Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25 Years Ago.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I note the contributions from ManU fans determined not to let something small like a fan dying in the unrest that followed cloud their celebration of the event.

Spot on.

The masks thing was very ugly.

And Palace fans do remember it for his death, it just seems that this angers some who see it all as bants because Cantona didn't kill the fan himself, he was merely the catalyst.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    No you can't. It's one of those unforeseen consequences, because some Utd fans perceived that it was Palace fans fault for Cantona getting banned, some of the casuals went around looking for someone to batter. They blamed Palace fans and wanted revenge.

I think though it was a bit tasteless of some Utd supporters organisations to suggest wearing Cantona masks to Selhurst park in 2005 to mark the 10 year anniversary of the incident.

For Palace fans the event is associated with the death of Paul Nixon, for Utd fans it's about a club legend being a bit nuts and they love him.

I think I remember it being on BBC, we were watching it at home and I was sent to bed just as it was happening. That might be a false memory though, it was probably on Sky.

In my mind I saw it happen live but the game wasn't actually televised. Must have saw it on the news.
    BBC football daily dedicated a podcast to it last Friday, worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I note the contributions from ManU fans determined not to let something small like a fan dying in the unrest that followed cloud their celebration of the event.

Spot on.

The masks thing was very ugly.

And Palace fans do remember it for his death, it just seems that this angers some who see it all as bants because Cantona didn't kill the fan himself, he was merely the catalyst.

Christ you really do have an unhealthy obsession with United.

Anything else you want to pin onto Cantona or United? Global Warming perhaps? JFK assasination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

pjohnson wrote: »

Anything else you want to pin onto Cantona or United? Global Warming perhaps? JFK assasination?

I mean their logo and nickname literally contains the devil

Clear evil

pjohnson wrote: »

A man was killed the next time the clubs met. Just an ordinary fan going to a game.

I'm merely pointing it out.

Don't get too hysterical with nonsense references to JFK or whether I apologised for it. You can stop dancing all over his grave and concede that was horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I vaguely remember it.
    Waited up to watch the highlights on Sportsnight without knowing what had happened. Des Lynam came on at the start saying you've never seen anything like this or something along those lines.
    His ban cost United the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A man was killed the next time the clubs met. Just an ordinary fan going to a game.

I'm merely pointing it out.

Don't get too hysterical with nonsense references to JFK or whether I apologised for it. You can stop dancing all over his grave and concede that was horrendous.

Ah, now. To claim that you are "merely pointing it out" is disengenous. At least own what you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s still a completely mad event a quarter of a century on. Cantona was lucky that who he assaulted was as big a cretinous excuse for a human as he was. I’d wonder how much more harsh the ban might have been if the “victim” had held a cleaner back story. Though I always like the commentary quip ‘the only other thing Cantona did wrong was stop hitting him’.

As mad as it all was, it has happened in other sports too, the “malice in the palace” a few years later being an even madder event:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacers–Pistons_brawl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

$5M fine effectively. I'm surprised this hasn't happened a lot more at BB games. Drunk Americans are very involved in their sports. I see they limited alcohol sales at games thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Can't say I really agree with the whole bash the fash take on what Cantona did that night. He has no idea who he is hitting, is lucky to actually not have hit the woman standing next to Simmons (also 2-3 kids in the crowd behind him - somebody think of the children!), and I've always thought he was lucky not to have seriously injured himself landing on the boarding after the attack.

I don't even know why Cantona is walking along the main stand, shouldn't he have gone into the tunnel between the dugouts?

Simmons was a 20/21 year old goon who should have been ignored. There's no instance where hitting people because of what they've said to you is ok. Especially when you are a professional sports star in front of thousands of people, with thousands more potentially watching on tv or listening in on radio. And that also goes for racially insulting, biting, kicking, handballing, cheating etc they have a duty to play the game as it was meant to be played.

If you are struck - 100% fight back - but the moment you end up hitting people for insults or disagreeable views you'll just go down the route the right-wing goons and Antifa want.

Should John Barnes have waded into the crowd after a banana is thrown at him and started boxing heads? I think the photo of him doing a backheel with the banana is a thousand times more powerful message than any punch or kick could have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Can't say I really agree with the whole bash the fash take on what Cantona did that night. He has no idea who he is hitting, is lucky to actually not have hit the woman standing next to Simmons (also 2-3 kids in the crowd behind him - somebody think of the children!), and I've always thought he was lucky not to have seriously injured himself landing on the boarding after the attack.

I don't even know why Cantona is walking along the main stand, shouldn't he have gone into the tunnel between the dugouts?

Simmons was a 20/21 year old goon who should have been ignored. There's no instance where hitting people because of what they've said to you is ok. Especially when you are a professional sports star in front of thousands of people, with thousands more potentially watching on tv or listening in on radio. And that also goes for racially insulting, biting, kicking, handballing, cheating etc they have a duty to play the game as it was meant to be played.

If you are struck - 100% fight back - but the moment you end up hitting people for insults or disagreeable views you'll just go down the route the right-wing goons and Antifa want.

Should John Barnes have waded into the crowd after a banana is thrown at him and started boxing heads? I think the photo of him doing a backheel with the banana is a thousand times more powerful message than any punch or kick could have done.

The tunnel in Selhurst Park is down at the corner of the ground where he was walking to.

I remember this well, I remember it being talked about on the news and then Des Lynham on the mid week Match of the Day (or whatever sports program they showed the highlights on back then) starting the show off saying you will not believe what has been done.

Being a Liverpool fan I was delighted he was getting a long time ban, but that thought came back to haunt me with his performance in his first game back against them and the goal in the FA Cup final the following year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

ozzy jr wrote: »
    No, you dont have to accept abuse at your place of work, regardless of your profession.

Does this extend to Ed Woodward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Green&Red wrote: »
    Does this extend to Ed Woodward?

Think of how many young human rights researchers arsonists were inspired by those actions last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

kona wrote: »
    Still makes me smile. What a legend. Pity about where manchester united are now. Could do with a cantona.

They had Zlatan kind of a modern cantona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    They had Zlatan kind of a modern cantona

Except much better at football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Love it.

Love it more that it annoys people
    Well not really ....

He goes on about being a "Human rights activist"

Yet he gives money to groups that murder jews ...

If you want to see someone who truly is defeating racism by enlightenment and dialogue and discussion of ideas

https://youtu.be/oGTQ0Wj6yIg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

8-10 wrote: »

Of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Well not really ....

He goes on about being a "Human rights activist"

Yet he gives money to groups that murder jews ...

If you want to see someone who truly is defeating racism by enlightenment and dialogue and discussion of ideas

https://youtu.be/oGTQ0Wj6yIg

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

:pac::pac:
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I loved the quote when he said it was the highlight of his career. You have to admire the honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TomSweeney wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

It was better then your first reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not a Man U fan, or a Liverpool fan, or a fan of any other EPL team...personally I don't get the nostalgic glow off the incident at all.

His generally enigmatic nature might have something to do with it I suppose.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

8-10 wrote: »

Was he. Cantona was an outrageously talented footballer.

He could bamboozle and embarrass opposition players without so much as breaking a sweat. He had super technique, he scored important goals.

Zlatan didn't have the profound impact on any club the way Cantona did.

He's certainly a better athlete, stronger, fitter, faster, and a brilliant football player, but Cantona was a more watchable player when in his pomp.

He was a bit more efficient, didn't do things for the sake of it looking good like Zlatan might, and he genuinely improved players around him.

I say this as someone who liked Zlatan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Comparing players from different eras is always next to impossible.

Advertisement