Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Best Song of the 70s

• 26-01-2020 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Following on from the best song of the 80s, 90s and soon to be run Noughties, here is the sign up for the best song of the 70s.

Are you a disco diva, a punk or a glam rocker? None of the above?

You can submit 10 songs from 1970 - 1979 to me by PM.

The songs must have been in the Irish, UK or US charts, so no album tracks etc.

As Necro is running the competition for the Noughties next week, I won't be starting this one until that is over (that's the plan anyway). So I'll be taking nominations for at least a week.

Once nominations are in, we will go with the knock out format of the last two threads.

Let the games commence!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Calling it now: Bohemian Rhapsody v Stairway To Heaven. Save yourself the bother. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Calling it now: Bohemian Rhapsody v Stairway To Heaven. Save yourself the bother. :D

Maybe no one will nominate them as they reckon everyone else will

The final could end up being Boney M v The Village People :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Maybe no one will nominate them as they reckon everyone else will

The final could end up being Boney M v The Village People :pac:

If anyone nominates Boney M I will ask to be reinstated as an admin just so I can siteban them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Deep Purple Black Knight or any Sabbath song off there 2nd 3rd or 4th album that was a single, don't wanna say Paranoid but not sure what else was a single, Fairies Wear Boots or perhaps Children Of The Grave?

Edit woops ten songs, I will defo pm 10 in the morning

Zaph wrote: »
    If anyone nominates Boney M I will ask to be reinstated as an admin just so I can siteban them!

As they say about elections, if you don't vote...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Zaph wrote: »

Hahaha, I am tempted now!!!
    No, I just sent mine and no real disco songs in my selections (although half of them are other forms of electronic music - which I reckon won't go very far in the competition)
    I thought I would struggle to find nominations, but I ended up with 10 easily.

The interesting thing was how some classic songs weren't released as singles - David Bowie was an example, Ziggy Stardust wasn't a single!!
    I also broke my rule of nominating more than 1 songs by the same artist - but there is one particular artist whose 2 songs are all-time favourites!!

Rainbowtrout, thank you very much for organising this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Just sent you 10 Boney M songs there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sent in my 10 there. Why I thought sitting down start making my nominations at 2.30 in the morning was a good idea, I'll never know, but got to listen to some forgotten classics, so it's all good.

The '70s were f**king wild though, for the other comps I've more or less been drawn to one particular genre, but was all over the shop on this one, trying to get a bit of everything in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

How did anyone survive the 70's with all those excruciatingly sad ballads. If I listen to one more, I may need to head to the Depression thread next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Deja Boo wrote: »
    How did anyone survive the 70's with all those excruciatingly sad ballads. If I listen to one more, I may need to head to the Depression thread next!

Hyde-That-70s-Show-punk-2.jpg

I'm currently whittling my list down. PM tomorrow Mr. Trout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

when I was young
    *sniffle*
    i never needed anyone
    *teardops*
    ...those days are gone
    *wails*
    tenor.gif

will get a list sent ...after I ring the helpline :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

with all the discussion about Boney M and disco, I realised that I forgot to include The Bee Gees in my nominations.

Ah well, hopefully someone else will.

Just sent you 10 Boney M songs there.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I have a soft spot for Boney M. They were Number 1 when I was born. :D

Sent in my 10 there. Why I thought sitting down start making my nominations at 2.30 in the morning was a good idea, I'll never know, but got to listen to some forgotten classics, so it's all good.

The '70s were f**king wild though, for the other comps I've more or less been drawn to one particular genre, but was all over the shop on this one, trying to get a bit of everything in there...

Ya when I was having a google of songs of the 70s just to see what it would throw up, there was a lot of diversity in the music. My own nominations will be more diverse than my other lists.

Reberetta wrote: »
    Hyde-That-70s-Show-punk-2.jpg

I'm currently whittling my list down. PM tomorrow Mr. Trout!

Ms Trout actually!!!!:D

Was Stairway to Heaven ever actually released as a single in the 70's though? Based on the criteria for the other Best of... decade threads it may not even qualify! Though I guess that's up to rainbowtrout to decide.

Will fire on my list of 10 this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Was Stairway to Heaven ever actually released as a single in the 70's though? Based on the criteria for the other Best of... decade threads it may not even qualify! Though I guess that's up to rainbowtrout to decide.

Doesn't look like Stairway To Heaven was ever released as a single... I had the same problem with The Chain by Fleetwood Mac - was never released as a single, so I didn't nominate it, even though it's easily my favourite '70s song.

just found out one of my favourites was never released a s a single:(

bubblypop wrote: »
    just found out one of my favourites was never released a s a single:(

I'm having similar problem to this. I've picked five or six songs that are very well known (and loved) but were never in the charts.

I think I'll give the 70s a miss and just admire from a distance.

No, just looked it up there, never released as a single. Never knew that!!!

• Advertisement

I have 6 sets of nominations so far, with very few duplicates, 54 songs in total.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I have a soft spot for Boney M. They were Number 1 when I was born. :D

So what you're saying is that you weren't old enough to actually experience the horror that was Boney M. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Well thank god for that, if there are 2 songs I have an irrational hate for its this and bridge over troubled waters. Have a list almost ready, will fire it off this evening rbt.

This was on my original list and was released as a single but never charted anywhere as far as I can tell:

If we get around to the 60's nobody is gonna be able to nominate The Velvet Underground given their lack of commercial success, unless there's a rule change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Kolido wrote: »
    Well thank god for that, if there are 2 songs I have an irrational hate for its this and bridge over troubled waters. Have a list almost ready, will fire it off this evening rbt.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I fear you are correct from Stairway to Heaven Wiki
    Jimmy Page told Rolling Stone in 1975, "We were careful to never release it as a single,"[45] which forced buyers to buy the entire album.[46] Despite pressure from Atlantic Records, the band would not authorise the editing of the song for single release, making "Stairway to Heaven" one of the most well-known and popular rock songs never to have been released as a single. It did, however, appear on two promotional discs in the United States, one of them featuring the 7:55 track on each side, and the other as a 7-inch 33​1⁄3 record produced for jukebox operators with "Stairway to Heaven" on one side and both "Black Dog" and "Rock and Roll" on the other. Other "single" appearances were on an Australian EP, and in 1991 as an added bonus with a 20th anniversary promo book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I fear you are correct from Stairway to Heaven Wiki

Ouch. That's got to hurt.

I created a playlist yesterday of my tracks and realised this morning the released as a single rule.

At least one of my tracks is likely to fall foul of this.

One track in particular, was released as a B side to another single so I'm hoping the fact that it was available for purchase outside of just on an album will qualify it as such. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Wasn't around in the 70's so I'll be nominating the more famous songs, you old farts can nominate the song you had your first slow dance to :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

This is too hard :(:(:(

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    This is too hard :(:(:(

Yep, I'm just doing my list now, and it's going to be very hard to cut it down to 10.

Advertisement