Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

outdoor power cable/plug

• 25-01-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So setting up a camera for the back yard, it needs power and comes with its own 3 pin plug that is about 3cm thick (im guessing it takes the mains down to some voltage the camera likes ).

I have a mains cable on the wall (powering a security light ) and enough spare cable to do a split-er to another device.

My question is how to best link up the mains cable to the cameras 3 pin plug. My current idea is mains cable to outdoor socket - > camera plug - all encased in one of those outdoor plastic boxes for electrics. (https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bg-nexus-4-pole-junction-box/33518)

Is there a neater way or something better?

Comments

Don't put a socket on a non rcd protected 10amp circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭jogdish

Don't put a socket on a non rcd protected 10amp circuit.
    Can you suggest what I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭jogdish

jogdish wrote: »
    Can you suggest what I should do?
    Thanks, all ended up using RCD circuit. And working fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

jogdish wrote: »
    Thanks, all ended up using RCD circuit. And working fine now.

It might be working but is it safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Berserker_5

The ops original idea was prob ok

The socket being in a box would mean it's not for general use so prob wouldn't require an rcd- that's if the box was big enough which I doubt

• Advertisement
Advertisement