Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair external hard drive, usb connection broken off circuit board

Options
  • 25-01-2020 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,

So I have a hard drive with much wanted photos etc but the usb wire was left plugged in, and that ended up pulling the connector off the circuit board.

I've looked at some videos for a slightly different type of connector, and I've easily opened it up, but I think the soldering is beyond my skill level.

Any advice on where I could get it done? It should be a relatively simple job for someone experienced. I'm based in Cork.

See image below for type of connector.

Thanks for your help!

USB31CUBXM.main.jpg

Comments

Could you get another case for the hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

If you've opened it up, it would be much more useful to see an image of the drive and the damaged area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Any mobile phone repair shops that do charge port replacement should be able to sort it
    Basically the same piece needs to be soldered as in a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The circuit board will unplug from the HDD which will have a standard connection on it most likely.
    The drive can then be used in any PC with a spare connector, allowing you to retrieve the data.

As for a solution if the above is correct ..... probably the best would be to buy a new external housing for the drive so in the long term you can continue to use it by connecting it to a USB port.

HDD physical size and type will determine what type of external case you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The circuit board will unplug from the HDD which will have a standard connection on it most likely.
    The drive can then be used in any PC with a spare connector, allowing you to retrieve the data.

As for a solution ..... probably the best would be to buy a new external housing for the drive so in the long term you can continue to use it by connecting it to a USB port.

HDD physical size and type will determine what type of external case you require.

Hold up there John. That used to always be the way, no longer. Some USB drives are coming with an onboard USB on the disk and no adapter board. Not all but its no longer a sure thing that there'll be SATA inside.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

If it's a 2.5" drive get this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enclosure-SuperSpeed-Reader-Tool-free-External-Red/dp/B07LCGNH7F/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=2.5%22+external+sata+case&qid=1579982656&sr=8-4

Looks for a 3.5" caddy if it's a larger drive. Much cheaper than a solder job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

ED E wrote: »
    Hold up there John. That used to always be the way, no longer. Some USB drives are coming with an onboard USB on the disk and no adapter board. Not all but its no longer a sure thing that there'll be SATA inside.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've never seen that before. Diabolical.

ED E wrote: »

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2GGTQF6oE3E/maxresdefault.jpg

I have not had one of those through here. (BTW, I did say "most likely". ;) )

Are they specific to some manufacturers or some models? EDIT: WD Elements is apparently one?

Is there a particular standard that they confirm to or do manufacturers just do their own thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭salad17

I’ll try that again, pictures of the hat drive and disconnected piece..

I have put a laptop HD in a SATA case before, so I don't know why that didn't occur to me!

I guess I assumed the board with the broken connector was part of and fixed to the HD itself.

I will order a SATA case and go for that. That's a relief, much valued photos on there and when I looked up HD recovery I was seeing €300-400 online!

Thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

salad17 wrote: »
    I have put a laptop HD in a SATA case before, so I don't know why that didn't occur to me!

I guess I assumed the board with the broken connector was part of and fixed to the HD itself.

I will order a SATA case and go for that. That's a relief, much valued photos on there and when I looked up HD recovery I was seeing €300-400 online!

Don't forget to backup afterwards!

Hah yeah, this was the backup this time!

I'll have more than one next time!

salad17 wrote: »

You have confirmed that suitable connections are on the HDD board to connect to Sata and Power cables? (not visible in pics)

Removing it and using one of these would work grand wouldn’t it?

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/hard-drive-accessories/1238044/

Removing it and using one of these would work grand wouldn’t it?

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/hard-drive-accessories/1238044/

Yes, if the connections for the cable are present.

Yes, if the connections for the cable are present.

Ah yes sorry, I hadn’t noticed properly in the photos. The connection pins look to be soldered to the board so that one’s out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ah yes sorry, I hadn’t noticed properly in the photos. The connection pins look to be soldered to the board so that one’s out.

Nah, it looks like there's some sort of proprietary adapter module placed over the drive connectors.

Well it's in the post now anyways! I'll have a look and take it out later. I looked at it compared to the picture of the one for sale and it looked so similar I just went for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It's Toshiba SATA drive

SOLVED: SATA case arrived, installed it no problem, so simple!

I can't find it now, but I was watching a full video on how to re-solder the connection on what was an extremely similar looking HDD... I have no idea why they didn't just change the case!

• Advertisement
Advertisement