Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase to market rate

Options
  • 26-01-2020 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I've been renting this place for years and at the moment I'm paying under market rate (its covering his mortgage). I have a good standing relationship with my LL (we've been friends years). The house is in an rpz. Can the landlord just bump up the rent hundreds to market rates? I'm not sure if I can afford it. I've never had a rent increase in this place. Does he just have to put it up 4%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I've been renting this place for years and at the moment I'm paying under market rate (its covering his mortgage). I have a good standing relationship with my LL (we've been friends years). The house is in an rpz. Can the landlord just bump up the rent hundreds to market rates? I'm not sure if I can afford it. I've never had a rent increase in this place. Does he just have to put it up 4%

Does he have to ?not at all. Does he want to ?

As it's been unrate for I'd assume.for more than the 2 years he can up it alot more. Calculater is on the rtb site.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

I'll check out the calculator. A 4% increase would be fine. To bring it to market rates would be a lot more than 4%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I'll check out the calculator. A 4% increase would be fine. To bring it to market rates would be a lot more than 4%

What is your FRIEND asking for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Input your details into the RTB calculator here:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

If your rent hasn't been increased in many years the permitted increase is going to be more than 4% but the increase is unlikely to be to full market rate.

Advertisement