Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

We demand "full control of our fisheries". That one always makes me smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Francois is such a pompous windbag. "Maybe you have heard of us". Jesus.

The key phrase that jumps out at me is "A re-negotiated WA and PD". These people are not honourable. EU's gonna tell them to go f*ck themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

There was some travel journalist on BBC news this morning recommending Brits to get a E111 card if they are going on holidays.

Nobody made a reference to or asked what it is in the studio.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

davedanon wrote: »
    The key phrase that jumps out at me is "A re-negotiated WA and PD". These people are not honourable. EU's gonna tell them to go f*ck themselves.
    I honestly doubt that the EU is going to give their letter a response.

• Advertisement

I honestly doubt that the EU is going to give their letter a response.

Oh, I agree. I mean they'll tell the UK to go f*ck itself.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    There was some travel journalist on BBC news this morning recommending Brits to get a E111 card if they are going on holidays.

Nobody made a reference to or asked what it is in the studio.

That's the holiday medical insurance thing, isn't it? Will the Brits still be entitled to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

That's the holiday medical insurance thing, isn't it? Will the Brits still be entitled to it?

e11 is for members of the EU or EEA. Unless it’s reassigned to include a specific third country or U.K. is assigned eea status then no.

The UK has reciprocal health insurance deals with a few non-EU countries, including Australia and New Zealand, under which visitors can receive urgent treatment at a reduced cost or for free.
    In other words, visitors are treated as if they are resident in the country in question. But unlike EHIC, the agreements do not cover pre-existing conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They are currently still entitled to it, as part of the transition deal, so if Brits are going to Real Europe on holidays this summer they can and should get the card. But the current default is that this entitlement will lapse on 31 December, unless the UK and the EU agree otherwise in the meantime. Which is frankly unlikely.

Oh, I agree. I mean they'll tell the UK to go f*ck itself.
    No. They won't make the mistake of treating Francois or the ERG as though they speak for the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Peregrinus wrote: »
    They are currently still entitled to it, as part of the transition deal, so if Brits are going to Real Europe on holidays this summer they can and should get the card. But the current default is that this entitlement will lapse on 31 December, unless the UK and the EU agree otherwise in the meantime. Which is frankly unlikely.

It will really depend on protecting Eu or EEA residents in the U.K. there will be many Brexit supporters vehemently opposing FRitz or Heike getting a bed in a hospital in Bradford but god forbid of wayne can’t see a doc in benidorm

joeguevara wrote: »
    It will really depend on protecting Eu or EEA residents in the U.K. there will be many Brexit supporters vehemently opposing FRitz or Heike getting a bed in a hospital in Bradford but god forbid of wayne can’t see a doc in benidorm
    It's not that. More that I just don't think it's on anyone's agenda, on either side of the talks. The talks are increasing about a bare-bones FTA, which - if it gets made at all - will address [some] tariffs and [some] non-tariff barriers to trade. This is all a thousand miles away from issues like reciprocal benefits for citizens. The UK's decision (a) to go for a very hard Brexit and (b) to have the shortest possible time for negotiating an FTA are, in effect, decisions to abandon concerns like these.

Brexiteers rejoice as Britain on track to leave EU with no delay - 'We did it!'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1302762/brexit-news-uk-boris-johnson-david-frost-michel-barnier-eu-no-deal-transition/amp

Imagine celebrating that the Brexiteer-packed government didn't ask for yet an another extension. What a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Was this posted already?

https://www.ft.com/content/4fd04fd9-7209-4b7c-97a1-97466f226159

GBP, once the global benchmark currency (as in 100 years ago), is now displaying characteristics of an emerging market currency (emerging market being the PC way of saying what we used to refer as "third world").

Brexiteers rejoice as Britain on track to leave EU with no delay further delays - 'We did it!'

I had to fix that........ They seem to have forgotten about all the previous delays!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Was this posted already?

GBP, once the global benchmark currency (as in 100 years ago), is now displaying characteristics of an emerging market currency (emerging market being the PC way of saying what we used to refer as "third world").

Yes, although the FT ran another article subsequently arguing the opposite.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/06/25/1593071844000/Sterling-has-not-become-an-emerging-market-currency/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I had to fix that........ They seem to have forgotten about all the previous delays!
    "Once an extension becomes impossible, however, EU minds will be focused."

Bruges Group director Robert Oulds subsequently told Express.co.uk Boris Johnson was increasingly in a position to pile the pressure on Brussels once the end of June was out of the way.

Mr Oulds said: "The European Union will then know that we mean business in Britain.

Lol

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Lol

It will be the easiest deal in history......

