last episode just dragged on forever and then suddenly Hugh turns into a total nut job. It only got people watching and talking because of the cast, and it worked to be fair.

FunLover18 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1333493663112986625?s=19

Saw this tweet and thought yeh, it would be great if you had portrayed him as a toxic man but you literally constantly sowed doubt.

Trying to rationalise this rubbish with a "woke" tweet is pathetic.

As you say, didn't really bring that across in the series at all.

Completey bonkers and I loved every minute of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nobotty wrote: »
    I'm loving all the spoiler tags in this thread ...
    Lucky I watched it last night and not tonight
    Hint edit your posts and put spoiler quote tags in
    You put
    in front of the post and the same at the end except with a forward slash like this / in front of the s and it hides the post such that people have to rap on it to reveal what you wrote

Is spoiler tags needed for an aired episode

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Completey bonkers and I loved every minute of it :D

I agree, couldn't wait for the next episode. Sure the quality of the writing was poor at times but I thought the main cast made up for that. Hugh Grant was excellent.

I thought that Grant and Kidman were dialling it in by the end.

All Grant did in the last episode was wobble his eyebrows a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I was thinking of spoilers when I wrote my post, but the episode was finished, aired..

I usually don't go near the internet/forums if I don't want to know what happened

Or if I accidentally read a small small bit of a post, I simply stop reading...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

I watched the first episode, saw other parts on Gogglebox, watched the last episode..
    Rubbish...

You shouldnt be going into a thread after the episode has aired with spoilers in the title if you havent watched it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The morning after,yes I'd say since this is a debut weekly episode
    People might want to read the latest theory or what People think without the plot given away

Nobotty wrote: »
    The morning after,yes I'd say since this is a debut weekly episode
    People might want to read the latest theory or what People think without the plot given away

what's the thread tittle again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Finished it last night.

Thought the young guy playing the murder victims son played a blinder, Grant was good as well.

Bit surprised he ended up as the killer, thought there would have been a twist in the tale and it would have been someone we didn't suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Just binged it. Loved the cinematography, found it quite beautiful. Was fun to see how the uber Rich live too ;)

However,the ending was very lame. As he turned out to be this horrible probable psychopath, a more fitting action in line with his character would be to jump and take the kid with him. Hurt her in the worst possible way, and to exact revenge for her betrayal in court.

Rating: 5/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I thought the ending was a bit of a let down in its predictability. Throughout the last two episodes I thought of at least three other scenarios that would have been better and more thrilling. It was just a bit..
    oh, so it was him? Okay. Boring.
    I really thought it was going to be the case that
    Kidman was the murderer the whole time, and all along had been gaslighting everyone around her including the audience. The fact that she purposely made him look bad on the stand kind of fed into the theory that this might happen but then it just.. didn’t.
    I know that’s probably what we were meant to think but I think it would have made for a better ending and a more clever plot.
    It was a grand watch but nothing amazing. I don’t really get why people are losing their lives over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did we ever find out how the murder victim had an intimate portrait of her murderer's wife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Like a lot of shows it ran out of ideas quickly and settled for a predictably poor ending. Pity as it showed alot of promise.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The 'twist' (that he did it) was good as virtually everyone was trying to workout/guess whom it was. I felt that the twist was lost somewhat as it was in the scene where he was driving with his son. So instead of the twist hitting I was focusing on his manic state in the car, was he going to kill them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I thought that finding of the murder weapon at the beach house would exonerate Jonathan, since the timing didn't line up. The kid found it during the day, while I thought Jonathan only got there later that night from Lake whatever. Pretty disappointed in the end to have the standard "husband did it" conclusion.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I think this would have made a decent two hour crime / trial movie but it got pretty thin spread over a six episode miniseries.

Why the hell didn't Hugh Grant's character just throw the hammer in the ocean. It lost all credibility for me there.

I'm a big fan of The Killing and I thought Sofie Grabol did a great job as the prosecutor.

I've seen a lot of Kidman's recent work but I found her cosmetic surgery to be very distracting in The Undoing. There is a very fine line until it starts to look too unnatural and she's crossed it now.

Advertisement