Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Best Song of the 70s

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I wonder will our 70s tastes align any better than our 90s? I suspect not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

quickbeam wrote: »
    I wonder will our 70s tastes align any better than our 90s? I suspect not.

There’s quite a wide variety so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

ShaneU wrote: »
    Wasn't around in the 70's so I'll be nominating the more famous songs, you old farts can nominate the song you had your first slow dance to :pac:

Shouldn't you be on TikTok?

Done, but RIP to all those that got left behind :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

First time sending in nominations. Very excited!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭EEFGGFEDCCDEED

I've submitted 10, could easily have given 30.

I signed up to Boards just for this thread after somehow stumbling upon the 80's one.

I currently have 13 sets of nominations, which are spread over 115 songs!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My not-so shortlist currently has 28 songs on it. I think I'll have to stop now before I get to the point where picking 10 is impossible. It's already going to be tough.

I feel your pain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

That thing with certain songs not been singles kind of helped me decide on the 10 that I nominated easier.

I was looking to nominate a Rolling Stones songs, but none of their 70's singles is in my favourites Stones songs - The only one would be "You Can't Always Get What You Want" which was released as a single in 1973 - but this was a re-release of sorts, as it was initially in the Let It Bleed album, which was 1969 - so I didn't nominate it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

List sent, that was more difficult than I expected.

Kolido wrote: »
    List sent, that was more difficult than I expected.

Ya my original list was like the long list for the Booker Prize. Didn't think it would be that difficult.

15 Nominations in at this stage covering 124 songs.

Just got mine in, that was torture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'll try to do up a list tomorrow and get it over to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Just submitted mine there.

My favourite 70s song I only heard for the first time in the last year or so when I heard it covered by Corey Taylor at a live gig. It's an amazing track. I prefer his version but the original was worth a nomination and given the original has 400 million listens on Spotify the band I'd never heard of before were/are clearly popular. I doubt I've given the song away to too many people by saying the above!

Two other songs I picked are actually because I liked covers done in the 90s / 00s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I was planning on nominating Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac but it was actually released in the late 80's!

I found it a bit tougher than I expected as some of my songs were released in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was planning on nominating Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac but it was actually released in the late 80's!

I found it a bit tougher than I expected as some of my songs were released in the 80's.

There were singles released from at least two Fleetwood Mac albums in the 1970s: Fleetwood Mac and Rumours, particularly the latter. But you can't nominate the very popular The Chain, from Rumours, as it was not released as a single!

Just checked my list and two of my nominations need to come out

Fleetwood Mac Landslide was only released as a live single in the 90s and Comfortable Numb by Pink Floyd was only released in 1980.

I've sent a PM there now to clarify

I don't have two replacements as I struggled to get to ten!

Fleetwood Mac Singles:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac_discography#Singles

Note the 1970s entries. The first one from the 1970s (The Green Manalishi) was at the end of the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac. He was the original founder and it was quite a different band then, being a British blues band.

A lot of you should recognise some or all of the singles released off the Rumours album. The start of the Lyndsey Buckingham-Stevie Nicks era was the album Fleetwood Mac - see the singles starting in 1975.

Fleetwood Mac Singles:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac_discography#Singles

Note the 1970s entries. The first one from the 1970s (The Green Manalishi) was at the end of the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac. He was the original founder and it was quite a different band then, being a British blues band.

A lot of you should recognise some or all of the singles released off the Rumours album. The start of the Lyndsey Buckingham-Stevie Nicks era was the album Fleetwood Mac - see the singles starting in 1975.

I must admit I had Landslide in my list because I discovered it when Smashing Pumpkins covered it! I didn't check if it had been released as a single sadly

Same as Comfortably Numb which I discovered when covered by Staind.

70s being before my time meant I wasn't that into the original artists

• Advertisement

There were singles released from at least two Fleetwood Mac albums in the 1970s: Fleetwood Mac and Rumours, particularly the latter. But you can't nominate the very popular The Chain, from Rumours, as it was not released as a single!

Also several singles from Tusk, including the title track, which is one of my favourite Fleetwood Mac songs but I completely forgot about it for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Funnily enough I originally had 5 Fleetwood Mac songs on my list, all if which were eligible, but for all of these comps I've imposed a 1 song per artist rule upon myself, so eventually went with one of their better known hits in the hopes it will go far in the competition. I did however die a little inside when I cut Tusk and Rhiannon from my list.

I submitted my nominations this evening. I tried to cover various genres, different parts of the decade and only one song per artiste. It was impossible to achieve it all with just ten songs, so hopefully the other nominations will include those I ran out of room for.

I'm running at 168 individual songs at the moment which is a good selection, a good few I wasn't familiar with. I'll probably close the nominations tomorrow evening and try and get a start on it on Wednesday all going well.

And here is the live thread

I've thrown up the first qualifier. Won't get to do too many today though

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112375679#post112375679

Advertisement