Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH Digiweb SIRO PPPoE and Related Issues / Trying to Replace CPE - Cisco 3825

Options
  • 25-01-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

First - Apologies if I missed the golden thread that already exists to solve my problems - happy to be linked to glory. I've been scouring everywhere.

Context - Never had FTTH before and never needed a PPPoE config before.

Goal - I'm trying to bridge (or ideally) bypass my Fritzbox and I for the life of me cannot seem to get beyond sending PADIs to no avail. I have tried direct to the ONT (same results) - as well as what seems to be the F.7530's idea of a bridge mode [Internet-->Account Info--><enable> Connected net devices are also allowed to establish their own internet connections] - i've also tried changing the Fritz ISP from Digi to [Other] and [Existing over LAN], no joy. The below is currently with the Fritz in "bridge" or PPPoE passthrough.

Note: I had to remove the digi hostname as I'm a newb and it was being flagged as a URL.

My last attempted variation of a config is as follows:

tori(config-if)# do sh run int gi1/0
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 101 bytes
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet1/0
    no ip address
    no ip redirects
    negotiation auto
    no cdp enable
    end

tori(config-if)# do sh run int gi1/0.10

Current configuration : 154 bytes
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet1/0.10
    description SIRO PPPoE VLAN10
    encapsulation dot1Q 10
    pppoe enable group global
    pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
    end

tori(config-if)# do sh run int dialer1

Current configuration : 417 bytes
    !
    interface Dialer1
    mtu 1492
    ip address negotiated
    encapsulation ppp
    ip tcp adjust-mss 1440
    dialer pool 1
    dialer-group 1
    no cdp enable
    ppp authentication chap pap callin
    ppp chap hostname <digisirohostname>
    ppp chap password 7 104A001E0C001709
    ppp pap sent-username <digihostname> password 7 08254549000E0015
    ppp ipcp dns request accept
    ppp ipcp route default
    ppp ipcp address accept
    end

tori(config-if)#

*Jan 25 19:49:45.439: padi timer expired
    *Jan 25 19:49:45.439: Sending PADI: Interface = GigabitEthernet1/0.10
    *Jan 25 19:50:17.759: padi timer expired
    *Jan 25 19:50:17.759: Sending PADI: Interface = GigabitEthernet1/0.10

tori#sh debug
    PPPoE:
    PPPoE protocol events debugging is on
    PPPoE protocol errors debugging is on
    PPPoE elog debugging is on
    PPP:
    PPP detailed event debugging is on
    PPP authentication debugging is on
    PPP protocol negotiation debugging is on
    PPP Negotiation Elogs debugging is on

I would /love/ some advice or help from anyone that might have similar experience on Digi.

I'm hoping this is just an issue with me vs. Digi itself although am still within my cancel window, if simply moving providers is going to make any difference, now that the fibre is pulled and ONT installed. I would assume that eir and/or VF are likely to have services in the area over SIRO.

Thx in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 skiingsean

FWIW and even though the log snippit shows up but not auth'ing

tori#sh int di1
    Dialer1 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing)
    Hardware is Unknown
    Internet address will be negotiated using IPCP
    MTU 1492 bytes, BW 56 Kbit/sec, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Last input never, output never, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1w0d
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 0/0/16 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 42 kilobits/sec
    5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    55 packets input, 1024 bytes
    57 packets output, 798 bytes
    tori#

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're bridging drop the VLAN, only the first device should need to strip the tags.

Thanks for that reminder Ed!

Not sure what wasn't working but connected direct into the 3825 again today and all is well from a ppp & connectivity standpoint.

*HOWEVER*

I think there are other issues (well sort of) and they seem to be on the Digi side. When I first had my system installed I was actually busy with work and the installers mentioned they were seeing 800/200 (down/up) and I let them go on their way.

When I got to checking things I was only seeing 80/200 - spent an hour on with Digi support and they eventually decided it was a modem issue and shipped out a new Fritzbox. A couple days later and before the new modem arrived, I switched back over for the heck of it and ran a speed test - I was now seeing ~500-800down and the same 200up.

Today after getting the 3825 up and established, I'm all of a sudden seeing 50/200..

Now, I know that the cisco NM-1GE only has a max throughput of around 500 (also annoying) but am wondering if the 50down and knowing that in some awkward and unlikely way might be a coincidence.

