Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Decide - Best Noughties Song - Tournament Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Pink - Just Like A Pill, a good song but should be nowhere near the finals. However, I prefer it to FF

Eminem - Lose Yourself, best song left, a worthy winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

P!nk - Just Like A Pill - I was about to vote for Take Me Out here, but listening to the two songs back to back, it has to be Just Like A Pill... I'm a big fan of a strong female vocalist, and P!nk I think is up there with the best of them, and this is one of my favourite songs of hers. She's also left a longer lasting impression as an artist than Franz Ferdinand have (although if this had been their far superior song Jacqueline in contention right now, it'd probably be a very different story).

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood - personally I think this would've made a great final, both quality tunes. Clint Eastwood is one of my all-time favourite songs though, and brings back a lot of good memories of certain people for me, which is why I nominated it and why I'm voting for it to be in the final, even though its undoubtedly got a big hitter to take down here if its to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

1. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out - Just loved this from first time I heard it. Not really into their other stuff but this is a good song.

2. Eminem - Lose Yourself - His best song. Also if there’s no Oasis in last four then Albarn doesn’t belong there either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Franz Ferdinand - this was one of my nominations, and is way better than Pink

Eminem - Not a massive fan, but this is way better than Gorillaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Franz Ferdinand - because it's a great song and because Alex Kapranos seems like a pretty cool guy!!

Eminem - I don't like rap at all and he was always coming across as very rude (although it could all be a facade). But 8 Mile was a great movie and Lose Yourself captures the essence of the film perfectly. A well deserved Oscar too!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Semi Final 1
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out. One of my nominations. Reminds me a bit of my favourite band, Talking Heads.

Semi Final 2
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood. Also one of my nominations. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I really can't stand Eminem. That said, Clint Eastwood is a really cool, laid back song and deserves to win in its own right, not just because I think Eminem is really sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Pink - Just Like A Pill - cause blah blah blha blah is boring, like 1 note the whole song. SNOOOORE and also now I might confess I love PINK!

Eminem - Lose Yourself and I that Gorillaz song is not the best. Lose yourself is just a better song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Pink-Like A Pill
    So this is the only song in this whole thread that I hadn't heard before that really stood out. There was an Xx song that was ok too. I thought that the noughties were a bad time for music and this thread hasn't changed my opinion unfortunately. It's not exactly Don't Fear the Reaper v Bohemian Rhapsody is it?

Eminem-Lose Yourself
    I really like the pre-chorus stop-start rap rhythm -"oh, there goes rabbit" etc.

The biggest joke is Franz Ferdinand though. You people do realise that it's an anonymous vote and you're not going to receive any cool points or street cred, right?

I hope all nine of the people that voted for 'Take Me Out' over 'Stan' get a severe bout of diarrhea.

And you do realise that people like different things and we're not all obliged to like whatever music you like, yeah?

• Advertisement

The over-35s are back and have been sippin' on one too many craft beers.

Zaph wrote: »
    And you do realise that people like different things and we're not all obliged to like whatever music you like, yeah?

Stan is objectively a better song than Take Me Out.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No it's not. This is just your opinion. . .

These best song of X decade threads are great fun and have been well run by Necro, Kolido and rainbow trout - apologies if I missed someone

People like different music, it’s all down to personal taste but in every decade there’s been accusations of musical snobbery or hipsterism.

Leave it out, enjoy and vote for what you like. The result won’t decide who’s running the country or whether we shoot ourselves in head and leave EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The biggest joke is Franz Ferdinand though. You people do realise that it's an anonymous vote and you're not going to receive any cool points or street cred, right?

I hope all nine of the people that voted for 'Take Me Out' over 'Stan' get a severe bout of diarrhea.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Pink - Just Like A Pill. It reminds me of my bestie singing it back when we were young 'uns.
    JUST LIKE A PILL!! INSTEAD OF MAKING ME BETTER YOU KEEP MAKING ME ILL!!

Eminem - Lose Yourself. Absolutely fantastic. Loved him back in the day. A very talented man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Collie D wrote: »
    These best song of X decade threads are great fun and have been well run by Necro, Kolido and rainbow trout - apologies if I missed someone

People like different music, it’s all down to personal taste but in every decade there’s been accusations of musical snobbery or hipsterism.

Leave it out, enjoy and vote for what you like. The result won’t decide who’s running the country or whether we shoot ourselves in head and leave EU.

You say that now.... but wait till Necro decides to run

Boardsies Decide - The Best Song of All Time

:pac::pac:

LOSE YOSELF IN THE MUSIC THE MOMENT YOU OWN IT YOU GOTTA NEVER LET IT GO!!

Necro wrote: »

I will help you collect the bodies!!!! :D

I was only just wondering if that would happen. Looking forward to it mostly just to see if it tallies in any way with the results of individual decades.

• Advertisement

DO IT

DO IT

DO IT

giphy.gif

DO NOT MISS YOUR CHANCE TO GROW!!!!!!

I think Persepoly has gone mad folks.

I'm not really sure what your problem is with anyone outside your own demographic, but this is a friendly forum where people get on with one another and any slagging is good natured. So how about you drop the attitude and just take the forum for what it is, a bit of harmless fun?

Again, in your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Were these all just qualifiers?

Quarter Finalists from each decade into the Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Semi Final 1
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
    VS
    Pink - Just Like A Pill

Franz Ferdinand, one of my nominations and a much better song

Semi Final 2
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
    VS
    Eminem - Lose Yourself

Two really good songs but I'll go with Gorillaz because of its originality and a cracking video

Well I won't run anything until the 60s comp concludes but then we shall seeeeeeeeeee :D

Take me out

My nomination and worthy of final

Eminem

Worthy finalist too. Amazing artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out Pink has had a good run but it should stop here. Franz Ferdinand defined my college years and even though Im not into that kind of music usually, this was a stomper and still is.

Eminem - Lose Yourself Eminem's best work imo. One of the best soundtracks to a motion picture too. The video is stellar also. It's self aware, it's grim, it's gritty, it's cool and it's just unreal.

• Advertisement

Well I won't run anything until the 60s comp concludes but then we shall seeeeeeeeeee :D

There’s a really evil part of me that wants to see the absolute ****storm when Bohemian Rhapsody gets knocked out in first round by Barbie Girl.

new nominations definitely. 1 per person!

There’s a really evil part of me that wants to see the absolute ****storm when Bohemian Rhapsody gets knocked out in first round by Barbie Girl.

Forget about waiting for that to happen, I'm ready to kick off now just at the very suggestion!

So you're not gonna throw a 2010's into the mix first as well? ;)

So you're not gonna throw a 2010's into the mix first as well?

Errrr.....

Even I don't like much music from 2010 onwards :pac:

Guys do yourself a favour and watch this. It's flawless and so bloody cool.

So you're not gonna throw a 2010's into the mix first as well? ;)

Pfft..that decade doesn’t even have a proper name to use in thread title.

Just over 10 minutes left to vote.

I'll bring the popcorn!!!:P

• Advertisement

Errrr.....

Even I don't like much music from 2010 onwards :pac:

2010's has some fantastic stuff - take a break from your usual genres Necro and go listen to some 2010's Rock, Alternative, or Indie. :cool:

Looks like the first semi will go down to the wire. . .

Omackeral wrote: »
    Guys do yourself a favour and watch this. It's flawless and so bloody cool.

Never heard of her, that's really cool. Had a look at her Youtube channel and she's also covered another semi-finalist

Voting Closed.

Never heard of her, that's really cool. Had a look at her Youtube channel and she's also covered another semi-finalist

And this!!!

I was only just wondering if that would happen. Looking forward to it mostly just to see if it tallies in any way with the results of individual decades.

Bohemian Rhapsody v Smells Like Teen Spirit? Cos there's no way Joy Division are winning that one :pac:.... and I say that as someone who likes their music.

• Advertisement

Look up Post Modern Jukebox Zaph. She works with them. They've such good stuff.

My personal fave. His range and mannerisms.

Or another hitter in this very comp oozing sex appeal. Real life Jessica Rabbit.

Semi Final 2..... was a slight tanking as Marshall Mathers gains revenge for the earlier demise of The Real Slim Shady in stunning fashion.

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood 3 17 Eminem - Lose Yourself

Semi Final 1..... was decided by Reberetta's late, late vote.... meaning...

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out 10 11 Pink - Just Like A Pill

Pink - Just Like A Pill
    Eminem - Lose Yourself

Are our two finalists!!

A great day for the parish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Pink - Just Like A Pill
    Eminem - Lose Yourself

Are our two finalists!!

Damn over-35, craft beer drinking, 'gig' going hipsters :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Semi Final 2..... was a slight tanking as Marshall Mathers gains revenge for the earlier demise of The Real Slim Shady in stunning fashion.

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood 3 17 Eminem - Lose Yourself

tenor.gif?itemid=12950155

• Advertisement
Advertisement