Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY: Pernitted time

• 26-01-2020 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this.

A neighbour is stating I cannot make any noise after 6pm Mon to Fri and only up to 1pm on Sat. It is my understanding these are the construction works limits set by councils for sites etc, not domestic renovation (decoration) by a property owner. Am I correct the limit for noise from this is 10pm Mon to Fri and 8 on weekends?

I am trying to be respectful, and don't start early or finish late. I just need to know where I stand

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

A neighbour is stating I cannot make any noise after 6pm Mon to Fri and only up to 1pm on Sat. It is my understanding these are the construction works limits set by councils for sites etc, not domestic renovation (decoration) by a property owner. Am I correct the limit for noise from this is 10pm Mon to Fri and 8 on weekends?

I am trying to be respectful, and don't start early or finish late. I just need to know where I stand

There is no law on times for neighbors. But there is common sense and decency.

Your neighbor is being unreasonable here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

listermint wrote: »
    There is not law on times for neighbors. But there is common sense and decency.

+1
    Your neighbour is or has now set out limits for themselves aswell as you,
    If or when they decide to carry out some home improvements themselves then you have the right to remind them of the rule they created back when you were doing yours.

I reckon there jealous of your ability to improve your home, or sour that they cant watch tv without the wife nudging them to say "will you do this for me"

I let my neighbours make all the noise they want; they even chased out there fireplace to fit a back boiler;
    Allowing this then allows us to make the same level of noise without apology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Neighbour beside me would be fond of the grinding and banging at various times,as would I. Not a problem.

However if its after 10pm he will be getting a little visit.
    Told...not asked to stop.We get on great but after 10pm is the cut off point.

DIY stuff is usually fine up until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thanks for all the input. I think they are not the DIY type. That's OK, not everyone is. I would have no problem with anyone making noise within the permitted limits. While working the repeated visits are annoying. Yesterday, I was accused of making noise and I wasnt, which was funny as they went off to see who else it couid be. I am fed up now and will regard any further visits as harassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Load of sh*te OP. Some neck giving you those self-made rules.

Has there been issues with the neighbour leading up to them saying that to you or was it after the first time you made noise outside of their rules?

Do they have a baby or reason they've even given?

If there's no legit reason here and it was after 1 incident I'd be nice and polite but inform them your only opportunity to do work is after 6pm weekdays and on weekend. Pretty much all day sat is fair game, Sundays you want to try do as little as possible but I think after 11am and finished by 6pm is still fine if you're stuck for time to get something done.

If you're going to be at this for months on end you'll have a problem but if it's a few jobs maybe just explain what you need to get done and how long it'll take...things like this have a tendency to escalate usually due to lack of communication or one party being an ar$e :D

• Advertisement

In my experience, common decency and courtesy says no loud noise after 10pm, and not before 9am if avoidable.

Day of the week is irrelevant. Where I live most people do DIY at the weekend. During the early parts of the summer you hear saws and hammers going all day over the weekends as people catch up on doing stuff.

Idioteque wrote: »
    Load of sh*te OP. Some neck giving you those self-made rules.

Has there been issues with the neighbour leading up to them saying that to you or was it after the first time you made noise outside of their rules?

Do they have a baby or reason they've even given?

If there's no legit reason here and it was after 1 incident I'd be nice and polite but inform them your only opportunity to do work is after 6pm weekdays and on weekend. Pretty much all day sat is fair game, Sundays you want to try do as little as possible but I think after 11am and finished by 6pm is still fine if you're stuck for time to get something done.

If you're going to be at this for months on end you'll have a problem but if it's a few jobs maybe just explain what you need to get done and how long it'll take...things like this have a tendency to escalate usually due to lack of communication or one party being an ar$e :D

Totally agree with your post. He seems a bit sensitive, and a passive aggressive bully. There has been no mention of a baby. It seems to be he does not want noise. I had no dealing with him before. He approached me the very first time I made noise. He asked me if I would be long and I said no, maybe another hour. It ended being about 1.30, all the time I was keeping it as quiet as I could with the hammer and chisel. I told him I could have started at 8am and used an angle grinder but did neither out of courtesy to neighbours.

The next week they came and knocked again shortly after I started at 2pm saying I couid not work on a Sunday. I said I could and I was doing nothing wrong. I said I would be finished at 5 and was. He seemed happy with that or so I thought. I was not making a lot of noise, just removing grout with a multitool at a very low setting

Yesterday they knocked at 2pm to say they had been in touch with DCC and they said I was not permitted to work after 1pm on Sat or at all on Sunday. I said that was wrong. I then asked why are you telling me this as I am not making any noise He apologised and said he thought I was.
    I just said I am not making noise and I heard nobody making noise. He said he would see who was making it but affirmed I could not make any noise after 1pm or tomorrow if that was my intention. I was quite irked by his arrogant attitude. Although polite, he is incorrect trying to dictate what I can do and when. The worst types in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

listermint wrote:

This is true but op mentioned 10pm. Drilling up to 10pm is just as unreasonable.