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, although the FT ran another article subsequently arguing the opposite.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/06/25/1593071844000/Sterling-has-not-become-an-emerging-market-currency/

That article is focused on semantics (some of which are wrong).

Overall the article doesn't actually rebuff the prior one with anything resembling facts or data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It will be the easiest deal in history......

They need us more than we need them :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I share residence with England and the US at the moment. What strikes me about England right now is that there's very little introspection. I hear many many supporters of Boris Johnson criticise Donald Trump for thing like lying, promising impossible trade deals, racist comments and being very low on detail.

I thought the BLM movement in the UK would at least bring some introspection about Britain's role in the slave trade ect, however, most of the comments I've seen have been from people complaining about the statue being pulled down.

Finally, it's getting impossible to debate Brexit with Brexit voters or to convince even the moderates I know here that their press is very right wing.

I had this feeling about certain parts of the US but now I feel the UK is too far gone to change things.

Britain to EU: "Give us what we want, or we'll punch ourselves in the face."

EU: "We're not giving you what you want."

<Britain punches itself in face>

Britain: "Give us what we want, or we'll keep punching ourselves in the face"

EU: sigh....

Why would Britons care about some role in the slave trade. Apart from the rich, the industrial revolution was a horrible time. Working in factories and mines was horrible.

It's a class thing and the vast majority back then were working class sending their kids to work so they could eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Tick Tock Tick Tock......what will the EU and UK look like on 1st Jan. 2021???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Was this posted already?

Makes sense to me. You can't have such constant political uncertainty without affecting your economy (incl. stability of the currency) negatively.

It took 3 very fractious years to get the minimal EU withdrawal agreement finalised (and even that hangs under a cloud as there must be doubts UK will abide by some bits [NI] which chafe the current government).

What happens as regards many aspects of relations with UKs biggest trading partners and supposed/former key allies who remain in the EU is still unknown (with < 6 months to go now to end of transition).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Britain to EU: "Give us what we want, or we'll punch ourselves in the face."

EU: "We're not giving you what you want."

<Britain punches itself in face>

Britain: "Give us what we want, or we'll keep punching ourselves in the face"

EU: sigh....

Im choosing to believe this guy is telling the truth. Its a great read either way and a bloody great laugh.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1277505330885386240.html

Nice to have a definitive end date to this whole farce. While it would have been the smart thing to do, I'm sick of extensions. Let them own it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Why would Britons care about some role in the slave trade. Apart from the rich, the industrial revolution was a horrible time. Working in factories and mines was horrible.

It's a class thing and the vast majority back then were working class sending their kids to work so they could eat.

I think a lot of the issues that were raised about colonialism are valuable discussions. I think how we discuss it is important. Statues are a window into our past for good and for ill. Destroying a statue isn't the only way to achieve the introspection we require. It may be the right thing to do so, but if we were to go through every statue to remove them on discovering moral failures, I suspect there would be no statues standing at all. It isn't a simple matter. It is also possible to note the negative sides of peoples characters on information that is accompanied to the statue.

I think the social issues raised by the protests are important. It would be great to list issues that need to be addressed. For example that more black people are imprisoned and systematically work back through why this happens and begin to address some of the root issues. There are valuable things to learn from them even if I disagree with aspects of their approach. It is obvious that as a white person I'm not going to know what black experience is like. It is obvious that things need to be addressed. I'm just not convinced by some of the more extreme language that I need to bemoan my "white privilege", or I need to be ashamed for not showing up to one of their protests.

The idea that most British people don't care about these issues is also not true.
    Brexiteers rejoice as Britain on track to leave EU with no delay - 'We did it!'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1302762/brexit-news-uk-boris-johnson-david-frost-michel-barnier-eu-no-deal-transition/amp

Imagine celebrating that the Brexiteer-packed government didn't ask for yet an another extension. What a victory.

I think the whole country at this stage is rejoicing that this will finally be done. It shouldn't have dragged on this long. That is largely down to remain MPs in the last parliament trying to undermine the referendum result. It should have been simply respected and implemented without that nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Remain MPs like Johnson,JRM, Francois, Davis. Those guys that all voted against the deal negotiated by the PM?

Nobody voted for No Deal. Even the last GE was run on the basis of an oven ready deal.

Nobody was ever asked whether they wanted an extension.

Your thinking seems to be that you are fed up with it so will accept whatever is given to you. That is the blueprint for every trade deal the UK will try to get in future. The other country can either demand a quick resolution on their terms, like Japan, or drag their feet knowing that the UK public will get fed up and accept anything.

Advertisement