Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

fash wrote: »
    Edit I should probably add that I do think your post is amusing- is it meant to be a feigned outrage? " Life is like a box of chocolates..."
    "How dare you compare the joys and disappointments of lives to chocolately caramel filled goodness presented in a box - have you no shame". Etc

It's deflection, pure and simple.
    Instead of answering or rebutting your points, he picks one minor element and makes that the focus.

In spite of the damage that Brexit will cause to Ireland, I look forward to passing Brits in the mile long "non-EU" queue in airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

fash wrote:
    As the guy who doesn't care if others (e.g. in Africa or elsewhere) live or die- I'm honestly surprised you care. But as for the reason: this is a rather apt analogy: People and their livelihoods rely on the EU, people and their livelihoods rely on Spotify. In what way do you disagree?

I never said I don't care if Africans live or die. This is the crap social media clowns come up with.
    I made it quite clear I care first and foremost about family, my finances and my country. I never said that I don't care if African people live or die.
    fash wrote:
    Edit I should probably add that I do think your post is amusing- is it meant to be a feigned outrage? " Life is like a box of chocolates..." "How dare you compare the joys and disappointments of lives to chocolately caramel filled goodness presented in a box - have you no shame". Etc
    You are seeing outrage or faux outrage that's not there and coming up with Spotify and Forrest Gump. Ok, good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

eagle eye wrote: »
    I never said I don't care if Africans live or die. This is the crap social media clowns come up with.
    I made it quite clear I care first and foremost about family, my finances and my country. I never said that I don't care if African people live or die.
    You said (and I quote):
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I really do not care about Africa.

You did not say "I care a lot about Ireland but a little bit about Africa" or " of course I care about Africa, but I have a preference for Ireland" - you said you didn't care.

Furthermore you said this in the context of the EU providing a trade agreement which in a small way at limited cost helps the development of Africa and in relation to your objection to said treaty.
    You then stated "...the freeloaders like those African countries."

Perhaps you wish to revise what you said then or what you said now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dead to rights

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

eagle eye wrote:
    That doesn't help much.

It takes nearly 40% of our exports and is the reason why many of the world's most advanced companies have set up here.

That helps quite a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

First Up wrote: »
    It takes nearly 40% of our exports and is the reason why many of the world's most advanced companies have set up here.

That helps quite a lot.

The reason many of the worlds advanced companies have set up here is because we are a highly educated, English speaking country with low touch corporation tax and ready access to the EU market of 445 million people.

The reason many of the worlds advanced companies have/ will remove themselves substantively/ fully from the UK is the UK are removing themselves from said market, and they are a basket case. Ireland in contrast is steady, reliable, trustworthy, dependable.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    The reason many of the worlds advanced companies have set up here is because we are a highly educated, English speaking country with low touch corporation tax and ready access to the EU market of 445 million people.

The reason many of the worlds advanced companies have/ will remove themselves substantively/ fully from the UK is the UK are removing themselves from said market, and they are a basket case. Ireland in contrast is steady, reliable, trustworthy, dependable.

Also, we are culturally very similar to the US, have similar work practices, and are in a workable time zone. The ESTA gets Irish workers into the US with an online form. The flight time between East of Mid USA is not that bad either.
    For premium products like our pharma and medical devices, "Made in Ireland" looks better than "Made in India" or "Made in China".

Also, for any US companies doing research here, it's practically free to hire people, thanks to generous government grants, something like 25% tax rebate for every euro spent.

Plenty of good reasons for US companies to set up here.

fash wrote:
    Perhaps you wish to revise what you said then or what you said now.
    I didn't say anywhere that I didn't care 'if they lived or died', you added that like a typical social media liar.

fash wrote:
    You said (and I quote):

eagle eye wrote:
    I really do not care about Africa. I care about my family, my finances and the Republic of Ireland above all else.
    There's my full post. If you didn't understand that my point was about what's most important to me then I'll add that to the list along with Spotify and the Forrest Gump movie being relevant to people and their livelyhoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

'livelihoods'.

Sorry. Just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

J Mysterio wrote: »

I wonder what the percentage is of Irish people working in the multinationals. I'd say it's much lower than you think. Labour can be imported. Tax reasons are the number 1 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I wonder what the percentage is of Irish people working in the multinationals. I'd say it's much lower than you think. Labour can be imported. Tax reasons are the number 1 draw.
    Last figures I saw, which were from a few years ago, were that multinationals employed about 13% of the Irish workforce, and a further 9% were employed in Irish-owned enterprises that predominantly do business with the multinationals. It's pretty signficant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Blueshoe wrote:

Multinationals operate at the upper end of the knowledge and technology spectrum and come here because the necessary skills are produced by Irish universities. The "labour" imported by Ireland works mostly in construction, food production and retail/hospitality.

Tax is a factor but the business environment, access to the EU and availability of skills, R & D and other support services are what brings high tech FDI here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What First Up says. If Ireland's only competitive avantage were a favourable tax regime, lots of other countries could compete effectively with us for inward direct investment (and indeed lots of countries do compete with us on that factor. We recognised this at least 30 years ago and made a commitment to developing attractions which were not so easily replicated, of which the main one is a highly educated and productive workforce. That meant a huge investment in education and training from the 1980s onwards, at a time when many of those educated and trained were emigrating, but it's a strategy that paid off in the long term.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/

To extension, or not to extension...

"The Brexiters have already found that winning the Referendum was just the beginning of a long and arduous journey – the more so for having no defined destination. They are now about to find that the act of leaving the EU, whilst marking the end of one phase of Brexit, was itself only the easiest part of the process. The first challenge has now arisen in the form of whether they will be pragmatic in finding a way to secure more time given the impact of coronavirus or whether they will remain forever in thrall to paranoid fears of ‘betrayal’.

It is a chance for them to show that, finally, they accept that they have won and that Brexit is happening. In the end it is their ability to do that, rather than any lobbying from business or opposition parties, which will determine what happens on extension. Now comprehensively in charge of government it is a chance for them, and especially Boris Johnson, to show that they have moved on from the culture war slogans that got them this far. But there is very little basis for optimism and, alas, it is far more likely that they will show that those slogans were all they ever had."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

davedanon wrote: »
    https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/

To extension, or not to extension...

"The Brexiters have already found that winning the Referendum was just the beginning of a long and arduous journey – the more so for having no defined destination. They are now about to find that the act of leaving the EU, whilst marking the end of one phase of Brexit, was itself only the easiest part of the process. The first challenge has now arisen in the form of whether they will be pragmatic in finding a way to secure more time given the impact of coronavirus or whether they will remain forever in thrall to paranoid fears of ‘betrayal’.

It is a chance for them to show that, finally, they accept that they have won and that Brexit is happening. In the end it is their ability to do that, rather than any lobbying from business or opposition parties, which will determine what happens on extension. Now comprehensively in charge of government it is a chance for them, and especially Boris Johnson, to show that they have moved on from the culture war slogans that got them this far. But there is very little basis for optimism and, alas, it is far more likely that they will show that those slogans were all they ever had."

Brilliant.

His Brexit blog has been consistently excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

British Democracy must be Respected; Bye Bye Eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

blinding wrote: »

Can you name one instance were it wasn't?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bye bye?
    You have already left! Didn't you know?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Can you name one instance were it wasn't?

Anti-Democratic Re-Mainers and the Eu have not Respected the Democratic Decision of a Sovereign Independent Country.

If you do not Respect the Democratic Decision of a Sovereign Independent Country = What are you = Clue , Not Democrats !

Bye Bye Eu.

Anti-Democratic Re-Mainers and the Eu have not Respected the Democratic Decision of a Sovereign Independent Country.

If you do not Respect the Democratic Decision of a Sovereign Independent Country = What are you = Clue , Not Democrats !

Bye Bye Eu.

How has the EU not respected it?

You're wasting your time. Trump would make more sense.

davedanon wrote: »
    You're wasting your time. Trump would make more sense.

I love this stuff. I want crypto and kidchameleon back as well.

The politics thread is where actual discussion takes place.

I love this stuff. I want crypto and kidchameleon back as well.

The politics thread is where actual discussion takes place.

It's fun for the first while, but the circular arguments get tiresome. I've put my ignore button to good use.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It's fun for the first while, but the circular arguments get tiresome. I've put my ignore button to good use.

True. Crypto was easily the best. Blinding randomly rants about democracy and then that's kind of it.

I thought crypto, blinding and theo were all the same person with multiple personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Bye Bye Eu.
    Amazing stuff there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Let them leave. That is inevitable at this stage. Hopefully the EU is prepared for this and will give them the two fingers.

However.... the UK knows that EU might suffer, well we here in Ireland might suffer more than the other 26. That might may be the lever here.

Anyway, looking for views as to how a Hard Exit might impact Ireland and the EU, if it won't that much then at least the EU negotiators are trying to reach a compromise.

I've been out of touch with all this due to the virus, so forgive me if I come across as naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Let them leave. That is inevitable at this stage. Hopefully the EU is prepared for this and will give them the two fingers.

However.... the UK knows that EU might suffer, well we here in Ireland might suffer more than the other 26. That might may be the lever here.

Anyway, looking for views as to how a Hard Exit might impact Ireland and the EU, if it won't that much then at least the EU negotiators are trying to reach a compromise.

I've been out of touch with all this due to the virus, so forgive me if I come across as naive.
    Ireland would be the worst effected country in the EU in the case of a hard brexit but I think most people here know the uk is playing a dangerous game of chicken and would be delighted to see the EU give the uk the 2 fingers.

Advertisement