I'm going to let it sit a couple of days and keep testing - see if throughput magically kicks up past the 50down as it did with the first Fritzbox.

In the interim, anyone have any thoughts on what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It can't really do 500. It can do a couple hundred with everything OFF. Firewall? Halve your tput. NAT? Halve again.

They stopped selling them in 2011 and supporting them in 2016. Horses for courses, not pensioner ponies.

ED E wrote: »
    It can't really do 500. It can do a couple hundred with everything OFF. Firewall? Halve your tput. NAT? Halve again.

They stopped selling them in 2011 and supporting them in 2016. Horses for courses, not pensioner ponies.

First, sorry on my mobile so if anything gets clobbered that's why.

At the moment I'm not too worried about the capacity of the NM. The above post was more thanking and acknowledging ye for pointing out my obvious faux pas and noting that I got ppp working without changing anything.

The new query relates to the fact that I could only get Eighty down on the original Fritz (directly after install and without verifying the installers claim of 800).

Fast forward, Digi gave up and sent a new modem. Before the new Fritz arrived I noticed that at some point, along the way, speeds of eight hundred (down) were all of a sudden now achievable.

Similarly, now direct into the NM - I am only seeing Fifty (down) but 200UP just like previous.

Why?

..will see if that 50 turns back to the ~500ish that the card is (again ish) supposed to be able to carry (aggregate/bi) on the 3800s. Almost as if, after some time, and after a /new/ piece of kit establishes a handshake with the ONT there is something that removes a limit on the ingress throughput. Every time, I was always and immediately able to hit 200 on egress.

Either way, ppp/pppoe is sorted now.

• Advertisement

The NM-1GE never registered a normal speed and after today I've had the chance to try and test two separate machines direct into the ONT.

Both win10 and both are showing 80/200 just like the first Fritz before it eventually started registering normal speeds.

There is definitely something on the Digi end and it isn't a media(um) problem. Does anyone know how long a new-contract grace period is before cancellation becomes an issue? I'm going to be traveling soon and I don't have time to dick around with something that's going to stick me in a 12-24mo contract I'm not going to be happy with. The last lad I spoke to on the phone guessed 30days but wasn't sure.

Out of curiosity, does anyone from Digi support ever browse or view online threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

14 days cooling off period from time of order (that is not time of installation). That's it.

You are not entitled to anything more by law.

If that time has passed, you would have to argue product not fit for purpose. As you not are using their supplied router, you have no comeback. If you see the same problem with their router and can prove so, then you may have a chance.

/M

Thanks! And well, yes - same results with their router. Not trying to be /that/ customer - but I do this for a living and there's something there. I'm just busy and not willing to sign up for 12-24months of BS hell that I cannot see coming. I'd rather put on pause and deal with it when I have the time.

2weeks of level 1 support is not my idea of "trying to work with someone" if thats what it boils down to (been there in a bunch of countries).

Just tested again - stop already with the "my CPE bits" and here we are again - several days later, I'm up to 400/200. So obviously there is something that's limiting new hardware for a time period - second router - I just can't afford to get stuck in a battle of "well our equip or the highway".

If someone knowledgeable can speak on the matter, i'm happy to have those conversations - I just don't have faith or time - and I'm not stuck to any one provider or against a wall for money. It is, what it is.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Out of interest ..

where in the country are you ?

Digiweb have some SIRO POIs on-Net on some off-Net.

If you're on-Net you should be seeing consistant results.

If you're off-Net, then they bitstream via a third party network. And it's not the first I've heard of such issues in that case.

Obviously, it's their responsibility, but I believe the third party bitstream just doesn't have the bandwidth to consistently provide Gbit/s service FTTH (multiples).

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Out of interest ..

where in the country are you ?

Digiweb have some SIRO POIs on-Net on some off-Net.

If you're on-Net you should be seeing consistant results.

If you're off-Net, then they bitstream via a third party network. And it's not the first I've heard of such issues in that case.

Obviously, it's their responsibility, but I believe the third party bitstream just doesn't have the bandwidth to consistently provide Gbit/s service FTTH (multiples).

/M

I'm currently receiving services in Killarney, Co. Kerry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement