Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Gigabox, Mesh and VOIP

• 25-01-2020 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I’ve just got the Gigabox on Vodafone. Have to say disappointed in the Wi-Fi range compared to the previous Eir F2000 (and that wasn’t good)

Can anyone confirm if The Orbi or TP-Link Mesh systems will work with the gigabox and if so what are settings for gigabox please? I can’t replace the gigabox entirely as I have and need VOIP sadly.

If using the Gigabox with a mesh, do all Ethernet ports in the Gigabox become unusable also?

Thanks a lot

Declan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I would connect Orbi as primary router and Gigabox as a "slave" with port forwarding for VOIP

• Registered Users Posts: 21 p15353

Thanks Alec76

I've read that having the Gigabox as a slave disables the VOIP??

p15353 wrote: »
    Thanks Alec76

I've read that having the Gigabox as a slave disables the VOIP??
    That's what you need port forwarding for.

Thanks again

I'm inclined toward the TP-Link Deco M9 Mesh instead of the Orbi....would you know if that'll also work and maintain the VOIP (just before I shell out for it)?

I've never done port forwarding (not great at all on networking as I'm sure is obvious).

Ok to ask for guidance here once bought?

Appreciate this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

alec76 wrote: »
    That's what you need port forwarding for.

Have you actually got VOIP working with Vodafone FTTH doing this?

It seems the Vodafone router creates 2 WAN connections so its more complicated than just port forwarding, see this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112308859

(Refers to TV but believe the VOIP is also on the second WAN as well).

• Advertisement

No , I only have Eir FTTH.
    Why would you need second WAN for VOIP?

alec76 wrote: »
    No , I only have Eir FTTH.
    Why would you need second WAN for VOIP?

Not sure but believe its so they can ensure QOS for VOIP and IPTV.

No-one here seems to have been able to get Vodafone IPTV or VOIP working when connecting a 3rd party router directly to the ONT.

what would disadvantage be to connect the MESH to the Gigabox? Speed?

Does anyone have experience with the TP-LInk Deco M9 MESH or the Orbi? Particularly interested in speeds and parental controls

• Registered Users Posts: 29 R3laX

I have Orbi and Gigabox, but Orbi is in AP mode (cuts features that Orbi offers, so I can't say anything about parental control, sorry) with disabled WiFi on Gigabox (the only change I made in it). I never chased speed really, range/stable connection was something I was looking for. But I ran a quick test recently via wired connection from one of the 'satellites' which yielded around 400Mb down and 200Mb up which is fine by me as things that require all that Gigabox can offer are directly wired. All settings are pretty much default. I do have at least 20 devices connected at all times with variable usage.

I’ve just got the Gigabox on Vodafone. Have to say disappointed in the Wi-Fi range compared to the previous Eir F2000 (and that wasn’t good)

Can anyone confirm if The Orbi or TP-Link Mesh systems will work with the gigabox and if so what are settings for gigabox please? I can’t replace the gigabox entirely as I have and need VOIP sadly.

If using the Gigabox with a mesh, do all Ethernet ports in the Gigabox become unusable also?

Thanks a lot

Declan

Hi again

Can anyone advise if they have used the Orbi with the Gigabox and retained VOIP?

Declan

• Advertisement

All you'd disable is WiFi on the Gigabox (you don't even need to do that technically, just don't use it), leaving all other functionality in it and Orbi in AP mode. Since Orbi will be in AP mode - its functions will be limited.

R3laX wrote: »
    All you'd disable is WiFi on the Gigabox (you don't even need to do that technically, just don't use it), leaving all other functionality in it and Orbi in AP mode. Since Orbi will be in AP mode - its functions will be limited.

Thanks R3IaX

I’ve ordered ORBI but really need it for parental controls. Is there a way to have VOIP on the Gigabox and retain parental controls from ORBI?

I do not think so.

Thnak you!

Thanks R3IaX

I’ve ordered ORBI but really need it for parental controls. Is there a way to have VOIP on the Gigabox and retain parental controls from ORBI?

It should be possible to do (but you may have issues with double NAT, though they can be mitigated using DMZ).

I dont use those particular devices but have a similar setup with the older Vodafone HG659 and a Synology router (which also has decent parental controls).

I have them on different subnets, HG659 is 192.168.0.1 and Synology is 192.168.1.1 on LAN (and 192.168.0.20 on its WAN connection to the HG659)

On the HG659 I have switched off DHCP and WiFi and set the Synology's IP as the DMZ (with no other forwarding of ports, thats all done on the Synology to other devices on the network such as the PC)

I have configured the Synology's Internet settings as manual and entered the IP as 192.168.0.20 (a fixed IP to the HG659) subnet mask same as the HG659 and gateway as 192.168.0.1

The Synology gives out 192.168.1.XX IP addresses to all client devices and handles the routing, parental controls work as set on it.

The VOIP port on the HG659 still functions normally in this setup.

I am not a gamer but the kids play Fortnite etc and don't complain of much issues, when I test the Xbox network connection it says Open NAT (no specific action taken by me to achieve that other than the DMZ as referenced above, the Synology shows some UPNP opened ports).

Advertisement