Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Decide - Best Noughties Song - Tournament Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Is Teenage Dirtbag a dark horse for the title...?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Greenday - Waiting 5-1 The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa 0-5 Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag
    Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi 0-5 Muse - Uprising
    Ben Folds-Rockin The Suburbs 5-3 Trash Fashion-It's A Rave Dave

Back tomorrow with more folks.

For reals this time :pac:

We'll finish up the qualifiers fairly quickly anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Necro wrote: »
    Back tomorrow with more folks.

For reals this time :pac:

We'll finish up the qualifiers fairly quickly anyways

What time you thinking of starting?

I think it will take something really really good to knock it out tbh

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    What time you thinking of starting?

Probably about 11 or so.

Late one planned, watching the Royal Rumble tonight :D

Nah, the pretentious music lovers (of Muse and Arctic Monkeys) that love going to 'gigs' will see it one of them does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No, I'd say something that had multiple nominations will be....I'm calling Mr. Brightside now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

How am I the only one who nominated Teenage Dirtbag by the way? I very nearly didn't, thinking someone else definitely would have it in the mix.

No, I'd say something that had multiple nominations will be....I'm calling Mr. Brightside now.

Has to be the bookies favourite, but I think it'll stumble along the way...

• Advertisement

How am I the only one who nominated Teenage Dirtbag by the way? I very nearly didn't, thinking someone else definitely would have it in the mix.

I was shocked too tbh, expected it to get at least two or three.

Nah, the pretentious music lovers (of Muse and Arctic Monkeys) that love going to 'gigs' will see it one of them does.

Hey, I like muse & Arctic Monkeys, I am not 'pretentious '
    & I actually voted for wheatus in that round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hope its not even in the running. They had at least 4 better singles, and wouldn't even peg any of those as a winner.

Linkin Park for the win!!!

Yeah, damn hipsters with their makey-uppy words like 'gigs'. Music lovers ruin music for everyone else

To fill your music needs for the rest of the evening, don't forget the album cover quiz to end all album cover quizzes!

Album Covers PEEHS 2: PEEHS Harder

3 of my nominations already gone, 3 qualified, 4 yet to appear.

The three I lost were Sweetness, Crystalised and Lazy Eye- the latter two went out to decent tunes in fairness but Sweetness losing to Katy Perry is just unacceptable. :mad:

Good going Necro, cheers for all the organising.

3 of my nominations already gone, 3 qualified, 4 yet to appear.

The three I lost were Sweetness, Crystalised and Lazy Eye- the latter two went out to decent tunes in fairness but Sweetness losing to Katy Perry is just unacceptable. :mad:

Good going Necro, cheers for all the organising.

Would've liked to see Sweetness advance myself. 'Twas another one that had made the shortlist for me.

I'm also very glad I put The Verve - Love Is Noise in for your Walrus as I suspect that may have helped it gather 1 or 2 votes here today, especially as I was MIA for that match myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I would have nommed avril myself there so glad i didnt with it getting trounced so easily

Hope we see Elbow - One Day Like This, Incubus - Warning, Some Gorillaz stuff along the way in the coming days :)

Catching up on this though has made me reailse some songs i should have nommed for the 90's like Hunger Strike from Temple of the Dog and Stone Temple Pilots Plush. Songs that you just dig out of your brain along the way lol

Really sad to see the Postal Service go too. That was a fantastic nomination whoever sent that in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Rikand wrote: »

Really sad to see the Postal Service go too. That was a fantastic nomination whoever sent that in!
    That was me, unlucky draw

Hope we see Elbow - One Day Like This, Incubus - Warning, Some Gorillaz stuff along the way in the coming days :)

Definitely at least one Gorillaz song in the mix anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Damn, I was out all day and missed all the action!!

7 of my nominations appeared already - only 2 went through, in fairness the only 2 that I expected they have a chance to progress a couple of rounds.
    I will be online tomorrow morning so I will be able to vote in a few - but then I will be at meetings at work in the afternoon.

And I will admit - many songs that I didn't know in these nominations!!! Time to discover some music!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Greenday - Waiting 5-1 The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa 0-5 Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag
    Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi 0-5 Muse - Uprising
    Ben Folds-Rockin The Suburbs 5-3 Trash Fashion-It's A Rave Dave

First appearance of any of mine and both out first time. Wasn't really expecting one of them to progress anyway, and the other came up against the might of Teenage Dirtbag, so it was never going to win. Oh well, 8 more to go...
    Hope we see Elbow - One Day Like This

Got you covered there :)

4 nominations mentioned. 3 through (kasabian - fire, Eminem - the real Slim shady & Amy Winehouse - Valerie.)

I’ve lost Jay Z ft Alicia Keys - Empire State of mind.

Zaph wrote: »
    First appearance of any of mine and both out first time. Wasn't really expecting one of them to progress anyway, and the other came up against the might of Teenage Dirtbag, so it was never going to win. Oh well, 8 more to go...

Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth? I totally forgot about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, was a nice blast from the past to be reminded of them. They had some good tunes, your man's voice is definitely an acquired taste though!

The one I thought would be my most "indulgent" nomination (i.e. personal favourite nobody else would vote for) actually made it through, was very pleasantly surprised!

The one I thought would be my most "indulgent" nomination (i.e. personal favourite nobody else would vote for) actually made it through, was very pleasantly surprised!