Neighbour might have kids going to bed at 8pm. A little respect from both sides is always required for good neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

My advice would be to find a way to make friends with them. You're gonna be there years, not great to be enemies. :)

At least try the diplomatic approach. If it doesn't work then you were the better person.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is true but op mentioned 10pm. Drilling up to 10pm is just as unreasonable.

Neighbour might have kids going to bed at 8pm. A little respect from both sides is always required for good neighbours.

Sorry, I don't know where you got that. I said people are permitted to do work up to 10pm, I have not done this or any where close. Each time it was mid-afternoon and over before 5.
    There are are no kids. It just seems this person does not want any noise. That's just as unreasonable as your scenario with kids going to bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Kaisr Sose wrote:
    Sorry, I don't know where you got that. I said people are permitted to do work up to 10pm, I have not done this or any where close. Each time it was mid-afternoon and over before 5. There are are no kids. It just seems this person does not want any noise. That's just as unreasonable as your scenario with kids going to bed

I didn't say that you were drilling until 10pm. I said that you mentioned 10pm as a possible cut off time. I'm not having a pop at you.

My point for neighbours in general is mutual respect. Give & take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭dathi

Yesterday they knocked at 2pm to say they had been in touch with DCC and they said I was not permitted to work after 1pm on Sat or at all on Sunday. I said that was wrong. I then asked why are you telling me this as I am not making any noise
    e.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-water-waste-and-environment-air-quality-monitoring-and-noise-control-noise/noisy

that is the dcc page as you can see they do not get involved in any disputes about noise from neighbors the times he is quoting to you are from their construction site noise page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Here you are are you correct, further down you say you are correct: where did you get these times from?

What exactly are you at when you say decoration: sandblasting?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

Steve wrote: »
    My advice would be to find a way to make friends with them. You're gonna be there years, not great to be enemies. :)

At least try the diplomatic approach. If it doesn't work then you were the better person.

I really don't get this attitude, why on earth would you want to be friendly with someone who clearly has no interest in returning the behavior.....the old Irish way.. 'for a peaceful life' irks me alot, if someone is acting the d**k then call them out don't pally up to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Doop wrote: »
    I really don't get this attitude, why on earth would you want to be friendly with someone who clearly has no interest in returning the behavior.....the old Irish way.. 'for a peaceful life' irks me alot, if someone is acting the d**k then call them out don't pally up to them!

Because everyone thinks themselves reasonable.

Here you are are you correct, further down you say you are correct: where did you get these times from?

What exactly are you at when you say decoration: sandblasting?

I cant find any clear guidelines hence the post. I am willing to be reasonable but I won't have someone attempt to restrict my right to improve my property within normal time lines, or use building site limits on me. Nobody could do diy jobs if you were restricted to general works times.
    And I am not sandblasting. Removing a few broken tiles, old grout with a multitool at low power and repairing a floor ( saw and sander). No angle grinder used due to the noise, eve though that would have been quicker removing old tile adhesive. It should not matter what you are doing if you are reasonable in the times you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Doop wrote: »
    why on earth would you want to be friendly with someone who clearly has no interest in returning the behavior.....

Maybe I phrased that badly. I suggest a friendly attitude towards them - which I think the OP is trying. Going straight to a confrontational attitude will serve nobody well.

The neighbour may be an asshat but there's no need to return the same attitude.

When I bought my house, I gutted it - slowly - working a few hours each evening. I always kept the neighbours in the loop and explained that it would never be late at night and if they had any issues to let me know.

A few years later, next door sold and the new owner did the same as me. I had no problem with that and even put the sleeves up to help them on occasion.

Now, all that said, Kaisr Sose, your neighbour does appear to be an unreasonable see you next tuesday so I really wish you the best with that, I still think you should attempt a friendly chat rather than a confrontation approach. As I said earlier, you're gonna be there for years and, as the saying goes, enemies accumulate. :)

@Steve
    I had to think about the Tuesday comment. Not sure, but they definately need to lighten up a it.

Its reassuring that people agree he is being unreasonable or difficult while I am trying to restrict noise to limited periods. I would not make the noise if it was not necessary. His approach from day one was along the lines of do you need to make this noise and can you not just stop now because I have said its annoying me. How long more will you be ? The act of calling three times in mid-afternoon and callng the council says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

Very sad to see you are so so closed having a transformed life, ever!
    consider doing the LMF in Dublin in early February
    https://www.landmarkworldwide.com

haha
    Take your spam elsewhere

Advertisement