Want to know what this is now!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth? I totally forgot about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, was a nice blast from the past to be reminded of them. They had some good tunes, your man's voice is definitely an acquired taste though!

Yeah, you either love him or hate him, and I suspected that most people would either not know them or hate him. :D

Want to know what this is now!
    We Share Our Mother's Health.

I absolutely adore it but my gut feeling was that anyone not already a fan of The Knife would just find it noisy and/or baffling....which it is, but in the best possible way!
    :cool:
    Heartbeats
    would have been a much safer choice....but where's the fun in that? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I've listened to all the songs I didn't know so far and I can say only The xx song stood out to me.

Who knew It's A Rave Dave would only have one nomination and go out in the qualifiers? I guess everyone just assumed that others would nominate it. Oh well, the shoo-in bites the dust, so I guess anything can happen now.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I've listened to all the songs I didn't know so far and I can say only The xx song stood out to me.

I thought Crystalised would have gotten more love, just happened to come up against one of Oasis's strongest songs. Glad you liked it anyway.
    Who knew It's A Rave Dave would only have one nomination and go out in the qualifiers? I guess everyone just assumed that others would nominate it. Oh well, the shoo-in bites the dust, so I guess anything can happen now.

An absolute fix, people knew it was going to win if it progressed so tactically voted against it to save their own nominations from being destroyed. Shameless stuff altogether. :(

• Advertisement

We Share Our Mother's Health.

I absolutely adore it but my gut feeling was that anyone not already a fan of The Knife would just find it noisy and/or baffling....which it is, but in the best possible way!
    :cool:
    Heartbeats
    would have been a much safer choice....but where's the fun in that? :pac:

I was very happy to see it. Will be even happier if I see the safe choice you didn't nom. I didn't get a chance to get my noms in and that's the only song I was concerned about. Hope someone else chose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Went back to listen to the songs I didn't recognise this morning and christ there was some oddball suggestions in the mix!

Surprised by some of the bands/singers I'd never even heard of.

Daniel Merriweather (Red) - Sounds like a song that would have been played on radio and relatively mainstream and I've never either heard of him or the song!

Would have thought Mad World was a way older track

Kid Rock doing a duet with Sheryl Crowe was an unwelcome suprise

How there was so little lover for 3 Doors Down (Here Without You) is astonishing. It's an unbelievable song and pained me not to nominate myself - I assumed someone else would

The video to Sum 41 Hell Song is quality

A few other songs I'd have voted for had I time to listen to them yesterday

Vampire Weekend - A Punk
    The Coral - Dreaming of You
    Mumford & Sons - The Cave

Real mixed bag though so far

I think despite being young and not appreciating them until I was older the 90s was far more suitable to my taste in music!

Hey folks.

Some bad news, I'm going to have to hold off on the rest of this until the weekend :/

Have a few things going on presently that require more attention.

Apologies for the inconvenience :(

(rainbowtrout, feel free to run your 70s tourney whenever and I'll pick this up at the weekend or when you're finished, whichever is first)

No worries Necro, hope all's alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Hope all ok

No bother Necro, there's no rush. I have stuff on myself tonight and possibly tomorrow night, so it will be Wednesday the earliest before I get up and running for the 70s competition. So there's still time to submit nominations to me if anyone wants to that hasn't yet. I have 21 entries coving 157 individual songs so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Werewolf > All

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Werewolf > All

I'll have to see what this werewolf thingy is about. I've seen quite a few threads on it but have not yet ventured into to see what it is/involves.

Okay I'm back on schedule, my flu seems to be dissipating.

I shall resume this whenever the other two contests conclude :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Okay I'm back on schedule, my flu seems to be dissipating.

I shall resume this whenever the other two contests conclude :)

Irish Flu or Chinese Corona Virus?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Irish Flu or Chinese Corona Virus?

Thankfully the Irish version :D

• Advertisement

Tempted to finish the qualifiers today if there are people about.

12 matches left till we hit the first round proper. I think I'll throw up four and see how we go.

Match 61:

The Bravery - Honest Mistake

VS

Lady Gaga-Just Dance

Match 62:

Blink 182 - Feeling This

VS

JJ72 - October Swimmer

Match 63:

Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

VS

Coldplay - Fix You

Match 64:

Empire of the sun - Walking on a dream

VS

T.I. feat Rihanna - Live Your Life

First to five progresses

Gaga

Green Day.

The Bravery - An Honest Mistake - love this song. Made my shortlist, but had to cut it in the end. Kudos to whoever nominated it.

JJ72 - October Swimmer - any other Blink 182 song probably would've won this, but I hate the chorus to Feeling This

Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams - one of my nominations, and probably the last Green Day song releases I actually liked.

T.I. feat. Rihanna - Live Your Life - the lesser of two evils here, neither are awful songs, but wouldn't rank either highly at all.

Gaga
    Blink
    Greenday
    Empire of the sun

Lady Gaga-Just Dance

Blink 182 - Feeling This
    Coldplay - Fix You

Empire of the sun - Walking on a dream

[

I'm out tonight, it's my wedding anniversary WEEEEEEE!!

I'll lob up the other 8 matches and when they're resolved we can move into Round 1 sometime next week.

Match 65:

Cascada - Everytime We Touch

VS

Modest Mouse - Float On

Match 66:

The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition

VS

The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger

Match 67:

The Libertines - Cant stand me now

VS